• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jlynne2

Apr 13, 2020
    Maryland
    Hello all.
    I am new here. I have went through thousands of posts and threads just reading everyone’s comments. Seems this forum is flooding with knowledge. I am a woman who just filed for my hand gun permit March 27 2020. Check cashed March 30 2020. So now I wait.... for them to shit all over my 2A right, I can only assume.
    Any how, looking for some mentors in the shooting community as this has become my new hobby. I’m 29, mom of a 1.5 year old, just wanting to protect my family. Also training as a social worker.
    Sorry for being all over the place. I am mainly interested in the approximate wait times now given the covid-19 response by the state. I am wondering if I will have an over the phone interview. I have so many questions that seem unanswered due to Maryland’s horrendous 2A laws, rules, and regulations.
    I know they specify 90 days in their SOP.
    Anyone have an idea on wait time these days?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    What is your "good and substantial" reason?
    Are you talking about a wear and carry permit or the HQL in order to just purchase a regulated firearm?

Jlynne2

Apr 13, 2020
    Maryland
    Domestic violence as good and substantial. I have an NRA trainer who has coached me through every aspect of this but still left with many questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jlynne2

Apr 13, 2020
    Maryland
    What is your "good and substantial" reason?
    Are you talking about a wear and carry permit or the HQL in order to just purchase a regulated firearm?

Already have an HQL. Just recently applied for wear and carry. Domestic violence related with all court documents to show. Prefer to not get in-depth unless we got a lawyer on her who would be of assistance. I’m just curious on the time frame. Am I looking at 90 days for the approval or denial ? Or shorter ?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Already have an HQL. Just recently applied for wear and carry. Domestic violence related with all court documents to show. Prefer to not get in-depth unless we got a lawyer on her who would be of assistance. I’m just curious on the time frame. Am I looking at 90 days for the approval or denial ? Or shorter ?

I wasn't prying for details. Sorry about your situation.

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD

I’m two weeks behind you (app went to accepted on Monday) but I have the exact same set of questions. Good luck to us both!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jlynne2

Apr 13, 2020
    Maryland
    I’m two weeks behind you (app went to accepted on Monday) but I have the exact same set of questions. Good luck to us both!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes these are confusing and difficult times were in. All the threads I found previously were not based under these circumstances. I’m curious how long we’ll be waiting. I wish you all the luck !!! Keep me updated on your status for sure.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Oh no, no offense to you what so ever. Just wanted to put that out there for others who may be so inclined to ask. Also, thank you.

Just to rub salt in, I can hear some holier than thou trooper say "Well, it's more dangerous to carry a gun because then he can use it on you".

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I wish you luck.
    Most law abiding MD citizens never get to exercise their right to self defense by concealed carry.

Jlynne2

Apr 13, 2020
    Maryland
    Just to rub salt in, I can hear some holier than thou trooper say "Well, it's more dangerous to carry a gun because then he can use it on you".

I agree with that statement. Mainly because I do believe there is a double standard (regardless of what anyone says about that) between women and men carrying. I am trained. Beginner of course but I am responsible and before covid-19 I was attending the range once a week. I’m confident in my beginner skills. Things between the other party and I have subsided greatly. This occurred in July 2019. However, that does not mean that things will not escalate quickly as he can have a temper. I have a feeling this is something I’ll be fighting for quite some time. My NRA instructor seems to think this is an easy going with my case.

Jlynne2

Apr 13, 2020
    Maryland
    Welcome to the forum , and i applaud you for protecting yourself . Others rely on a piece of paper , be safe and good luck to you .

Thank you so much! I’m glad I found a community to rely on for support and communication.

Jlynne2

Apr 13, 2020
    Maryland
    I wish you luck.
    Most law abiding MD citizens never get to exercise their right to self defense by concealed carry.

Thank you. Md is a horrid state but due to circumstances I am stuck in this state for many years with my job position I am not willing to give up. Otherwise you’d find me in a state which was way more lenient.

Jlynne2

Apr 13, 2020
    Maryland
    If you have a clean record, don't drink a lot and don't lie on any questions, domestic violence is "good" G&S. You should end up with a unrestricted wear & carry permit.

Clean record. Never drink except wine or a beer here and there. Don’t have time for that with a toddler haha I believe my reasoning is legitimate. Although to be completely honest, like many of you I am sure, I do not believe we should need a reason to protect our families. But md says we do, so here we are. I would never lie on any questionnaire. I’ve presented all facts via court documentation. Although we see each other fairly frequently and I’m not sure if they will consider that an issue or not. No protective order is in place because we have a son in common and he’s never shown any hostility towards my son, ever. I have yet to receive a call for an interview. Not sure what they will ask or how it will proceed with this mandatory shut down.

Jlynne2

Apr 13, 2020
    Maryland
    This forum has LOTS of people knowledgeable in many different fields. Heck, you have already been talking to a (recently retired) Federal Air Marshall.
    Keep your skin on the thick side and you'll fit right in here.

Don’t worry. I’m not one to get into my feelings about things. I like straight forward people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom