• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    What’s the shelf life of the butter ? (assuming you’re not going to eat it like Norton does as a chip dip)

The only cooking fat I have stored is some jugs of oil.

Butter is pretty stable. It doesn't need to be refrigerated, the high fat content keeps it from spoiling.

In the old days in Scotland, the young ladies spent the summer in the highlands following the cows, and making butter and cheese from the milk. They brought it back to the home for use all year.

jimboman2000

Jan 9, 2014
    Cecil!
    Butter is pretty stable. It doesn't need to be refrigerated, the high fat content keeps it from spoiling.

In the old days in Scotland, the young ladies spent the summer in the highlands following the cows, and making butter and cheese from the milk. They brought it back to the home for use all year.

Then why do I keep butter in the fridge all the time?

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Couple flats of pineapple slices. Will be nice to have with rice and tuna this winter

Attachments

• F55AEC68-52C3-4E3F-BFAD-EEDE2B78B9E1.jpg
      F55AEC68-52C3-4E3F-BFAD-EEDE2B78B9E1.jpg
      71.9 KB · Views: 334

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Ghee is clarified butter.

You can make it yourself. If you store it at room temp in a cool dark place it will last decades. Some believe it can last for centuries. (Test this yourself).

It's a lot cheaper than buying canned butter or canned ghee.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Then why do I keep butter in the fridge all the time?

Because you think you need to.

I leave mine out. Makes it spread much easier.

BTW, you probably also leave your eggs in the fridge.

For MANY years, eggs were not refrigerated from hen to house.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    :lol:
    Yep. If I left butter out in a butter dish on my counter now I would have soup tomorrow morning.

Probably not, unless you keep your house quite warm.

Before we installed central air, we would leave the butter out, and except for maybe the 2 hottest weeks, it is soft, but holds its shape.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

Very true, but they also went from hen to house to breakfast plate much faster than they do today, now that they're shipped and stored all over.

They keep without refrigeration, but they keep longer with it.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    25#s of Quinoa. Several Dak canned hams. Various paper products. Wire brushes of every size. A shitload of rifle cleaning patches and other gun maintenance products. Some big bottles of: paprika, garlic onion powder. On my way! Fuel stability products for diesel and gasoline. Some more Eneloop batteries in aaa, aa and CR123 + A. Several tins of tooth powder. Several packs of sticky mouse traps.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine

We don’t refrigerate eggs, but we have our own chickens. I’d probably refrigerate store bought eggs.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Very true, but they also went from hen to house to breakfast plate much faster than they do today, now that they're shipped and stored all over.

They keep without refrigeration, but they keep longer with it.

I was in Germany last year and all the eggs at the aldi were kept on the unrefrigerated shelf. I heard the the eggs we get here need to be refrigerated because a protective layer is washed off of them. Apparently they don’t do that in Europe.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    I was in Germany last year and all the eggs at the aldi were kept on the unrefrigerated shelf. I heard the the eggs we get here need to be refrigerated because a protective layer is washed off of them. Apparently they don’t do that in Europe.

That is true about the protective layer , Has something to do with the shell a air contact .

jimboman2000

Jan 9, 2014
    Cecil!

Wait, I can buy butter at the store, and just leave it on the counter? It won't spoil?

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    So when I drove for US foods butter was always shipped frozen. I keep my butter frozen except for a lb in the fridge and 1 stick in a dish at room temp. Am I wasting freezer space?

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    With butter, spoilage in terms of mold is actually the least of your worries. The problem in the US is that our butter dishes are merely covered plates that allow air in. The problem is that lipids (fats) in the presence of oxygen begin to break down into several sub compounds resulting in rancidity. While rancid foods aren't harmful per se, they don't taste or smell too good.

The way around this is to either cover your butter with something like quillion (parchment paper) or waxed paper when it's in said dish to reduce contact with free oxygen, OR, go the "butter bell" route which uses a pool of water to prevent oxygen from reaching the butter. These actually work REALLY well. https://www.butterbell.com/

As for eggs, yes, it's the USDA required washing that causes us to have to refrigerate them. When baking, it's best to let your eggs sit a room temp an hour or more before using. What's more, eggs WILL last up to 6mo under refrigeration. They'll degrade in quality over time, but they won't actually go bad in most cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom