• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    The M14forum.com has a lot of information. Gus Fisher link below
    https://m14forum.com/gus-fisher/89234-magazine-fit-problems.html

This didn't work for me so I looked further. What fixed the binding problem was...the chinese handguard was resting on the wood causing the the front of the receiver to sit at an angle when the trigger housing was latched.. This pressed in on the magazine well. Put the receiver in the stock and latch the trigger housing.There should be a gap between the bottom edges of the handguard and the wood. I installed a usgi handguard and the magazines don't bind. You could sand the bottom edges to get the gap. Do a search of polytech mag issues. Gus Fisher has a 24 or so step guide and Art Lupino articles helped. tonyben has a video on disassembly of the gas system and addresses the handguard gap and draw pressure.

tonyben has removed his videos from youtube. He is a moderator on m14forum.com so they are somewhere.

tlino

I learn better hands on w
    Dec 28, 2014
    Frederick
    The M14forum.com has a lot of information. Gus Fisher link below
    https://m14forum.com/gus-fisher/89234-magazine-fit-problems.html

This didn't work for me so I looked further. What fixed the binding problem was...the chinese handguard was resting on the wood causing the the front of the receiver to sit at an angle when the trigger housing was latched.. This pressed in on the magazine well. Put the receiver in the stock and latch the trigger housing.There should be a gap between the bottom edge of the handguard and the wood. I installed a usgi handguard and the magazines don't bind. You could sand the bottom edges to get the gap. Do a search of polytech mag issues. Gus Fisher has a 24 or so step guide and Art Lupino articles helped. tonyben has a video on disassembly of the gas system and addresses the handguard gap and draw pressure.

tonyben has removed his videos. He is a moderator on m14forum.com they are somewhere.

Great info.
    Thanks

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Polytech receivers are great, more mil-spec than the Springfield Armory receviers. The only issue is the bolt, which tends to be soft. Most people recommend buying a USGI bolt and having it worked on by WarBird Custom Guns.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    You may be correct. I was thinking AR10 Mags not M1A mags..

I've frequently bitched at them on their various social media platforms to make an M1A magazine. Can get a G36 mag but not an M1A, assume that has to do with foreign military contracts. Either way I've never seen one and they don't seem to view me as a market expert

Eastwind

Nice!
    May 3, 2020
    I was actually about to pick one of these bad boys up in a trade for my gen 2 night vision but the guy backed out and ended up just giving it to his father. Still bummed out about it, to be honest.

tlino

Dec 28, 2014
    Frederick
    Polytech receivers are great, more mil-spec than the Springfield Armory receviers. The only issue is the bolt, which tends to be soft. Most people recommend buying a USGI bolt and having it worked on by WarBird Custom Guns.

The previous owner had the bolt assembly replaced with a USGI assembly. WarBird did all the customizing on this weapon.That had a lot to do with me buying this one.

tlino

Dec 28, 2014
    Frederick

I am retired Air Force. I see you are well decorated. Thank you for your service.
    I have a lot of medals from my Air Force service.
    I have metals in my legs, metals in my back, and metals in my shoulder.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    The previous owner had the bolt assembly replaced with a USGI assembly. WarBird did all the customizing on this weapon.That had a lot to do with me buying this one.

Sounds like a really good buy then. My Polytech is waiting to be worked on, have yet to send it out. Thank you for your service, I'm 9 years in, hoping to make it to 20.

Feb 28, 2013

Not that I give a damn personally but aint what made the Polys legal vs an M1A is that a USGI bolt dont fit?

tlino

Dec 28, 2014
    Frederick
    The MD list is crazy. It was put together by politicians who don't really understand guns. The M1A is banned as is the M14 (of course). If you look up the Polytech M14 is is listed as not banned. The Norinco is not on the list. That means if you want a Norinco, you must submit all sorts of BS paperwork to MSP. They will in time approve or disapprove it and it will be on the list as banned or not banned.
    There is no real rhyme or reason for how the list was originally put together.

One thing on the list states if a weapon is a copy of a banned weapon, but has no more than two of the military components (a folding stock; a grenade launcher or flare launcher; or a flash suppressor) and the parts are not interchangeable, then it can be approved. There is a lot to it than that, but the basics.

tlino

Dec 28, 2014
    Frederick
    Maryland State Police Firearms Search
    http://www.mdsp.org/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx?View=%7Beb794138-ce9c-4e9e-b3d2-b78c316f87df%7D&SortField=Justification&SortDir=Asc

POLYTECH ‎(1)
    Polytech
    Polytech Inc M14
    Not Banned Not Regulated by Statute 8/5/2014

Springfield Armory
    Springfield Armory M1A Loaded-6.5 Creedmoor
    Not Banned Does not meet the definition of a copycat weapon or the definition of a copy, or enumerated weapon in statute 5/2/2018 (because it is not a .308?)

Springfield Armory
    Springfield Armory M1-A SOCOM 16
    Banned Copy of an enumerated weapon 1/6/2019

Springfield Armory
    Springfield Armory BM-59, SAR-48, G3, SAR-3, M-21 sniper rifle, M1A, excluding the M1 Garand
    Banned Enumerated in Statute 10/1/2013

Norinco
    MAK-90
    Banned Copy of an AK-47

Norinco
    Norinco 84S
    Not Banned Does not meet the definition of a copycat weapon or the definition of a copy of an enumerated weapon 2/28/2018 (Looks like an AK-47 but loads a 5.56mmx45mm!)

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    The MD list is crazy. It was put together by politicians who don't really understand guns. The M1A is banned as is the M14 (of course). If you look up the Polytech M14 is is listed as not banned. The Norinco is not on the list. That means if you want a Norinco, you must submit all sorts of BS paperwork to MSP. They will in time approve or disapprove it and it will be on the list as banned or not banned.

One thing on the list states if a weapon is a copy of a banned weapon, but has no more than two of the military components (a folding stock; a grenade launcher or flare launcher; or a flash suppressor) and the parts are not interchangeable, then it can be approved. There is a lot to it than that, but the basics.

There were other manufacturers of M1A rifles. Some used all GI parts others all Chinese and some were a mixture. None of these are on the list and proving a metric one is not a "copy" would require parts from a GI and or thread gages.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

The list is not legally binding. MSP has stated so although I lack the source document.

Norinco can be sold cash and carry still today because it has a metric gas plug. Not totally parts interchangeable with the banned M14/M1A.

Feb 28, 2013
    The list is not legally binding. MSP has stated so although I lack the source document.

Norinco can be sold cash and carry still today because it has a metric gas plug. Not totally parts interchangeable with the banned M14/M1A.

Same thing with the Poly cuz that uses a metric bolt

But since his has a USGI bolt, does that now make it a copy of a M1A?

Sirex