• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    I just got a new XL750. Setup is going OK. I have a little bit of a problem with 9mm. I have two questions for the guys that have either the 650 or 750. I am getting a few cases out of a dozen that hang up on the lip of the sizing die. I was using an RCBS and switched out to a Lee die. The amount of cases hanging up have gotten less, but it's still annoying. Anyone have this problem? Second is the case feed. When I finish a run, how do you stop new cases from being fed to the shell plate, so that the remaining cases that are primed can be processed? I'm pretty sure that the 650 operates the same as the 750.

Thanks,
    Todd S

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    With the 650 at least, a lot of the hang-ups on the sizing die have to do with the smoothness of the lever pull. The part that nudges the case under the sizing die backs off a bit with the stroke, and if I'm too herky-jerky with it the case pops back a bit. If it still happens, I'll move the case back over without letting up on the lever (so the cases don't advance).

ETA--For the second question, if you've just got a few cases left in the tube, you can manually pull back on the wedge-shaped plastic guide to release the case from the sizing station, or you can just allow them to resize and pull them out of the second station before belling and powder drop.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Cases aren't being slid all the way into the holder on station one would be my guess. 9x19 is not a straight case, it's tapered. The die mouth is also radiused. The die is out of alignment with the case by a fair amount for a 9x19 to hang-up on the die

FFGomer

Mar 5, 2018
    York County, PA
    How long did you wait?

How long did it take for you to get your 750? I ordered mine on the 29th and was told that they are approximately 3 weeks behind on shipping them due to demand.

Also, Unique Tech makes a replacement part that will allow you to turn case feed on and off. Not sure if it is worth $33 but may be worth looking into?

http://uniquetek.com/product/T1704

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    I bought it at the Gettysburg Gun show. The guy had everything there. Case feeder and two complete conversion kits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Off topic but do you separate once fired brass by brand , 9mm. It’s all brass that I have fired. New to reloading been reading a lot have most everything , full of questions.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    With 9 I just clean them and load them. Rifle rounds I will keep separated with number of firings.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Dillon dies have a bit more bell in the sizing die mouth to prevent this.

But make sure that the cases are being fully inserted into the shell plate by the case feeder.

For stopping, you turn off the case feeder when getting close, then run down the cases in the tube. Drop a few more, and repeat until you run out of cases and primers at the same time.

But if you run out of primers, just remove the case when the ram is at the bottom and you feel no primer, but before you run the ram up and dispense powder.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    So I got the 9mm sizing fixed. I had to adjust the plate timing. It was moved less than 1/16”.

Now, I’m going to setup for 223. Usually I decap, clean, size and trim separately. I’m still going to decap, steel pin tumble, and swage primer pockets separately. Does anyone lube cases and run them like that, through the press? Do you worry about lube on finished rounds?

Scrounger

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    For case preparation, I first clean the brass. Then lube it either with a lube decapping die or spray lube. Then run it thru the press. Then clean the brass in a Dillon Vibratory cleaner to remove the lube.

For loading. The brass gets lubed with spray lube then run thru the press. Then the loaded ammo goes into the Dillon Vibratory cleaner. Vibrating loaded ammo to remove case lube doesn’t cause any problems.

The only issue is once cleaning media is used for removing lube it is worthless for case cleaning. I have cleaning media and contaminated lube media for each task.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    For case preparation, I first clean the brass. Then lube it either with a lube decapping die or spray lube. Then run it thru the press. Then clean the brass in a Dillon Vibratory cleaner to remove the lube.

For loading. The brass gets lubed with spray lube then run thru the press. Then the loaded ammo goes into the Dillon Vibratory cleaner. Vibrating loaded ammo to remove case lube doesn’t cause any problems.

The only issue is once cleaning media is used for removing lube it is worthless for case cleaning. I have cleaning media and contaminated lube media for each task.

That’s basically the way I do mine now. Except I wet tumble prior to sizing. Then vibratory tumble after sizing.

Clippers69

Mar 7, 2011
    Dillon

I have a Dillon 650 and do my .223 in two stages. I tumble, size, decap, and trim separately. I lube the brass. I use a separate tool head to size the brass. It only has two sizing dies, one full-size and a small base die for ammo I shoot in an AR-15. I full length size in a single stage press for my bolt only.
    I use a second tool head with everything except the sizing die, so I don't have to lube the brass. It seats a primer, charges the case, powder checks the round, seats the bullet, and places a light crimp on the finished round.
    I use two sizing dies because I ran a tool head with all of the dies and wound up with rounds that did not chamber properly in my AR-15 and blew two barrels, a Spikes Tactical and a BCM. I then pulled the bullets from over 1800 rounds already loaded and 2000 brass casings ready to charge because I didn't want to blow barrels again and I didn't trust me using the Dillon in one stage to load a round. It doesn't take that long to complete the process for me.
    When I get the money, I might get a trimmer to set in the first tool head.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    I have a Dillon 650 and do my .223 in two stages. I tumble, size, decap, and trim separately. I lube the brass. I use a separate tool head to size the brass. It only has two sizing dies, one full-size and a small base die for ammo I shoot in an AR-15. I full length size in a single stage press for my bolt only.

I use a second tool head with everything except the sizing die, so I don't have to lube the brass. It seats a primer, charges the case, powder checks the round, seats the bullet, and places a light crimp on the finished round.

I use two sizing dies because I ran a tool head with all of the dies and wound up with rounds that did not chamber properly in my AR-15 and blew two barrels, a Spikes Tactical and a BCM. I then pulled the bullets from over 1800 rounds already loaded and 2000 brass casings ready to charge because I didn't want to blow barrels again and I didn't trust me using the Dillon in one stage to load a round. It doesn't take that long to complete the process for me.

When I get the money, I might get a trimmer to set in the first tool head.

That’s what I was thinking, with using two tool heads. Hadn’t thought about setting a trimmer up. That’s a good idea. Gotta spend my stimulus on something...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I do my mil 5.56 brass, once fired, in two passes with two tool heads.

First pass is with tumbled brass to remove dirt and grit. First station is Lee Universal Decapper. Second station is sizing die. I lube with Dillon lube.

I tumble to clean. My media works fine for cleaning and de-lubing. I use corn cob.

Then I swage the primer pockets. I don't bother trimming once fired.

Second pass has no die in first station. Rest is normal process. Prime, powder, bullet, done.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    I do my mil 5.56 brass, once fired, in two passes with two tool heads.

First pass is with tumbled brass to remove dirt and grit. First station is Lee Universal Decapper. Second station is sizing die. I lube with Dillon lube.

I tumble to clean. My media works fine for cleaning and de-lubing. I use corn cob.

Then I swage the primer pockets. I don't bother trimming once fired.

Second pass has no die in first station. Rest is normal process. Prime, powder, bullet, done.

I get a lot of range pickup. Just one out 20 really screws me up, if I get a crimped primer pocket. So I swage everything, just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom