• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Is there any reason they do this, other than to 'cheat' people out of money?

That’s really a good question. Maybe to clear their books? For what reason, no idea. The beverage is bought and paid for, and the drink chip is basically an IOU to the holder of it. When the VFW invalidates all of the outstanding chips that have not been turned in for a drink, they walk away with the money AND resell the beverage previously purchased.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Volt...meh... for the servings and price, one of 2 things, I'd starve or
    go broke. atmosphere what ever...

Family meal was okay... food not bad...prices well....

Sorry I'm a seafood guy...forget the atmosphere, throw down some
    brown paper, give me a cracker / hammer and a oyster knife (bring
    my own), leave me alone and keep it coming....prefer the all you
    can eats.... Liberty Road Seafood, plain & simple and good. Sue
    makes a mean melonball shooter(s)
    Now that I don't mind paying for, if I go hungry thats on me.

the other end....

Ruth's Chris surf and turf... the food is great...and I don't mind paying..

-Rock

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    I rode my bike past Family Meal to and from work for 5 years in all forms of weather and only stopped once to eat. It was decent but for the price, if I want eveything a la carte, I'd rather go to Dutch's Daughter and if i wanted fried chicken, I'd go to Watson's or the related place situated over just North off the Golden Mile. Now I'd rather go to Sardis for pollo a la brasa & yucca or the old Frisco's for a SF sammich & 'sploded taters.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    A lot of these types of restaurants routinely shutdown, reimagine, rebrand and relaunch. It's part of the creative side intersecting with the business side.

Remember that for a lot of these celebrity type chefs/restaurateurs this is an art form in addition to a business and that the business is often a means to sustaining their artistic bent.

If you haven's seen it yet, check out "The Big Night", a movie from 1996 with Stanley Tucci and Tony Shalhoub as two brothers who open an Italian restaurant in the 50s. One of the brothers, Tucci, is much more business-focused, while the other brother, Shalhoub, is the "artiste" and wants to make true Italian cuisine, while his brother advocates the pasta and meatballs that people know and understand. Great movie!

JoeR

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I rode my bike past Family Meal to and from work for 5 years in all forms of weather and only stopped once to eat. It was decent but for the price, if I want eveything a la carte, I'd rather go to Dutch's Daughter and if i wanted fried chicken, I'd go to Watson's or the related place situated over just North off the Golden Mile. Now I'd rather go to Sardis for pollo a la brasa & yucca or the old Frisco's for a SF sammich & 'sploded taters.

Dutch’s daughter is a favorite of ours also but too pricey for regular dining. Monocacy Crossing is a more reasonably priced substitute. I hadn’t heard of Sardis, kind of off the beaten path. We’ll have to give it a try. We’ve been getting similar at Crisp & Juicy off 7th street. Also it looks like there a new place like that opening up in Padminis old location, near the Giant off Monocacy Blvd.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Dutch’s daughter is a favorite of ours also but too pricey for regular dining. Monocacy Crossing is a more reasonably priced substitute. I hadn’t heard of Sardis, kind of off the beaten path. We’ll have to give it a try. We’ve been getting similar at Crisp & Juicy off 7th street. Also it looks like there a new place like that opening up in Padminis old location, near the Giant off Monocacy Blvd.

Sardis is similar to the Chicken & Steak/Pollo a la Brasa restaurants around DC...sandwiches & latin specialties are AWESOME- it's near the Home Depot off Rte40W by McCain.

Monocacy Crossing IS awesome and I love their shallot butter steaks...melt in your mouth goodness!

psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    Volt sucked, I mean not only the prices but the food was nothing special in any way. All I remember is us laughing at the portions and my friends cheese tasting like foot. lol. The drinks were also not impressive.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    They both pretty much sucked.

My favorite restaurant in Frederick is Sabor de Cuba.

Absolutely.

Dan - try the pernil(roast pork), vaca frita or ropa vieja. Their flan is some of the best I've had.

Last edited:

dwb1987

Mar 6, 2013
    Frederick County
    Family Meal was ok. Havent been in forever but I remember the following...

-Roasted potatoes were very good
    -Over priced entres with small portions
    -warm tap water served in glass bottles
    -the waitress being a bitch when I asked for a waffle with no strawberries (not to mention a very overall smug attitude from the staff)
    -close to a $50 bill for 2 adults breakfast

Since rice rabies I havent been in a while but I loved going to quarter masters. Also big fan of Oscars just down the street.

For breakfast I am big fan of Mountain View on golden mile.

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    In for the Volt bashing: mediocre (at best) food with artful presentation, like wrapping up a turd in gold foil and putting a bow on it. When I hear Bryan Voltaggio is involved in a restaurant, I automatically know to avoid it.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD

I like Sardis chicken better than Crisp and Juicy...that's chicken to chicken...no sauce. Crisp and Juicy has better sauces by far.

I know how Sardis preps chicken so it makes sense that the chicken is so good. They spend a good amount of time on it. The owner is a really good guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom