• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • terps2005

Mar 22, 2013
    On Monday I went to a public range with my wife. I don't really want to name the range because it's not their fault and there isn't much they could do about it. After shooting we left and stopped by a store in Dunkirk on our way home. I came out of the store to the beautiful sight of 2 Calvert County sheriffs cruisers behind my truck. I had been followed from the range and had my handgun stolen. Looking back I should have paid more attention to my surroundings. The idiots smashed my window with a tire iron and stole only the bag the gun was in. I'm out the cost of the gun plus $500 for my auto deductible. When they smashed the window they were nice enough to tear up the door and window track as well. Instead of a $50 used window I need a bunch of bodywork to fix it. Auto won't cover the gun and my homeowners deductible is too high for them to do anything. I'm in the process of jumping through all the hoops to get my HQL now so I can get it replaced. I just want to encourage everyone to keep your head on a swivel and don't get complacent like me! Thankfully I did stop and they didn't follow me home and no one got hurt.

terps2005

Mar 22, 2013
    They do have outside surveillance and the CCSO has a copy..nothing clear enough to get tag numbers though.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I understand your reluctance to name the range, but it may be helpful to do so, just so others who go there can be aware that there may be BGs stalking people as they leave.

I go to On Target, and they have been known to be a location where criminals will follow shooters for a smash-n-grab, so I make sure I'm not followed when I leave.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I'm curious as to what range this was. I don't know of any range in Calvert, so were you coming from MSAR in Forestville maybe? How did the sheriffs get there so quick, who called them? Very interesting.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Someone needs to introduce the tire iron defense act this legislative session.

FTJoe

Aug 27, 2012
    SOMD
    someone who saw the crime happening called it in? is that how police got there so fast?
    I am sorry for your loss. I have shot at MSAR and try to keep my SA when I leave.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I understand your reluctance to name the range, but it may be helpful to do so, just so others who go there can be aware that there may be BGs stalking people as they leave.

I go to On Target, and they have been known to be a location where criminals will follow shooters for a smash-n-grab, so I make sure I'm not followed when I leave.

I agree. This is not isolated to that range. Please let folks know which one it was. I was warned about the same thing has happened at Continental. We all know it is NOT the fault of the establishment.
    When I to to a public range I am keenly aware of SA and never take a direct route home.
    I am sorry for your misfortune and glad you are ok. It could have ended much worse.

Last edited:

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Give some thought, if you will, to the type of person who might perpetrate this specific crime. This isn't someone who is too worried about risk... Or consequence. Either really stupid or really dangerous. (or both). Thus even more important to be ready and to expect the worst. Imagine if they'd come back outside earlier...during the actual theft.

The system is designed to protect all the wrong folks and to make vulnerable the rest of us. FN politicians and lameA55 justice system. Vigilance has its reward...and vice versa.

Thanks again OP.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I think the risk of theft is a "good and substantial" reason to wear it on your hip. Of course, the tards will cite the only to and from your home to the range language and blame the victim.:sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom