• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I have no problem with piston ar's, but this has kinda bbeen my opinion the more I think of it. It's like buying an actual race car, versus the civic that some guy dumped 30k into. One has every piece meant for itself, and the other has been fiddled with with hopes that it all works.

Nice analogy and very true.

Uncle Krunkle

Sep 29, 2010
    Concerning the second article about AR15 DI systems reliability, what do you guys think of the author's conclusion? Anyone ever messed with replacing the buffer spring, buffer, and extractor spring (like he suggests). The heavier buffer and buffer spring are supposed to reduce felt recoil. How noticeable is it with a 16 inch barrel?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Concerning the second article about AR15 DI systems reliability, what do you guys think of the author's conclusion? Anyone ever messed with replacing the buffer spring, buffer, and extractor spring (like he suggests). The heavier buffer and buffer spring are supposed to reduce felt recoil. How noticeable is it with a 16 inch barrel?

With the right muzzle device, bolt carrier, buffer spring, buffer and gas system length you can reduce the felt recoil impulse over 50% at least. My AR is like a BB gun. I can do mag dumps without any muzzle rise.

Uncle Krunkle

Sep 29, 2010
    So gas system length matters? What's the optimum length you have in mind? And the bolt carrier itself? You mean finding one with a particular weight? I haven't noticed that many different types, besides the ones with different finishes (nickel boron).

Clandestine, are you talking about the AR you mentioned in this thread? I'll check out it's parts.

Last edited:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    So gas system length matters? What's the optimum length you have in mind? And the bolt carrier itself? You mean finding one with a particular weight? I haven't noticed that many different types, besides the ones with different finishes (nickel corbon).

Clandestine, are you talking about the AR you mentioned in this thread? I'll check out it's parts.

Gas System optimal length is determined by barrel length. For a Carbine Gas System the Minimum Length of the Barrel is 10.5" to run reliably, for For a Mid Length Gas System the Minimum Length of the Barrel is 13.75" to run reliably. For a Rifle Length Gas System the Minimum Length of the Barrel is 18" to run reliably. All of the above is assuming the barrels have the proper size gas port and a well sealed Gas System.

Pistol Length Gas Systems need more tweaking but generally 7.5" is the shortest you want to go.

Uncle Krunkle

Sep 29, 2010
    I plan on getting a Daniel Defense AR15. I haven't decided on a model. I would like to customize the rifle to have a low recoil. They sell rifles that have either carbine length or mid-length gas systems. I want to stick with the standard 16 inch barrel. Is there any perceivable difference in recoil between those 2 gas systems? Yes, I want to knock off effortless mag dumps too!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I plan on getting a Daniel Defense AR15. I haven't decided on a model. I would like to customize the rifle to have a low recoil. They sell rifles that have either carbine length or mid-length gas systems. I want to stick with the standard 16 inch barrel. Is there any perceivable difference in recoil between those 2 gas systems? Yes, I want to knock off effortless mag dumps too!

For the Price of a DD you can build a Gun with a Noveske Barrel that will outshoot (Accuracy wise) the DD for about the same price.

DD is a GREAT gun but you can get better results by buying select components and having it put together.

If you want a great gun for the same price go this way:

BCM M4 Upper/M4 Ramps (Complete) $100
    Spikes NiB M16 BCG $200
    BCM Extractor Insert $5
    16" Mid Length Gas Noveske 1/7" Barrel $425
    YHM 12.5" or 9.75" Length Light Weight Free Float Rail $100
    Magpul MBUS2 Sights $100
    Magpul CTR Enhanced Pad $25
    Magpul ASAP $35
    Magpul Front Sling Attachment $20
    CS Flat Wire Action Spring $20
    Spikes M4 Lower (Complete) with NiB FCG, ST-2 Buffer, Upgraded Magpul CTR Stock and Magpul MIAD Grip $425
    JP FCG Springs $10
    Magpul B.A.D. $30

PRI Gas Buster $100 (If you will be using a suppressor in the future, if not get a BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle $50)
    PWS 5.56 YHM Brake $125 (For Q.D. YHM Suppressor Use, if not then use a Battle Comp $150)

Uncle Krunkle

Sep 29, 2010
    I've never built a gun. I'm sure it'd be a lot of work learning (by myself). And I want my guns to function reliably. It's possible that my first build may not turn out perfectly. I spent a lot of free time this past fall and winter learning how to reload. What's left of the first few batches would be better off pulled and broken back down into components (definitely not mil-spec stuff!).

I am inspired though. I want an AR that shoots like yours (with the kick of a Daisy rifle).

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I've never built a gun. I'm sure it'd be a lot of work learning (by myself). And I want my guns to function reliably. It's possible that my first build may not turn out perfectly. I spent a lot of free time this past fall and winter learning how to reload. What's left of the first few batches would be better off pulled and broken back down into components (definitely not mil-spec stuff!).

I am inspired though. I want an AR that shoots like yours (with the kick of a Daisy rifle).

Buy the parts and Ill assemble it for you. Ill make sure its perfect. Ill let you watch if time permits so you see what im doing.

Ron

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 2, 2011
    Have any parts recommendations for building a service rifle A2 upper? The lower is a Double Star with Giessele SSA trigger and standard A2 buffer assembly.

Uncle Krunkle

Sep 29, 2010
    Thanks Clandestine. I'm looking over Brownells "How to build an AR15" video series. I'm sure I could do this. I'm mechanically inclined. It wouldn't be worth it to buy all the tools to build one AR15 (though I'm sure the experience would be worth the price of tools and investment in time). PM how much you'd charge to build it if I bought the parts. Again, thanks.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thanks Clandestine. I'm looking over Brownells "How to build an AR15" video series. I'm sure I could do this. I'm mechanically inclined. It wouldn't be worth it to buy all the tools to build one AR15 (though I'm sure the experience would be worth the price of tools and investment in time). PM how much you'd charge to build it if I bought the parts. Again, thanks.

Free

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom