• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    So, I am in the process of down sizing my life. Unfortunately, this involves needing to sell a good portion of the firearms I own. I don't really have the time or aptitude to sell them on my own. Does anyone have any suggestions?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    If you don't want to sell them on your own, consign them to a MDS IP.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    If you don't want to sell them on your own, consign them to a MDS IP.

This is pretty much painless if you’re not looking for top dollar and want minimum hassle. Most shops that take consignments also buy outright, which is even easier. When you consider the fees for consignment against the lower price you would get for selling to the shop, there’s usually not much difference in what you would pocket and it only takes one trip to the shop.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    South Carroll Sporting Goods.
    I agree that a list with what you want them for is a good idea.
    If you just don't like dealing with people, cash and guns, then consignment with a shop.
    If a portion is C&R, make a list and post to C&R forum.
    Be prepared to take and send pics though if you want to sell on your own.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    South Carroll Sporting Goods.
    I agree that a list with what you want them for is a good idea.
    If you just don't like dealing with people, cash and guns, then consignment with a shop.
    If a portion is C&R, make a list and post to C&R forum.
    Be prepared to take and send pics though if you want to sell on your own.

You should take pics and have a list anyway if you are going to consign them so you can document how they were when you handed them to the shop. So that isn't extra work

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    If it is A LOT of firearms, I would take them to an IP and have them do consignment. The IP can help you determine a realistic value and a realistic sale price for each firearm. The shop will have to do all of the real work of marketing, dealing with the public, and/or posting it online and again dealing with more knuckleheads.

OTOH the selfish me has cash. What do you have and what do you expect for each firearm? Can you do a first offer up on MDS?

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Consignment is simplest. Advertising here or say Armslist will bring more cash, but you work for it.

Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    That's what I did with "extra firearms". I just did a consignment with United in January. It was painless experience on my end.

However, I should have waited and done that in April. I would have made triple :)

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Ha, I agree with all the recommendations here.

Post a list here with suggested prices. Long guns can be purchased face to face legally in Maryland. Hand guns require a FFL to conduct a background check, have the buyer meet you at a local FFL to do the transfer. You get 100% of the sales price and very little hassle.

Guns that don't sell within a week, take them to a local gun shop and sell on consignment. The dealer handles all the work and takes a cut (my local dealer is 15%) and cuts you a check for the rest. They handle the background checks and responsibility, but take some of your profit margin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom