• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How much would you pay per year for an unrestricted MD Carry Permit?

• $0 - I won't pay blackmail money for a right

Votes: 110 43.8%
    • $100 per year seems reasonable

Votes: 84 33.5%
    • $250 per year, a bit high but worth it

Votes: 33 13.1%
    • $500 per year, but not liking it

Votes: 14 5.6%
    • $1000 per year, ridiculous, but I want a permit

Votes: 6 2.4%
    • $1500 or more... just bend me over, Annapolis

Votes: 4 1.6%

• Total voters

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    The paperwork is very burdensome and often confusing and expensive. Maryland has chosen to lump their conceal-carry application together with many variations which often adds many portions that are not required along with other detailed justifications. In fairness to Maryland State Police, between the politics of anti- Second Amendment politicians, the never-ending search for unstable applicants with a bad history of wrong doing from a State that clearly does not trust its own citizens ( regardless of a clean record and previous training) brings lots of bureaucracy. The final result usually brings a limited license that restricts the applicant to “only”what is applied for ( nothing more). It is quite easy for an applicant to lose their momentum. After all of these obstacles, I found the Maryland State Police to be fair and excellent during this time consuming process. It is very clear to me that Maryland is heavily influenced by Democratic anti-firearm political leadership. Whenever any Nationwide firearm crisis arises, Maryland moves to restrict legal law-abiding citizens. Maryland also repeatedly elects anti-2nd Amendment politicians which adds to confusion.

This was my experience as well. The investigator that ran my interviews and process was very professional and helpful. I had a pretty clear cut case and they put everything through in less than two weeks once the application was submitted. The biggest problem is that it cost me close to $400, two whole days, lots of frustration with digging up information just to get the application completed.

hawkhuff

Aug 15, 2012
    Carroll County, MD
    Maryland wants to make firearm ownership burdensome.

The fees increase that burdensomeness.

After enough burden has been applied, many folks won't buy guns.

Fewer guns bought, means fewer guns in Maryland.

Fewer guns in Maryland, means fewer gun shops in Maryland.

The MGA is a collection of highly corrupt and morally deficient potted plants. But they aren't stupid.

Understood except for one very important point where I would disagree. There wouldn't be fewer guns in MD. Judging by the carnage in Balto I would be loathe to say all those guns are legally possessed and carried. However, I could be wrong. That said I would amend your statement to say (or to mean) fewer LEGAL guns and gun owners.

Cheers and Merry Christmas.

ytmndan

Feb 14, 2017
    Why are the only available options nothing or insanely high amounts? $100 a year is still at least 5 times as much as just about any other state.

$125 for initial application and first five years. $75 for renewals every five years. I consider that reasonable.

hawkhuff

Aug 15, 2012
    Carroll County, MD
    Why are the only available options nothing or insanely high amounts? $100 a year is still at least 5 times as much as just about any other state.

$125 for initial application and first five years. $75 for renewals every five years. I consider that reasonable.

I agree with you completely.

rstickle

Jul 12, 2008
    Laurel, MD
    I already pay two other states about $100 fro multiple years (Florida is 7 years.) I'd pay the same for my "home state", as long as it unrestricted.like most other States.

I'm actually paying $250 for the initial and $75 for the 2 year renewal. The cost is for the service of drafting the justification letter and processing the paperwork. It really pisses me off that I have to jump through these hoops and owning rental property is what "earns" me my rights, but at this point it's been boiled down, in my mind, to an issue of practicalities. Do I feel the need to carry concealed? Yes. Could I carry concealed without the permit? Sure, but there are significant risks to that. I have the requirement, the hoops put in place to satisfy that requirement are not what I consider to be fair, or even logical. But for whatever reason, I have the ability (fiscally and justifiably) to legally jump through those draconian hoops, so I will. However, just because I'm one of the fortunate few who "qualify", it won't cause me to stop being a member MSI or to participate in fighting the good fight regarding Maryland's unreasonable gun laws.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    If Maryland suddenly passed a law allowing unrestricted concealed carry, in exchange for two hundred dollars a year, many of the zero money people would instantly pry their wallets open.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    If Maryland suddenly passed a law allowing unrestricted concealed carry, in exchange for two hundred dollars a year, many of the zero money people would instantly pry their wallets open.

*****THIS. I saw a well known member on this forum who clearly said they would NEVER get an HQL, get an HQL and purchase a handgun recently at a local shop. Probably shouldn't have said NEVER.. At least it was a nice handgun! :lol2: (Nighthawk .45...)

I got my HQL almost immediately after they were available and bought an ass ton of handguns over the next few months, which were unfortunately lost on a deep sea fishing trip, so now I only have AR's... ;)

Wardove

Jul 23, 2017
    Blairsville, GA
    Screw Maryland. Due to gun laws and every other liberal lean, I am moving back to Georgia just as soon as I can get my wife retired....maybe sooner.

tailgunner

Oct 18, 2013
    PAsadena Md.
    I agree. ... $0.And that damn rhino hogan needs to grow some balls and enact a ccw that gives law abiding citizens the right to protect themselves in this state without kissing this liberal legislations azz.

FePhoenix

May 31, 2012
    Lexington Park
    Really depends...

- How much BS involved in getting/renewing?
    - One permit good for any weapon the bearer has?
    - Does it include open carry (so accidentally letting someone see if is NOT "brandishing or something just as stupid)
    - Is it good EVERYWHERE? I can see courtrooms and the secure zones of airports being exempt. Anything else?
    - What other states would recognize it, if any?
    - Will LEO be educated on citizen rights and how to interact with a CCW person? (this would be a good place to PUT some of those funds!)

If none-minimal/yes/yes/yes/at least the neighboring states/yes, I'd do the 100/year. If not, scale down depending on bad answers.

FePhoenix

May 31, 2012
    Lexington Park
    *****THIS. I saw a well known member on this forum who clearly said they would NEVER get an HQL, get an HQL and purchase a handgun recently at a local shop. Probably shouldn't have said NEVER.. At least it was a nice handgun! :lol2: (Nighthawk .45...)

I got my HQL almost immediately after they were available and bought an ass ton of handguns over the next few months, which were unfortunately lost on a deep sea fishing trip, so now I only have AR's... ;)

I mean it when I say I'll never get an HQL. Retired military... (and if they remove that blue ID as an equivalent, I'll go buy a few just before it is no longer valid).

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    When I lived in PA the permit came from the county sheriff's office. I think it was $12 dollars without a photo and fifteen or 18 with it to make it a secondary form of ID. It was also a five year permit that expired about 8 years ago. I hardly ever carried because everybody else was. Unless I went across the mountain on 81 or went towards Reading.

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    You need a line for $15-20 for 3-5 years. A reasonable fee to pay for the plastic card, a couple of postage stamps, and 10 minutes of a sheriff's time.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Recent revelations of HPRB appellants puts them at over $1k a year when you add legal expenses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom