Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Training and Safety
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Old November 13th, 2021, 06:07 PM #1

Matis X trading in aid

Anyone know anything about this? Got an email today about it, seems like it would be a good thing for teaching and practice.
reed99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2021, 09:15 PM #2
The Hebrew Hammer

The Hebrew Hammer

I have one. It is quite good for practicing trigger control and grip. My main gripe about it is that it doesn't really understand the idea of an acceptable sight picture; it wants perfection, and that is not always a useful thing in practical shooting. (That is to say, it will punish you for a faster but worse trigger press, even if you would have hit your nominal target - there is no way to specify that you're shooting an A-zone at 7 yards or whatever)
Old November 13th, 2021, 09:25 PM #3

I really need to get the Mantis hooked up to my Sig and practice using it. I bought it a few months ago when ammo prices were insane but have never used it.

But I do have the app downloaded on my phone if that counts for something!

Cal68
Cal68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2021, 01:31 PM #4

I bought one a couple years back and used it a few times. It does what it says, excellent feedback on what’s going on. I love the replay function for each shot where you can see playback of hold, fire and recoil. Very cool.
Work hard, shoot straight, play fair, fight dirty
DanGuy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2021, 01:49 PM #5
My hair is amazing

My hair is amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwos View Post
I have one. It is quite good for practicing trigger control and grip. My main gripe about it is that it doesn't really understand the idea of an acceptable sight picture; it wants perfection, and that is not always a useful thing in practical shooting. (That is to say, it will punish you for a faster but worse trigger press, even if you would have hit your nominal target - there is no way to specify that you're shooting an A-zone at 7 yards or whatever)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGuy48 View Post
I bought one a couple years back and used it a few times. It does what it says, excellent feedback on whatís going on. I love the replay function for each shot where you can see playback of hold, fire and recoil. Very cool.
So, it sounds like it is worthwhile for improving your shooting in the long run?
"The general rule is that an unconstitutional statute, though having the form and name of law, is in reality no law, but is wholly void, and ineffective for any purpose; since unconstitutionality dates from the time of its enactment, and not merely from the date of the decision so branding it.No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it."(16 Am. Jur. 2d, Section 177; later 2d, Section 256)
teratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2021, 01:50 PM #6
The Hebrew Hammer

The Hebrew Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teratos View Post
So, it sounds like it is worthwhile for improving your shooting in the long run?
I think if you stick with it, it will do good things for you. You just need to understand what those good things are.
Old November 18th, 2021, 02:45 PM #7

I think it is pretty awesome. My two favorite uses are the draw analysis (only on the X10), and using it to evaluate hardware changes like a new trigger.
Johnny5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2021, 04:05 PM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by teratos View Post
I think so. I was impressed. It will definitely nitpick with you. I was looking at one session and saw that my grip was such that, on recoil, the muzzle was forcing down quickly after the shot, like I was over compensating, making it hard to rapidly recover the sight picture. The next session, I eased up a bit and then I was letting it go high. It picks up a lot of stuff and I can see where it might get frustrating trying to “make it happy”. On the other hand, it gives you lots of goals in practice. Neat gizmo though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zCXQMm_A08

Work hard, shoot straight, play fair, fight dirty
DanGuy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2021, 04:51 PM #9
One Ping Only...

One Ping Only...

Wish I could chime in on the utility of this training aid but...I just bought a couple of these: one for my wife and one for my son-- for Christmas. I also purchased the AR accessory add on pack for my son. I've never used one-- only watched the videos. My wife is looking forward to breaking it out and working with it. Anything that motivates her to continue to take interest in shooting is a win for me. I have a feeling my son will figure out every little trick you can do with this tool and maximize its capabilities. Hope to give a report in a few weeks.

OMNE TRIUM PERFECTUM
River02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2021, 10:52 PM #10

I just got my MAX-9 last week. It doesnít have a rail to mount the MantisX. So I designed and printed a magazine floor plate adapter to allow me to mount it on the pistol and still practice. Also allows me to practice drawing from concealment.

Honorable people with a good work ethic and strong character have shaped our communities and nation more so than presidents and congressmen. The crisis of character we see in our political leaders is a symptom of our nation's sickness not the cause for the disease.
ToolAA is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Training and Safety