• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Three points above got my attention:

• Widener's M24's are Yugo 24/47's. I have a couple of them I got from other sources a few years ago. In unissued re-arsenaled condition they are fun mausers and fairly accurate. If what Widener's has are in re-arsenaled condition, for < $200, not a bad C&R buy IMHO.
    • Turks. Don't discount them. I've restored several I've acquired for ~ $100 each. They won't give you 2" groups at 100 yds, but they're simple mausers to work on. They're mechanics are basically the same as K98's. They (like the Yugo 24/47's) are fun shoothers with:
    • Surplus ammo. No matter what you hear, almost all 8x57 surplus ammo is corrosive. Cleaning up after firing surplus ammo is simple - especially with a mauser platform rifle. The surplus I've bought cheap goes bang as well as any factory rounds or hand loads I have. I put my 8x57 reloading efforts on hold because I can still find surplus ammo to shoot for much less than my cost to reload the round.
    Bottom line? An inexpensive Yugo 24/47 is a good 'entry level' mauser if you aren't yet into mausers. It isn't a German K98, but it'll put you on a path to want a K98 just like restoring cheap Turks to shooting condition will.

Ah, the dreaded C&R addiction...:innocent0

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    My jab about Turk's was because the metallurgical properties suck compared to most of the European Mausers, not that it matters for the most part

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    My jab about Turk's was because the metallurgical properties suck compared to most of the European Mausers, not that it matters for the most part

a lot of turks are actually reworked gew 98 and czech 98/22, really the only ones that are poor in quality as far as metallurgy is concerned are the reworked 93's and the fact that they were still being used with modern 8mm shows it wasnt htat bad.

the turk made rifles certainly dont compare in quality to the german and czech ones,but even among turk rifles they vary quite a bit in quality.

How is the bore and was the stock beat up? Also did you opt for a hand pick?

dont remember if i went with handpick, the stock was excellent, it has a few small dents and dings, but otherwise looks unissued, i think whatever wear it has was from storage and handling, the handguard has a slightly different (little bit more glossy) finish to the rest of the stock, so i think its not original to the rifle, the bluing is almost 100%, the bore was dirty, but cleaned up nice, not shiny, but no pitting, deep grooves and strong sharp lands.

eric_2902

Retired Army
    Jan 13, 2010
    Conowingo
    My M24 is ugly but one hell of a shooter. I got mine for like $120 few years back at the York gun show...but $169 aint bad for a mauser. I would go for it if I did not already have one

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom