Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rimfire

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 13th, 2018, 01:37 AM #1
MGMTF MGMTF is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bel Air, MD
Posts: 13
MGMTF MGMTF is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bel Air, MD
Posts: 13
FFL/MSP Transfer for .22 Semi-Auto?

I'm not sure if this the right spot for this but I couldn't find any where else.

Been looking at buying a Semi-Auto .22LR (primarily a Marlin 795 but also 10/22) and started looking at some used ones. Two separate ads for 795s and one for a 10/22 said they would meet at FFL or MSP barracks for transfer and background check.

Am I missing something or are they getting confused? It was my understanding that face to face non-regulated rifle transactions between Maryland residents didn't involve any transfer. I feel like going into a gun shop or the barracks and asking to transfer a .22 will get you some weird looks. Thanks
MGMTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 02:03 AM #2
Doobie's Avatar
Doobie Doobie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,325
Doobie Doobie is offline
Senior Member
Doobie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,325
You are correct as long as the buyer and seller are both Maryland residents and the buyer is not prohibited in anyway from owning a firearm. If I were the seller, I would have a bill of sell for you and one for me with make, model, serial number of firearm, your full name, address, telephone number, and driver's license. I would also look you up in Maryland case search. If I had an uneasy feeling about you or you refused to provide the info I asked for, no sale.
Doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 06:51 AM #3
Doctor_M's Avatar
Doctor_M Doctor_M is offline
Certified Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 10,667
Doctor_M Doctor_M is offline
Certified Mad Scientist
Doctor_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 10,667
Doobie is correct in his response.... I have done some FTF sales where the seller wanted to meet in a public place or police station parking lot, because of personal security issues.... after all, they don't know you and you don't know them. Lots of folks have been robbed when doing Craig's List type deals. If you aren't sure what the seller's intention is; it might be worth a communication to clarify.

Cheers.
Doctor_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 07:46 AM #4
Melnic's Avatar
Melnic Melnic is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: HoCo
Posts: 6,197
Melnic Melnic is online now
Senior Member
Melnic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: HoCo
Posts: 6,197
MSP can't even do a 4473 I thought. Even if you asked.
Melnic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 09:10 AM #5
squaregrouper's Avatar
squaregrouper squaregrouper is online now
Still A Kragaphile
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pikesville, Peoples Republik Of Marylandistan
Posts: 5,898
Images: 1
squaregrouper squaregrouper is online now
Still A Kragaphile
squaregrouper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pikesville, Peoples Republik Of Marylandistan
Posts: 5,898
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobie View Post
You are correct as long as the buyer and seller are both Maryland residents and the buyer is not prohibited in anyway from owning a firearm. If I were the seller, I would have a bill of sell for you and one for me with make, model, serial number of firearm, your full name, address, telephone number, and driver's license. I would also look you up in Maryland case search. If I had an uneasy feeling about you or you refused to provide the info I asked for, no sale.
When I'm selling, I require the buyer to bring a photocopy of their driver's license and I will do the same. We then hand write the make, model and serial number and that they/I are legally allowed to perform the transaction and we both sign the papers.
Anyone not willing to do this doesn't get to deal with me.
Perfectly legal and we both have a paper trail just in case.
squaregrouper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 12:28 PM #6
MGMTF MGMTF is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bel Air, MD
Posts: 13
MGMTF MGMTF is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bel Air, MD
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobie View Post
You are correct as long as the buyer and seller are both Maryland residents and the buyer is not prohibited in anyway from owning a firearm. If I were the seller, I would have a bill of sell for you and one for me with make, model, serial number of firearm, your full name, address, telephone number, and driver's license. I would also look you up in Maryland case search. If I had an uneasy feeling about you or you refused to provide the info I asked for, no sale.
A bill of sale and asking for that kind of info makes sense. They are asking for an actual transfer at an FFL though which I didn't even think you could do for a non-regulated rifle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_M View Post
Doobie is correct in his response.... I have done some FTF sales where the seller wanted to meet in a public place or police station parking lot, because of personal security issues.... after all, they don't know you and you don't know them. Lots of folks have been robbed when doing Craig's List type deals. If you aren't sure what the seller's intention is; it might be worth a communication to clarify.

Cheers.
Yeah I will try to contact them and see. Looking at the ads again it seems they don't have the best grammar skills, so it could be a scam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaregrouper View Post
When I'm selling, I require the buyer to bring a photocopy of their driver's license and I will do the same. We then hand write the make, model and serial number and that they/I are legally allowed to perform the transaction and we both sign the papers.
Anyone not willing to do this doesn't get to deal with me.
Perfectly legal and we both have a paper trail just in case.
This also is sensible to me, but there isn't an actual "transfer" that can be done correct?

Here are two of the ads, looking at them again now the one for the 10/22 seems like a scam.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/782147...-10-22-carbine

http://www.armslist.com/posts/787257...le--marlin-795
MGMTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 12:30 PM #7
erwos's Avatar
erwos erwos is offline
Jew with a Gun
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 9,147
erwos erwos is offline
Jew with a Gun
erwos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 9,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
MSP can't even do a 4473 I thought. Even if you asked.
Bingo. Seller is asking for something that literally can't happen.
__________________
Things I love: bullpups, mag-fed shotguns, Glocks-not-made-by-Glock, .458 SOCOM, giving my opinion
Things I hate: .40S&W, KeyMod, AR pistols with buffer tubes, anything with an arm brace, fad-of-the-day long-range calibers
erwos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 02:18 PM #8
MGMTF MGMTF is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bel Air, MD
Posts: 13
MGMTF MGMTF is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bel Air, MD
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by erwos View Post
Bingo. Seller is asking for something that literally can't happen.
That's what I thought, just wanted some confirmation before I contacted the sellers about it.
MGMTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 02:43 PM #9
eruby's Avatar
eruby eruby is offline
Confederate Jew
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Carroll County, People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 15,834
eruby eruby is offline
Confederate Jew
eruby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Carroll County, People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 15,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTF View Post
I'm not sure if this the right spot for this but I couldn't find any where else.

Been looking at buying a Semi-Auto .22LR (primarily a Marlin 795 but also 10/22) and started looking at some used ones. Two separate ads for 795s and one for a 10/22 said they would meet at FFL or MSP barracks for transfer and background check.

Am I missing something or are they getting confused? It was my understanding that face to face non-regulated rifle transactions between Maryland residents didn't involve any transfer. I feel like going into a gun shop or the barracks and asking to transfer a .22 will get you some weird looks. Thanks
Where did you see these ads?
__________________
Beat your ploughshares into swords, and your pruning-hooks into spears; let the weakling say, I am strong. Joel 3 : 10
eruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 05:22 PM #10
MGMTF MGMTF is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bel Air, MD
Posts: 13
MGMTF MGMTF is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bel Air, MD
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by eruby View Post
Where did you see these ads?
They were on Armslist, I linked two of them a few posts back.

MGMTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rimfire


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2017, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service