• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Building an Ar using a PSA 18" rifle upper. Would like an adjustable stock. I'm getting wrapped around carbine vs. rifle buffers etc. Can you suggest a good buffer/adjustable stock combo for this set up and educate me on the differences?

Thanks.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It more or less depends on what the rifle will be used for, including sights(scopes, red dots etc). For all-around HD/SHTF, I'd go with mil-spec carbine type. The mil-spec is a bit stouter usually than the commercial buffer and is easier/better for "mortaring" due to it's flat end. Bench shooting, I'd go rifle because there are some very good, fully adjustable stocks available for that.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    If looking for some adjustment for rifle vice carbine setup, magpul makes a precision adjustable rifle stock (PRS). A few other types like this as well. Would need a A1 or A2 buffer installed to afix this option. They are a bit pricey but very good rifle stock. Not collapsible nor very quickly adjustable like a mil spec or commercial carbine stock. For those options I prefer mil spec primarily for future replacement parts.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    I have another AR (w/ fixed stock) for bench shooting. This will be a plinker. Looking for a nicely priced 6-position adjustable. It should be durable, but does not need a lot of bling. It looks like some come with buffer tubes and others don't.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Go to Joe Bob's web site, get the six-position carbine buffer tube kit, preferably mil-spec versus commercial, with buffer and spring. While you're there, get a Magpul MOE stock in the color you want. Install on your lower.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Rifle length basically limits you to a fixed stock, or a PRS, adjustable. When you say "adjustable", depends on what adjustments you want, or if you just want collapsible. If you have time, the new UBR gen 2 should be awesome, when it comes out in a couple months. The gen 1 is collapsible, but comfy and solid as a fixed stock, only downside is the cost and weight, gen 2 is lighter and cheaper, and includes everything except for a buffer and spring, can also use the A5 setup for smoother recoil. Outside of that, for a stock to slip over a tube, I like the ACS-Ls, longer with more cheek room than most others, and more comfortable, the ACS are a bit too bulky

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have another AR (w/ fixed stock) for bench shooting. This will be a plinker. Looking for a nicely priced 6-position adjustable. It should be durable, but does not need a lot of bling. It looks like some come with buffer tubes and others don't.

Magpul. Not a fan of a lot of their stuff, but their carbine stocks are first rate.:thumbsup:

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Thanks for the suggestions.

So no problem running a carbine tube on an 18" rifle, recoil-wise? I don't want to batter the thing into pieces.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

So no problem running a carbine tube on an 18" rifle, recoil-wise? I don't want to batter the thing into pieces.

None. If you feel you are banging it up, go to the next heavier buffer or an adjustable gas block. Those will help tame things.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    If you want an adjustable rifle stock the Magpul PRS is great (as already stated), but a great alternative is the Luth AR Precision stock. Cheaper than the Magpul but still a fantastic stock.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

proper Bolt speed is the goal. Most rifles tap a surplus of gas, the heavier the buffer, the slower it runs, you reduce the recoil from the buffer smacking the back of the tube, and the momentum from the heavy components plows through dirt to keep it reliable. Too much buffer/carrier weight for a particular ammo, and it may slow the bolt too much, and cause it to short stroke, or not lock on an empty mag. A FA carrier with H-H2 buffer usually run well in most rifles, the weight does cause the muzzle to jump a little as the bolt comes back, and when it slams into battery. There isn't a huge length difference in the travel distance of a rifle or carbine buffer, but at 5.2oz a rifle buffer is just a hair lighter than an H3 buffer, and does slow cycle speed compared to lightweight and standard carbine buffers Shorter gas systems increase port pressure, longer barrels for a given gas system increase the time pressure is few into the action, a 16" carbine length is usually about as bad as it gets, a rifle length 18" tends to be far more mild as a result. You can use an adjustable block to reduce the gas and slow the bolt, it also allows lighter bolt/buffer components that reduce muzzle movement and perceived recoil, but you loose the momentum that overcomes resistance from dirt. You can run a different spring to add resistance to bolt movement, but it doesn't change cycle speed as much as bolt/carrier weight, and can have some problems with timing, or cycling.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    proper Bolt speed is the goal. Most rifles tap a surplus of gas, the heavier the buffer, the slower it runs, you reduce the recoil from the buffer smacking the back of the tube, and the momentum from the heavy components plows through dirt to keep it reliable. Too much buffer/carrier weight for a particular ammo, and it may slow the bolt too much, and cause it to short stroke, or not lock on an empty mag. A FA carrier with H-H2 buffer usually run well in most rifles, the weight does cause the muzzle to jump a little as the bolt comes back, and when it slams into battery. There isn't a huge length difference in the travel distance of a rifle or carbine buffer, but at 5.2oz a rifle buffer is just a hair lighter than an H3 buffer, and does slow cycle speed compared to lightweight and standard carbine buffers Shorter gas systems increase port pressure, longer barrels for a given gas system increase the time pressure is few into the action, a 16" carbine length is usually about as bad as it gets, a rifle length 18" tends to be far more mild as a result. You can use an adjustable block to reduce the gas and slow the bolt, it also allows lighter bolt/buffer components that reduce muzzle movement and perceived recoil, but you loose the momentum that overcomes resistance from dirt. You can run a different spring to add resistance to bolt movement, but it doesn't change cycle speed as much as bolt/carrier weight, and can have some problems with timing, or cycling.

It is a balancing act, for sure. Trying to find the right components for your AR has been made more difficult due mostly to the over abundance of varied ammunition. Back in the "good old days", you only had 5-7 different loads of ammunition to choose from, most of that being surplus 5.56. Things were much simpler then...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom