• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I've been an NRA member since I was twelve... typically, I haven't paid too much attention to the board elections (I typically voted for board members about half the time, usually if there was someone I recognized on the ballot).

Like many here, I appreciate the work that the NRA has done over the years and I want to see it get healthy so that it can continue to be an effective force in the preservation of our rights. IMHO, it is NOT currently healthy.

The list of board candidates is out, and I know almost nothing about the positions of most of the folks running. Their bios are about what groups and committees they served on, but there is no way to really assess what their position is on the direction the NRA and the need to introduce some sanitizing sunlight in the organization's operations and executive compensation (and shenanigans).

Looking for thoughts on those with some insight into this. I would love to see a slate of folks come in an clean house. Any suggestions?

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Folloŵing also, and thanks to Doctor M for saving me some typing.

Candidates chosen by nominating committee doesn't seem like it would yield a whole lot of transparency. Especially from an organization seemingly in need of a whole lot of transparency.

Warts and all, I still think we need this dog in the fight. So candidate specific input is appreciated, rather than another (even if justifiable) NRA whipping thread.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I'm in the same boat. A few years ago I resorted to just googling the names to see what it revealed. I hate just blindly voting.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I will be completely transparent , i always ignored those ballots and i am sorry i did not do my homework on them . That stops , i will not vote for the old NRA members .

It may be complicated but maybe we can put together a list and work that out here ??

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    I'm in the same boat. A few years ago I resorted to just googling the names to see what it revealed. I hate just blindly voting.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My gut hunch is that 99% of us are in that very same boat. That said, for me at least, it will be about who here vouches for whom, if said and convincing MDS insight becomes available.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Some info at. https://www.savethe2a.org.

Looks like they are going to do a review of the folks running for office and give us the best ones to vote for.

Interesting, and thanks for the link! On the surface and 30 minutes in at least, I'd be inclined to agree with at least 4 of their 5 stated goals.

I had no idea that this organization existed. Any idea for how long? I may have overlooked that info but I didn't see mention of it.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    After reading the brief resume's in this month's American Rifleman I think like some have already said, if they're a current board member they need to go.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Can you "write-in" a vote?

I'm a NRA Life member, I'll proudly serve your interests!

Yes!

And while I'm not recommending this, you can vote for Curly, Larry and Moe, should you so choose. Even ballots that look like that can be telling, when numerous enough.

There is a claim that less than 6% of eligible NRA members return ballots. Draw your own conclusion, but part of what's wrong with NRA likely has a membership component. Not hard to envision a Board that's more than well aware that very few people outside of the innermost circles are watching.

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    Another way of voting is bullet voting where you only vote for a few that you fully support that are running for office. When they tally the final votes the one with the most win and you don't give other people votes to edge your choice out.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    There's room on the ballot for write-ins, but unless everyone gets behind a shortlist of viable candidates, write-ins are not likely to get elected.

There should be a united push for a handful of good ones nationwide.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Another way of voting is bullet voting where you only vote for a few that you fully support that are running for office. When they tally the final votes the one with the most win and you don't give other people votes to edge your choice out.

Good stuff, and,

There's room on the ballot for write-ins, but unless everyone gets behind a shortlist of viable candidates, write-ins are not likely to get elected.

There should be a united push for a handful of good ones nationwide.

Absolutely.

Then write me in for all the other open spots! We need to start the next generation of Board Members. :D

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Was the ballot in the recent issue of AR? I hope not, it got tossed. I didn't even look at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom