• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    OP: Maybe I'm misreading something on your flow chart, but if a court of appeals grants an en banc hearing, it does not necessarily vacate the district court ruling. It may vacate after the en banc hearing but the way it is stated on your flow chart it seems to imply that simply being granted the hearing vacates. Not a huge point, though. Your flow chart is a nice pictorial view of how a case plods along through the federal court system.

Last edited:

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    OP: Maybe I'm misreading something on your flow chart, but if a court of appeals grants an en banc hearing, it does not necessarily vacate the district court ruling. It may vacate after the en banc hearing but the way it is stated on your flow chart it seems to imply that simply being granted the hearing vacates. Not a huge point, though. Your flow chart is a nice pictorial view of how a case plods along through the federal court system.

My understanding is that if an En Banc petition is accepted, then the 3 Judge Circuit ruling is vacated. It may be reinstated by the En Banc, but until they rule, it is vacated.

This is why I started this thread; there is a lot of confusion as to how the court system "generally" works. Keep up the discussion.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    If we look at the system as 3 stages with Stage 1 being the District Court, Stage 2 being the Circuit Court (and its reviews) and the Stage 3 being the Supreme Court, one can track the current cases through the system.

Woollard is awaiting the appeal hearings at the Circuit Court. If one is to consider the possibility of going all the way to the Supreme Court, Woollard is less than half way through the process.

More later as I can.

I'd say Wollard is further along than halfway. It seems to me that the District(and to a lesser extent appeals courts) can take as long as they want(just look at Palmer), whereas SCOTUS will take up a case, hear it, and then decide by the end of the session, even though it may not be an iron-clad rule that they have to.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I'd say Wollard is further along than halfway. It seems to me that the District(and to a lesser extent appeals courts) can take as long as they want(just look at Palmer), whereas SCOTUS will take up a case, hear it, and then decide by the end of the session, even though it may not be an iron-clad rule that they have to.

I was under the impression everything was on a schedule. Of course there are delays of all kinds, but courts are structured. Just saying...while we wait for a more correct and definitive answer.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    My understanding is that if an En Banc petition is accepted, then the 3 Judge Circuit ruling is vacated. It may be reinstated by the En Banc, but until they rule, it is vacated.

This is why I started this thread; there is a lot of confusion as to how the court system "generally" works. Keep up the discussion.

That's correct. And that is because a majority has voted to rehear the case .

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County

I will not argue... :D, as the 2nd has begun to get the same respect as the 1st in the various courts, there is less to talk about and less wiggle room. Also, my comment was framed around the case actualy going to the SCT. If it does not, the time line is shortened.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    That's correct. And that is because a majority has voted to rehear the case .

I will add I believe it is also vacated so the time to petition the Supreme Court doesn't run while en banc is pending. Lastly, when I was at the DC Circuit, only one or two en banc appeals were granted per term so they are indeed very rare.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    I will add I believe it is also vacated so the time to petition the Supreme Court doesn't run while en banc is pending. Lastly, when I was at the DC Circuit, only one or two en banc appeals were granted per term so they are indeed very rare.

Interesting tidbits, thanks. :thumbsup:

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

Right on all counts! The D.C. Circuit especially hates en banc. They have published precedent just to discourage petitions.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Right on all counts! The D.C. Circuit especially hates en banc. They have published precedent just to discourage petitions.

After all those years at the D.C. Circuit and I just thought it was because the judges were so collegial they didn't have the heart to collectively raise eyebrows at the original three-judge panel. <smirk>

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    After all those years at the D.C. Circuit and I just thought it was because the judges were so collegial they didn't have the heart to collectively raise eyebrows at the original three-judge panel. <smirk>

yeah they really love each other....

bpSchoch

Jan 16, 2009
    Bethesda, MD
    As a clarification, this chart is for the federal courts and not the state courts.

Maryland State Courts:

District Court (in which you shouldn't be in unless you want to because it's an Administrative Jurisdiction Court)

-> Circuit Court (this is the first court that has 'real' judges)

-> Special Court of Appeals

-> Court of Appeals (ie Maryland Supreme court)

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    As a clarification, this chart is for the federal courts and not the state courts.

Maryland State Courts:

District Court (in which you shouldn't be in unless you want to because it's an Administrative Jurisdiction Court)

-> Circuit Court (this is the first court that has 'real' judges)

-> Special Court of Appeals

-> Court of Appeals (ie Maryland Supreme court)

Correct, although the correct technical name is Maryland Court of Special Appeals. Which I have always thought was a weird name, as it is the court to which all appeals are first taken first so there is nothing special about it. The MD Court of Appeals is special as it now has discretion over its cases similar to that of the US SCT.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Correct, although the correct technical name is Maryland Court of Special Appeals. Which I have always thought was a weird name, as it is the court to which all appeals are first taken first so there is nothing special about it. The MD Court of Appeals is special as it now has discretion over its cases similar to that of the US SCT.

Yea, none of this is confusing at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom