• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Now bear in mind, some dealers don't have that knowledge and don't make much profit on the ILS. With the big box stores it is policy to sell an ILS with a post 2002 handgun in this state, a CYA effort which I don't blame them for in their practice.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Now bear in mind, some dealers don't have that knowledge and don't make much profit on the ILS. With the big box stores it is policy to sell an ILS with a post 2002 handgun in this state, a CYA effort which I don't blame them for in their practice.

I blame them lol, their already overpriced firearms and then tacking on the ils, to hell with bass pro lol

brownbear42

Dec 1, 2010
    easternshore
    i just purchased a s&w 5906 from budsgunshop and had it shipped to "Mid county gun shop" (mike little)... first of all he said he would call me when it came it, i tracked it online and it was there last monday and never heard from him so i called tuesday. tuesday i drove to his shop to start the transfer. Bc thanksgiving was thurs it didnt count so wed (today) i should have been able to pick it up. today he tells me sunday doesnt count in the 7 day wait and he wouldnt be in his shop till 8pm thur night... wtf?? im fed up with all these folks saying "its ok for the ffl to tack on an extra day or 2 to cover their ass"... news flash people! its 7 days from the time u fill out the application (excluding holidays). which means if u fill out the paper work on monday, u get the gun next monday after that time. IF SOMEONE PURCHASES A FIREARM AND WAITS THE APPROPRIATE TIME AND HAVE NOT RECEIVED A "DISAPPROVED" LETTER, YOU ARE ILLEGALLY HOLDING THEIR PERSONAL PROPERTY. why the **** do FFLs think they have the authority to extend and create their own laws???

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    My understanding is that the dealer can release the gun after the 7 days, but unless they know you, it's not going to happen. If the MSP is behind and it's disapproved, the FFL can be in hot water. One FFL posted somewhere in this thread about this topic. The FFL isn't tacking on days. Supposedly it's 7 business days for approval which won't include weekends or holidays. I just purchased a Sig 226 from Gun Connection on Saturday. I was told I could stop in next Monday to pick it up. Since weekends don't count, I couldn't pick it up on Saturday. I've also heard that they can not transfer a handgun on a Sunday. I wouldn't be happy that they didn't call you when the gun came in, but they're following the letter of the law which is until they receive the "not disapproved" from the MSP, they won't transfer.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    My understanding is that the dealer can release the gun after the 7 days, but unless they know you, it's not going to happen. If the MSP is behind and it's disapproved, the FFL can be in hot water. One FFL posted somewhere in this thread about this topic. The FFL isn't tacking on days. Supposedly it's 7 business days for approval which won't include weekends or holidays. I just purchased a Sig 226 from Gun Connection on Saturday. I was told I could stop in next Monday to pick it up. Since weekends don't count, I couldn't pick it up on Saturday. I've also heard that they can not transfer a handgun on a Sunday. I wouldn't be happy that they didn't call you when the gun came in, but they're following the letter of the law which is until they receive the "not disapproved" from the MSP, they won't transfer.

Saturday and Sunday do count in the seven day time period HOWEVER I believe MSP starts the clock the next day when the forms are faxed in. Yes, that basically makes it an 8 day wait. A dealer can't transfer on Sunday, which to me violates the separation of church and state.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    why do saturdays and sundays not count? and if they are going to just say 2 days do not count then why not just make it a 9 day waiting period? I have always picked up my guns on the same day of the following week after I did my paperwork and I expect my paperwork to be faxed in right there on the spot. If I buy a gun on Thursday then paperwork will be faxed that day and I will be in the following Thursday to pick it up, that is 7 days and that is what is required. Please argue this one all you want but if I am wrong than I have bought about 6 guns illegally in MD and I guess the MSP should be after me, either that or you are wrong. I havent had any visits from the MSP BTW.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    where do people get this 8 and 9 day wait crap from? why do you make it more complicated? is it not clearly written on the back of the forms you fill out?

letshunt

Jun 14, 2010
    purchase approval wait

How long is the current wait for the MSP to approve a regulated firearm purchase?

bobnieder

S&W Fan
    May 1, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    2 year old thread rises from the dead!

Really, I get it that nobody who buys guns likes Maryland's waiting period. None of us do. But it is what it is -- until it is changed through legislation. As long as the FFL does their part in getting it filed in a timely manner and lets you know when it is back, they've done their job. And, especially in these highly sensitized times, I think tne FFL is being reasonably prudent in waiting to release the gun until the paper is in their hands.

I just filled out paper for a Shield last night -- would I have been happy to take it home last night? -- sure! But the truth is, with the holidays and the unprecedented number of regulated guns being purchased in Maryland (and across the nation), the 7 day wait could be 10 or 14 (probably less than 14), and however long it takes, I will be thankful to bring it home.

Why spend the wait time picking nits about whether or not the FFL could have legally released it a day or two sooner -- or not. Take the time to download the manual, or, if you have already done that, re-read it again, or shop for holsters or ammo (Good luck!) or anything else productive rather than play Phoenix with threads that have had their allotted time and have expired naturally.

bobnieder

S&W Fan
    May 1, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    That's good to hear -- I will definitely check with Bob at Gunrunners the end of this week and hope for the best. I guess I have been trying to manage my expectations so a delay won't be depressing. I can believe the MSP are swamped, and the holidays in the middle could also affect the wait.

Rockerspsl

Apr 10, 2011
    Glen Burnie, MD
    I've waited about two weeks now and I can pick mine up when 2A opens on Thursday, but the rush, Christmas, and New Years are all playing into that too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom