• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    Good morning to all, “Politics and Politicians not included”
    Joined the group a few days ago, thanks to all that are here, allowing me to join and supporting the second amendment and the USA.
    Wanted to post some info on my current firearm passion, find out if anyone has similar interest and wants to post info on what they know about it.
    I purchased a hexagon breech, Mosin Nagant or M91/30 long rifle, receiver stamp 1897, Belgian stamp on it, 1942, just a few months ago, and just love the old gun. The trigger spring was broken, it didn’t have a sling, cleaning rod or bayonet and it was dirty, there is no wood on top of the barrel, I don’t know if some where produced that way or it is just lost. The gun was completely unkempt, shot hard and put away wet! Taking it apart, grains of black powder, (like substance) fell out of it, from every part! It was nasty, messy and thoroughly enjoyable process, to disassemble the parts and begin cleaning, oiling each one, the barrel was a mess, I was hesitant to purchase it, it looked so bad, broke a nice cleaning rod cleaning it out, but now it looks good, strong rifling in it. Ordered a new spring from Russia, (what I think is original sling also from Russia) and received them about 6 weeks later. Both are great.
    The gun is beautifully beaten up, ugly marks everywhere, hard used and just gorgeous! I went to the Timonium show 9th Jan with the intent to find another one and to find bayonet, cleaning rod, firing pin tool, etc. found the bayonet, paid way too much for it, didn’t care. ( Show was not good in my opinion , just not many guns/accessories to look at, vendors there were all great).
    Haven’t shot it yet! Maybe Saturday.
    I am collecting the ammo, 7.62 -54R rounds, and I plan to purchase another adaptation of the rifle.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Welcome. There’s a gun show Jan 23-24 in Fredericksburg,Va. don’t know if you like to go that far. It’s been pretty good in the past. Use to try and make that one even though some are closer.

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    Thanks I would enjoy attending it, but Fredericksburg is a little bit of a hike have you been to the Dulles Expo show in Chantilly? I plan to attend the Chantilly show 13 Feb... if the Governor of Va doesn't cancel it for the third time.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from PA!

Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Rules are written in the stone, Break the rules and you get no bones, all you get is ridicule, laughter, a shine box, and a trip to the house of pain.
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]MD Shooters Firearms Map[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT]

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Thanks I would enjoy attending it, but Fredericksburg is a little bit of a hike have you been to the Dulles Expo show in Chantilly? I plan to attend the Chantilly show 13 Feb... if the Governor of Va doesn't cancel it for the third time.

Yes, and Chantilly is the SHOW to go to in this area. I usually head to the far side of Walmart parking lot and walk. Don’t do this if your plan is to buy bulk ammo. ;)

Good morning to all, “Politics and Politicians not included”
    Joined the group a few days ago, thanks to all that are here, allowing me to join and supporting the second amendment and the USA.
    Wanted to post some info on my current firearm passion, find out if anyone has similar interest and wants to post info on what they know about it.
    I purchased a hexagon breech, Mosin Nagant or M91/30 long rifle, receiver stamp 1897, Belgian stamp on it, 1942, just a few months ago, and just love the old gun. The trigger spring was broken, it didn’t have a sling, cleaning rod or bayonet and it was dirty, there is no wood on top of the barrel, I don’t know if some where produced that way or it is just lost. The gun was completely unkempt, shot hard and put away wet! Taking it apart, grains of black powder, (like substance) fell out of it, from every part! It was nasty, messy and thoroughly enjoyable process, to disassemble the parts and begin cleaning, oiling each one, the barrel was a mess, I was hesitant to purchase it, it looked so bad, broke a nice cleaning rod cleaning it out, but now it looks good, strong rifling in it. Ordered a new spring from Russia, (what I think is original sling also from Russia) and received them about 6 weeks later. Both are great.
    The gun is beautifully beaten up, ugly marks everywhere, hard used and just gorgeous! I went to the Timonium show 9th Jan with the intent to find another one and to find bayonet, cleaning rod, firing pin tool, etc. found the bayonet, paid way too much for it, didn’t care. ( Show was not good in my opinion , just not many guns/accessories to look at, vendors there were all great).
    Haven’t shot it yet! Maybe Saturday.
    I am collecting the ammo, 7.62 -54R rounds, and I plan to purchase another adaptation of the rifle.

Very much sounds like a passion! I don't often see people describing everyday things like that without a deep appreciation. I don't know anything about that rifle but it sounds amazing now.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Mosins do get a bad rap by many collectors, but I think they are a good point to start and learn. They cost a lot less then most old rifles still easy to find and fun to shoot. Their have a long history that cover many different areas of the world not just Russia. Enjoy your Mosin and hope you get in to the many other "older firarms. If you do not have a C&R /FFL03 license look into getting one even if there aren't many deals to be had when one does come up it's worth that $30 fee!.

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    All,

Thanks for following up and providing feedback. And just FYI, I am a long time firearm and hunting enthusiast! Got my first buck, a 3 point, at age 13 with my father’s Winchester model 94, lever action, 30-30. That was 43 years ago. Prior to the Mosin purchase in November 2020, my gun collection was for the most part of the hunting and home defense variety. I have that collection pretty well covered now and started looking for something WWII era or older, something fun that has been around for a long time. My father carried the M1 Garand in WWII, referred to it as a great gun, a log to carry across France but good when he needed it. I have looked and, “drooled” over many M1’s at shows, it is on my list, however, they are not inexpensive and finding the right one at the right price is half the fun. The Mosins… yes, I purchased another one after I posted last week, are just cool to me and at the right price. I bought 2, plus accessories, a few bullets and I’m still way under a grand. They have plenty of parts to clean and fine tune, all that great wood, and so many stamps to research! I know after yesterday, they shoot great, steel butt plate is a little tuff on the shoulder after a while, but great all around! Latest purchase is the newer model 1945 carbine with the folding, attached bayonet. It was in far better condition when purchased, so a little less fun on the front end, but just as fun to shoot. After returning home from shooting, they are both in there smallest pieces again, cleaned, oiled and ready to be re-assembled. Chantilly show, someone will definitely make a sale on 7.62x54R’s, and 5.56’s maybe a few more 30-06’s rounds. I will go early and park close!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom