• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    It was, but last year the DNR enacted a Chronic Wasting Disease area, hides from
    these areas may be a problem. Check the website to see if the harvested deer is
    under this area.

live2hunt266

m770 30-06
    Jan 16, 2012
    Havre de grace MD
    EXEMPTIONS FROM LICENSE REQUIREMENT

1. A person who buys or otherwise acquires any fur or pelt of any wild quadruped for the personal use of the person and not for barter, exchange, or sale. 2. A person who can substantiate the fact that any fur or pelt the person possesses is bought from a licensed fur dealer or lawfully obtained from a dealer in another state and is dressed, altered, trimmed, repaired, or manufactured into a finished product, but not resold as a fur or pelt. 3. A tanner or taxidermist who possesses any fur or pelt legally owned by another person and which the tanner or taxidermist temporarily is holding solely for the purpose of processing. 4. A person who sells or possesses to sell the meat, pelt, carcass, or mounted specimen of any beaver, coyote, fisher, fox, mink, muskrat, nutria, opossum, otter, racoon, skunk, or long-tailed weasel legally taken by that person. 5. Any person who butchers a deer for another person and who retains the hide or fur of the deer because the other person did not want to take the hide or fur. 6. Any person who sells or possesses to sell the hide, hair, tail or feet, excluding a mounted specimen of deer, squirrel, or rabbit legally acquired.

Does this mean i can sell the hide just not a mount

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Not 100% sure about MD but in PA selling deer hides is perfectly legal but they only go for $5 a piece if they're in good shape.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Even I don't know the full answer to this one! In my circumstance, I am able to sell some tanned hides. People give me hides, and I aquire my own. But I have a taxidermist lisc, so that can change things. As for deer mounts, I can only sell unclaimed ones after trying to find the zombies who left them with me. I can sell fox, coon, etc mounts all day and night- furbearers legal to take in MD or that are not native here ( ringtail cat, lynx, wolverine...).

I do know that you can sell raw deer hides to a lisc'd fur dealer, as well as other legally taken raw pelts such as fox and other furbearers. In my case people shoot foxes, coons, whatever, and give them to me rather than toss them. Plus some trap for the hell of it or to remove a nuisance beaver or whatever, and give me the animals. I wish someone would give me otters and fishers LOL. Already tagged of course.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Even I don't know the full answer to this one! In my circumstance, I am able to sell some tanned hides. People give me hides, and I aquire my own. But I have a taxidermist lisc, so that can change things. As for deer mounts, I can only sell unclaimed ones after trying to find the zombies who left them with me. I can sell fox, coon, etc mounts all day and night- furbearers legal to take in MD or that are not native here ( ringtail cat, lynx, wolverine...).

I do know that you can sell raw deer hides to a lisc'd fur dealer, as well as other legally taken raw pelts such as fox and other furbearers. In my case people shoot foxes, coons, whatever, and give them to me rather than toss them. Plus some trap for the hell of it or to remove a nuisance beaver or whatever, and give me the animals. I wish someone would give me otters and fishers LOL. Already tagged of course.

Sounds like those legalities are as confusing as a FFL. :confused:

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Talk to Mary Goldie, permits coordinator for DNR, she knows everything and will send you a letter affirming whatever if you request it. You can also get a letter from her to posess a roadkill furbearer out of season such as if you find a fresh intact fox pup in balto co and want to get it mounted. Freeze such ASAP and contact her on the next business day ( pups usually hit at night/found at night).

BTW you cannot sell tanned bobcat/bobcat parts/mounts, black bear anything, or north american porcupine anything, and animals such as lynx, wolf, wolverine, grizzly bear, river otter, fisher, marten, need to have CITES tag or CITES paperwork ( Canadian taken animals). Mt lion needs the pelt tag, or CITES if from Canada. The bobcat/black bear/porky thing may have changed in some way in recent years, I don't know. You can buy these from out of state with tags/bill of sale ( bill of sale for porky-I don't think anyplace requires tagging them) for your own personal use, but can't resell in MD. You can buy and sell shed antlers insofar as I know.

Yes it is like FFL regs- confusing as hell and hard to remember it all. Trapping regs are almost as bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom