• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    He's taunting you, that's his "I'd look good as a should mount, think you can get me?"
    yeah, If I ever shot this one, thats how hes going to get mounted...:lol2:

I typically bow hunt on Thanksgiving morning. Glad i wasnt in the stand this morning!!!

My son heard the tree fall and crash into the stand this morning.
    Yikes! Glad you werent in there!...similar situation during bear season few years ago now, had thunderstorms rolling through but I forget the details, anyhow where my stand was the tree right next to it got hit by lightening and blew up. shards were everywhere, had one of us been sitting there we would have got hit by lightening or the shards. Weird thing was it was down the hill not even the tallest thing around.:sad20:

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Sometime in the past 4 days some sorry POS stole both of my game cameras out of my woods. I had to walk around and make sure the tree stands hadn't been tampered with ( didn't appear to be) and found the older larger moultrie laying behind one with the SD card gone. That cam has been in that area for 5 or 6 years with no issues. The other one has been out for 3 years.
    F$%#ing thieves. This is the first time in almost 15 years we've had stuff stolen out of the woods.

I typically bow hunt on Thanksgiving morning. Glad i wasnt in the stand this morning!!!

My son heard the tree fall and crash into the stand this morning.

That would have left a mark. Good thing you didn't go out.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Connected with an 8 this morning in Randolph County WV. So far this week all I had been seeing was spikes and does, letting all of them walk. Bow hunting has largely been a bust for me, with the only decent buck (seeing him multiple times) showing up 85-120 yards away and spikes, 4 and small 6’s in range.
    4098FE64-1F1D-4C88-812F-72D064CC4F6B.jpg

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I did not know you could hunt Monocacy with a rifle?

Heard back today of all days from Seneca Creek State park, “all legal weapons are legal in Monocacy, yes deer rifle is okay”

So I am hoping in a couple of weeks to spend the later part of Friday still hunting it.

Need to catchup on delayed work on my house while I’ve been down with horrible food poisoning for a week and now out of town.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Cool thread, guys! Lifelong city boy here, so which critters can be taken with which weapons at which time of year is always confusing, but that fact that delicious meat is walking around out in the woods fascinates me.

Took vacation Wednesday and met up with my brother-in-law at the Associated Gun Clubs ranges in Marriottsville. Got there around 3pm and basically had the 100-yard Barnes Range to ourselves. Had a nice chat with the Range Officer on duty.

He wanted to test fire an older Remington (700?) inline muzzleloader, and confirm zero on a flintlock that he shoots in Pennsylvania.
    attachment.php

Two shots from the in-line were nearly touching at 50yds. Happy with that.

Primitive flintlock Carbine has a peep/diopter sight that we installed last year and that put one round dead center than the other 1.5” higher which will do the trick. The

Didn’t have a freestanding target to put at 75 yards, so set my frame at 100. Had one hangfire with a significant delay with the Remington inline and missed the target entirely. Second shot was about 3” low and an inch right, which my BIL felt was workable for 100yds. I have no idea what the ballistic curve is for a giant copper hollowpoint sabot is. :shrug:
    attachment.php

After that he had some issues getting the inline to fire. I think it was dirty. Cleaned the bore, and tried to clean the breach but even with some primers igniting we didn’t get it to fire again before sundown. He cleaned it at home. :fingerscrossed: Hopefully it’ll work Saturday and get him a deer because his jersey and deer sticks are delicious.

Tried taking photos though the scope to show the reticle and also through my spotting scope, with mixed success. A photographer I am not :lol:

Attachments

• BAEC9FFA-E905-4557-A8DB-5FA8BDD4B333.jpg
      BAEC9FFA-E905-4557-A8DB-5FA8BDD4B333.jpg
      72.7 KB · Views: 566
    • 156AFEAC-602F-4ECC-9C26-981633314D2D.jpg
      156AFEAC-602F-4ECC-9C26-981633314D2D.jpg
      61.3 KB · Views: 343
    • E18A1BDC-3AD5-4BD7-90AB-3B459FD63CCD.jpg
      E18A1BDC-3AD5-4BD7-90AB-3B459FD63CCD.jpg
      53.4 KB · Views: 316
    • E0A0DCE3-16FF-4572-9FF9-342723F4EB85.jpg
      E0A0DCE3-16FF-4572-9FF9-342723F4EB85.jpg
      88 KB · Views: 540

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I bought a Remington 700 ML when they first came out and still hunt with it today.The only time I had with problems with delayed ignition was when I tried Pyrodex loose powder and pellets using # 11 caps,or if I hunted in damp conditions and tried to fire it another day.

They are a PIA to clean compared to the other MLs out now,but I have so many deer with mine,I feel I owe it something....lol

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I bought a Remington 700 ML when they first came out and still hunt with it today.The only time I had with problems with delayed ignition was when I tried Pyrodex loose powder and pellets using # 11 caps,or if I hunted in damp conditions and tried to fire it another day.

They are a PIA to clean compared to the other MLs out now,but I have so many deer with mine,I feel I owe it something....lol
    The 700 ML has by a huge margin been my most productive grocery getter since 1995. I got off the #11 percussion cap train long ago. Now the 209 shotshell primer is the only way to go, never going back.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I've had a 700ML since about 96 or 97. They seem to get a lot of bad press, but mine has always worked very well. Unfortunately, I let someone 'care' for it during an extended absence from MD, and they neglected to clean it after shooting it once. The bore got pretty eaten up and kinda broke my heart (it was mint in my care), but for all intents and purposes, it still shoots great. I never converted from #11's and never had an issue with them.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Heading out tomorrow pretty pumped. Have some Tinks #69 left over. Is it appropriate to use this time of the year ??

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I already crushed the underside of my left pinky finger to where the fat keeps oozing out of it this afternoon and drilled into the second knuckle of the finger above it earlier in the day. Sheesh.

I'm still going though, electrical tape ought to hold it all together pretty well. Hope everybody gets a deer and some big ones too.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Good luck to everyone heading out today! I’m not in the woods, driving home from WV. Planning on tomorrow and Monday morning in MD.

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    I’ll never understand the fools who decide opening day at 7 AM is a good day to practice target shooting, because there’s no way that they’re shooting at deer.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    No movement so far and I shot myself in the face with deer pee....good morning

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom