• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The SOCOM and Beowulf use factory standard 5.56 mags. Beowulf suggests that you bend the feed lips out slightly, but I never have, and haven't had a problem. I actually use Pmags for it without issues.

They are all equally compatible with the lower. I guess it depends what you want to do with it. The beowulf is ballistically similar to the .45-70. With the right load, it's good for hogs, deer and moose- it's a thumper.
    I hear the Grendal is a good distance round (don't know... don't have one). What are you going to do with it?

If you're looking for "practical", stick with 5.56. Most of the ammo you've listed (except the 6.8SPC & 7.62) is expensive and/or hard to get. Since Nov. 4, Beowulf ammo that used to sell for $25 a box and was readily available, is getting upwards of $70 a box on gunbroker and hard to find.

Grendel is comparatively cheap at $10/box delivered. Bill alexander was smart when he released the Grendel - he had Prvi load a couple million rounds. No one has really jumped on the beo wagon - too bad about that. The Grendel ammo is marketed under the wolf gold line but is made by Prvi in serbia. Also a grendel mag holds 25 rounds.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    I'm actualy looking for a larger caliber for a couple of reasons...

1) Because I can
    2) To own an AR that is useable for hunting larger game (deer)
    3) Because I can
    4) To show that the AR can be used as a hunting rifle
    5) Because I can

As related to 1, 3 and 5 above, a 50 cal would be cool! I'd like to say I have a 50 cal that I use for hunting to shut up those who say 50 cals have no hunting use.

My eyes are starting to really suck, so longer range is not important, but still interesting. I always like something that can reach out there.

So, my first foray into alternates should make maximum use of my existing lower and magazines, so that will probably drive my decision.

Still thinking on it...

-Boxcab

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    I'm actualy looking for a larger caliber for a couple of reasons...

1) Because I can
    2) To own an AR that is useable for hunting larger game (deer)
    3) Because I can
    4) To show that the AR can be used as a hunting rifle
    5) Because I can

As related to 1, 3 and 5 above, a 50 cal would be cool! I'd like to say I have a 50 cal that I use for hunting to shut up those who say 50 cals have no hunting use.

My eyes are starting to really suck, so longer range is not important, but still interesting. I always like something that can reach out there.

So, my first foray into alternates should make maximum use of my existing lower and magazines, so that will probably drive my decision.

Still thinking on it...

-Boxcab

We're in the same boat, I have been dying to build a deer gun on my MDShooters AR 15 lower, but I can't pick a caliber I'll be happy with. Im begining to settle with the idea that im gonna have to go the AR 10 route to get the velocity and energy that I want.

If I do make a deer gun or mid sized game gun out of the AR 15 lower that I have, it will most likely be 6.5.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    dave,

if you want to really man up with an M16, get the Beer can launcher. got a gas diffuser in the bottom. guy down at the Creek made em several years ago. Rick has one. Talk about a hit. At the Thunder in the Hills shoot, people actually applauded while I was landing PBRs on the hood of a burning car at 200 yards once I got the range in.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Box

I have both the 6.8 and the Grendel. If I were you I would opt for the 6.5. AMMOMAN has great deals on the ammo now. $10/box delivered. Just got a case.

Neither the 6.8 nor the 6.5 use "standard" 5.56 mags. The internal geometry is different to account for the positioning of the shoulder on those 2 rounds. C Products makes excellent Stainless teflon coated mags in both calibers. I have dozens of them and they work flawlessly. They are in stock at c products.

Attached is a comparative ballistics table that compares the 5.56, 7.62x51, 6.8, and 6.5. Some of the conclusions that RED posted, I just dont agree with. When you are looking at the point where a round has <500ft/lbs of energy the grendel is far superior to 5.56 and 6.8. It has plenty of energy. Using a standard AR reciever - the grendel is about as good as it gets.

BTW - you will also need to change the bolt head to go with 6.8 or 6.5.

What a great chart. Thanks!!!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Someone needs to make a 357 or a 44man upper

I asked about a Saiga conversion to .45 Colt a while back. I asked if someone could swap the .410 barrel with a .45 Colt barrel and run it, but everyone who read my question had a reading comprehension fail and thought I was going to run .45 Colt out of the .410 barrel :rolleyes: . I mentioned the .410 since the .45 Colt ammo would work with that magazine.

Jim

Edward78

Apr 4, 2009
    Newburg, MD SoMd
    Do we know what he ended up getting was it the Beowulf or what I feel like this was a thread that got bad rating and was canceled after the first season and we never found out the ending :sad20:. But I think he needs to get the 300 Blackout or Whisper they use factory AR 15 mags :D.

Edward78

Apr 4, 2009
    Newburg, MD SoMd
    Yeah, this is an old thread. That pic of my rifle was two scopes ago ('wulf recoil kept breaking them) and two stocks ago ('wulf recoil kept breaking them.)

I have a 450 Bushmaster that has some petty hard recoil itself I ended up using a Ace none adjustable stock and a Nikon 2-7 Shotgun scope and it has held up very well with well over 100 rounds.

Ed

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I have a 450 Bushmaster that has some petty hard recoil itself I ended up using a Ace none adjustable stock and a Nikon 2-7 Shotgun scope and it has held up very well with well over 100 rounds.

Ed

I killed a cheap red dot almost immediately, killed a Millet DMS-1 at ~300 rounds, broke a chicom 6 position stock at around 800 rounds, and a second one at around 1400 rounds.

Since it's really only a 150-200 yard gun anyway, I finally just switched to irons, and just put an Ergo F93 stock on it. We'll see how it holds up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom