• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    If they are not listed MSP may not accept the prints. They must be an accepted vendor.

If in question, I'd call them first.

Reason I ask is, two local PD's near me are doing LiveScan now (vs regular inks). I can't see them declining prints done at there, but am not willing to chance it either....

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    To everyones defense over this 72 hour rule of fingerprints....

This is what it reads on the MSP handgun permit page that can be found here
    http://www.mdsp.org/Organization/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision/HandgunPermit.aspx

YOUR APPLICATION MUST BE ACCEPTED BY THE MARYLAND STATE POLICE WITHIN 30 DAYS OF YOUR FINGERPRINTS BEING OBTAINED BY WAY OF A LIVESCAN OR SIMILAR APPROVED ELECTRONIC FINGERPRINT COLLECTION SYSTEM. FINGERPRINTS REMAIN USABLE FOR 30 DAYS AFTER COLLECTION.

As for the 72 hour rule it comes from here
    http://www.mdsp.org/Portals/0/Users/055/55/55/2012 Licensing Division Fingerprint Rules.A.pdf
    and reads
    EFFECTIVE MARCH 1, 2012, ALL FINGERPRINTS MUST BE SUBMITTED ELECTRONICALLY VIA AN APPROVED SITE OR VENDOR. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION PLEASE USE THE BELOW LINK TO REVIEW THE NEW POLICIES AND PROCEDURES PRESENTED BY THE MARYLAND DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY AND CORRECTIONAL SERVICES AS WELL AS TO LOCATE THE SITES AVAILABLE FOR ELECTRONIC FINGERPRINTING:
    http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/publics...gerprint.shtml
    APPLICATIONS MUST BE POSTMARKED AS SENT TO THE LICENSING DIVISION OR STAMPED AS DELIVERED TO THE LICENSING DIVISION WITHIN 72 HOURS OF FINGERPRINTS BEING ELECTRONICALLY SUBMITTED. IF YOUR APPLICATION IS NOT SUBMITTED WITHIN 72 HOURS IT MAY BE RETURNED TO THE APPLICANT. This is important as the value of fingerprints submitted decreases over time and become unusable after 30 calendar days.

I can completely understand the confusion and until the MSP put this info on there permit page I don't see how the can not accept apps that don't comply.

Last edited:

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Has anyone submitted a cover letter with their application outlining what their envelope contains? I was wondering what everyones thoughts were on doing this.

Mr H

Banana'd
    When I went to MD Livescan, the gentleman who ran the operation said that he had been in the permit business for years (for those with G&S obviously) and had never had a problem with the 2x2 photos.

I'd also like to point out that there was a line when I got there, and he said he had been busy all week. Very busy. B^)

Just got back from the Glen Burnie location, and was in and out in under 10 minutes. Even saw a fellow MDS on his way out.

What surprised me was that, with all the positive perk here about them, he was truly surprised to hear about it when I passed along the praise.

Now to finish my copies, package and send.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    MSP has a new application available which shows 2x2 photos are acceptable (courtesy of a post made by Threeband in the Woollard decision thread).

The new application, which does not contain either a date code of a document version number, also requests Cell Phone and Email contact fields for submitted references.

Last edited:

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    MSP has a new application available which shows 2x2 photos are acceptable (courtesy of a post made by Threeband in the Woollard decision thread).

The new application, which does not contain either a date code of a document version number, also requests Cell Phone and Email contact fields for submitted references.

I can't imagine them NOT accepting the one that is clearly linked on the MSP site (Licensing division link)

Any other differences in these apps?

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    While I have not gone line-by-line through it (in a class this week), the biggest differences that I noted were:
    • 2'x2" photos on a light background are acceptable
    • Space is provided for four references (only three are required)
    • Cell phone and email address fields have been added to the references
    I was just curious when Threeband posted in the other thread and looked at it. As you and others have mentioned, if one goes to the MSP website and navigate to the application, it still presents the older application.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IMO MSP has no legit reason for anemail or cell phone number.

They have my legal residence and my references address and home number.

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA

Your link is not a new application...it's still the same one dated 03/08

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Had a LIVESCAN done today at Hagerstown. Several of my fingers were rejected for prints by the device, even after the woman tried 6 times on each one. After 6 times, she didn't go any further and sent the rejected prints to FBI.
    I did my very best as did the employee, but my application could be rejected because of this. After all I've put into this, it gives me a sinking feeling.
    One thing for sure, I can't change the fingerprints on my hand. I've even had ink prints rejected in the past. But, it's not my fault.
    The woman said she's been doing fingerprints for 2 years,

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    Had a LIVESCAN done today at Hagerstown. Several of my fingers were rejected for prints by the device, even after the woman tried 6 times on each one. After 6 times, she didn't go any further and sent the rejected prints to FBI.
    I did my very best as did the employee, but my application could be rejected because of this. After all I've put into this, it gives me a sinking feeling.
    One thing for sure, I can't change the fingerprints on my hand. I've even had ink prints rejected in the past. But, it's not my fault.
    The woman said she's been doing fingerprints for 2 years,

Your prints are your prints..... How could it reject them as they are what they are.
    Does that mean if you commit a crime and leave fingerprints that they will be rejected by the CSI when they lift them? :)

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    It rejects them because to the machine, they are "unreadable"

The woman really tried her best to get them as a "Pass," but to no avail on some of them. They do one finger at a time and it gets either a "pass" or "rejected." She tried using "Corn Hushers" lotion to help situation. Device doesn't like dry hands/fingers.
    Anyway, I saw "rejected" more times than I wanted.
    I can see FBI saying they can't use these. What am I supposed to do about it? Not to mention the $57.00 cost.

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA
    The woman really tried her best to get them as a "Pass," but to no avail on some of them. They do one finger at a time and it gets either a "pass" or "rejected." She tried using "Corn Hushers" lotion to help situation. Device doesn't like dry hands/fingers.
    Anyway, I saw "rejected" more times than I wanted.
    I can see FBI saying they can't use these. What am I supposed to do about it? Not to mention the $57.00 cost.

I remember reading for another State's process, they will try twice to get legible prints. If they just can't get them they will continue without. They can't deny based on prints they can't read. MD, on the other hand....who knows.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Contact MSP?

I was told that the FBI can see the rejected fingerprints that she did.
    MSP doesn't have my app yet. Sent it today. I'm thinking that MSP has their hands full right now and aren't going to worry about somebody's fingerprints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom