• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I took our dog out around 6:15 this morning and we walked around the house toward the road.
    I heard sound of several barking dogs not too far away. No house close enough for the sound. Sounded like it was coming from corn field across the road.
    Minute later heard loud bleating (assuming young deer) from same general direction. Never saw anything, but sounded like it was within 300 yards or so.
    Been here 15 years and I have seen a stray dog now and then, but nothing like this.

Kind of disturbing.

Anyone have any problems or information about wild dogs in MD (especially southern Caroline County)?

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Feral dogs are by far the biggest wildlife threat to humans in Maryland. I got treed for two hours once by three dogs who were feeding on a deer carcass back in Loch Raven Reservoir.

People's dogs get loose and they run away, or people can't afford them or no longer want them and abandon them. They end up forming into packs, regain their predatory killing instincts, and have no fear of humans. They are bad news.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    Feral dogs are by far the biggest wildlife threat to humans in Maryland. I got treed for two hours once by three dogs who were feeding on a deer carcass back in Loch Raven Reservoir.

People's dogs get loose and they run away, or people can't afford them or no longer want them and abandon them. They end up forming into packs, regain their predatory killing instincts, and have no fear of humans. They are bad news.

That's no joke!

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore

Attachments

• 765458.jpg
      765458.jpg
      74.1 KB · Views: 710

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Not to worry. I'm sure it was just Old Rooter the Beagle chasing a deer back across the Rainbow Bridge...

Attachments

• Rooter in Millersville Back Yard 10_2008  Capture 02.jpg
      Rooter in Millersville Back Yard 10_2008 Capture 02.jpg
      33.1 KB · Views: 494

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Carry a gun or some type of weapon as if they are in a pack and think you look tasty, you could be lunch. It doesn't take long for family pets to go back to their roots. Chris

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Could be Beagles chasing down a deer.

Good possibility. We used to have a pack of them in Darlington that ran wild and would chase deer and fox around. They'd run them til exhaustion then kill them. No owners, they just stopped by various houses and got fed as needed then moved on.

I distinctly remember them running this fox one day. They must have come through the woods behind the house three or four times in short succession. Must've pissed off my Dad cause he grabbed the AR and some blanks he had laying around and fired off a few rounds at the dirt. Fox kept going but the dogs went a%@ over tin cups to turn around and get away as fast as they could.

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    I agree with Chris: carry something for protection (if not for you, then for your dog). Maryland may not let us carry to protect ourselves & loved ones in public, but we can still pack around the ol' homestead. When I could walk the dog, I'd carry on my property what I couldn't legally carry off premises, to protect us both.
    But its not just wild dogs that can be a problem. We've had our dog fight with a rabid fox (the fox did not survive the subsequent shotgun blast & it tested positive for rabies). On our walks, we've also encountered a big raccoon as well as a momma groundhog, among other things, that were not intimidated by either the 80 pound dog or the 250 pound owner. The raccoon begrudgingly backed off when the laser hit his eyes; we backed off from the groundhog. I felt a lot safer with the firepower than I would have without it.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Yeah, the Froshies don't understand rural areas. It's not just bears, whether in western MD- or the roamers going all over the state, but the dog packs and rabid animals. I've encountered some possibly rabid raccoons ( shot one, dog scared off the other) and a sick skunk that may have been rabid (called my neighbor and she came out and shot it, as it had gone to her property from mine), but thankfully not feral dogs. However, get a coyote pack filled with rabies, and you may have a problem. Oh yeah, and feral hogs- no doubt coming to us in the near future.

Mako

MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2016
    ES of MD
    You could call the Humane Society here in CC, but more than likely you will not see much done though. We complained about feral cats killing some of our poultry, with no response, caught one of them took them in and we got the impression we were evil people for protecting our livestock.

cah9583

Back yard AR mechanic ?
    Aug 3, 2016
    Preston Md
    Definately wild dogs I have seen and heard them around choptank area outside of Preston and have buddies that have killed a few

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom