• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I finally got a chance to shoot my Maverick 88 with the ATI stock and decided to make the adjustable part also spring loaded to help dissipate some of the recoil. I have a decent mill and lathe setup in my garage so why not.

DSC01656_zps4dce84bd.jpg

Today's process was to take a piece of 1.25" x 12" 6061 Aluminum and bore / turn it to mimic the black base tube. I have a chunk of 1" round stock to turn down and make a piston and a chunk of .5" x 1" rectangle stock to machine for the adjustment bar. Finally I have a heavy duty spring to fit / preload until I get the recoil action I want. I plan on having a total of 1" of movement.

DSC01686_zps293eb1b1.jpg

More to come...

Jamie

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Readers are probably going WTF so here's some more parts.

I made the piston .004" under the bore diameter so it'll act as a flow control / shock absorber. Mocked it up with a full length spring and it dampened very well (the piston stuck out the bore about an inch).

I'm not sure about wear, figure either anodize the piston or drill it for some UHMW wear nubs on the OD.

DSC01687_zpsaed1e55e.jpg

I ended up cutting the spring down enough that at rest the piston is 1/8" inside the bore and figured out the basic idea for the adjusted foot and the slot in the main tube.

I think this is going to work. :thumbsup:

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Hopefully like the jet boat, this will turn out flippin awesome. Milled the flats, slots and keyway on the parts. I just have the adjustment bar to machine and then test it out.

DSC01688_zpsa53c2a74.jpg

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    First half. I had to tune the program a bit to get a nice friction fit between the piston and the bar.

DSC01689_zpsf8c6b20b.jpg

Mocked it up with some longer bolts and the bar to tube clearance feel good.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Some more, once it was together I realized I buggered the total height and the stock wouldn't slide onto the tube / adjuster block. Looks purty though.

DSC01690_zpsa2439aae.jpg

DSC01691_zps1338d058.jpg

DSC01693_zps6d46a769.jpg

DSC01692_zpsac840be9.jpg

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Couldn't walk away that close, had to tear it apart and mill some height and check the fit. Matt hung out and learned a bit about machining so he got to do the modelling. As long as the stock doesn't eat his cheek I think it'll work out.

The shotguns feels a lot better with some heft in the back. Before it felt nose heavy, now it comes up to the ready easily and the same way each time.

DSC01694_zps406c5775.jpg

DSC01695_zps36a7f6b2.jpg

We still have to mill the slot out again so the adjustment travel limits will work, then hope to shoot it a bit. I'll try to get some video and post up with both versions of the stock for comparisons sake.

Note the little Logan 928 lathe and Bridgeport Discovery 308 CNC mill that we made the parts with.

Last edited:

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Just got back from the farm and the stock works wonderfully.

We were shooting Winchester 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz #6 shells and were getting @3/4" of compression. For comparison I had my 9mm Hi Point 995 carbine and the felt recoil was about the same. The 12ga was a lot louder but felt smooth and steady. We didn't get any more muzzle rise vs. original either. I tried to do a video of shooting with the original ATI setup but since I had to trim .060" off the locking pin it slipped on the first round.

We put 25 rounds through the gun each and felt a lot better than after 5 rounds before.

I have a couple short videos I need to piece together and post up later this evening.

dcyberjake

Oct 17, 2013
    DUDE. This is awesome. I have been searching the internet for a drop in upgrade for this stock, I wish they sold these!

Do you have any interest in making one of these on special order?

Shoot me an e-mail...

dcyberjake

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom