• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimB

Apr 23, 2014
    Frederick County, MD
    I just received a family heirloom. 1909 k98 gew German Argentinian Mauser. The stock has been bubbad. Has a Douglas barrel chambered in 458 win mag. I understand the rail needs to be opened up. Need the barrel blued. Case hardened action? Also need sights added. I will do the wood stock myself. Would love to be able to help with the gunsmith with the work. I can do some mill work. Any body local do this kind of work.

JimB

Apr 23, 2014
    Frederick County, MD
    Got the gun cycling rounds. Have an ejector spring on order. I am looking for a apature sight. Williams or Lyman. Does anyone have one for sale or trade. I prefer the Williams. I have reloading supplies for trade?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Something about "case hardened action" in respect to an old Mauser seems like a red flag to me.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Don't necessarily laugh at .458 as Deer Rifle , IF you Handload . .458 can be easily loaded to any of the .45-70 performance levels .

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Something about "case hardened action" in respect to an old Mauser seems like a red flag to me.

That’s how they were made, soft flexible core, hardened exterior for resisting wear.
    Sometimes you can see small prick punch marks at various locations to determine depth of hardness.
    Usually on the sides of the recoil lug where it meets the front ring.

Last edited:

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I did the feed rails. The bolt face was done when it was given to me. It had been used as a single shot prior.

Good deal. I have built over a dozen hunting rifles for my sons and I on Mauser receivers. I never built any chambered in a magnum round yet even though I know how. I am getting ready to soon build a rifle for one of my sons in 9.3x62 Mauser . He will be using it for bear hunting and maybe elk or caribou.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Watch out for the Villagers with pitchforks screaming " Kill the Bubba ! " .

( Not a slam on the OP , but tongue in cheek about original condition purists with no appreciation of customer guns that happen to have been built using a donor action .)

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    Gunbum don’t you thing 10 is a more even number? Ok! Twist my arm. I’ll take 1.

There you go Jim. I bought a batch of large ring receivers from a guy that owned a shop in Waldorf a few years back. I think he bought them from Sarco at the time and never used them. He sold them all to me. I have one left. I did the bolts myself too and drilling and tapping for scope bases and low scope safety. Just my little hobby on the side

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom