• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    A friend of mine brought over a P08 pistol and asked me to take a look at it for him. Since it's not mine, I don't want to post any pictures. I need to find out more information about this hodge podge of a pistol. It's a 1937 and not many parts have matching numbers. Since I've never collected these things, I'm a rookie. I'd like to continue this via email with anyone who can help with identifying the pistol and it's parts.

I can send pictures to help ID the pistol, I just don't want to post pictures here because it's not mine.

Thanks!

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I'm hardly an expert but I can tell you that the non-matching numbers dings the value considerably. Import marks and defaced proofs will also hurt value.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Still worth the effort to research. For instance, with import marks and mismatched parts could easily be a East German VOPO Luger which still has value for many Luger collectors. Could also be a RC Luger. Photos would be a big help!

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I'm looking at this pistol and there's not 2 parts that have the same serial numbers. The bolt does not say S/42, it has a very small 13 on the top of the bolt. This thing looks like a conglomeration of parts. According to the owner, he believes his father brought it back from WWII. There are no Nazi proofs, but since it was made in 1937, I don't believe it should. Here's a list of the numbers on the pistol.

Top of receiver in front of the bolt 1937
    Side of the Receiver 7989
    Plate on side of receiver 63
    Bolt (looks brand new) small 13
    Front of pistol above trigger strap 6852
    Wooden Grips
    Wooden endcap for mag

Any help?

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    A non-matching gun can be awesome, assuming it's still safe. If it's too nice I'd be afraid of ruining the value by shooting it once in awhile.

ThePhantomPatriot

Politically Incorrect
    I'm looking at this pistol and there's not 2 parts that have the same serial numbers. The bolt does not say S/42, it has a very small 13 on the top of the bolt. This thing looks like a conglomeration of parts. According to the owner, he believes his father brought it back from WWII. There are no Nazi proofs, but since it was made in 1937, I don't believe it should. Here's a list of the numbers on the pistol.

Wooden Grips
    Wooden endcap for mag

Any help?

I know after WWI the germans pieced together old broken lugers to build complete guns. I think it had something to do w/ the Treaty of Versailles, not being able to manufacture guns larger than 7mm, or at least that's what I was told. I've seen a WWI luger with Kaiser Imperial Eagle stamps that were stippled out and restamped w/ Nazi Eagle marks. All matching serials. If it was a WWII bring back I'd imagine it would have Nazi stamps. Even the walthers which replaced lugers had Nazi stamps on them.

Maybe join that luger forum mentioned in a previous comment. The only 1937 Lugers I found on google had the S-42 Stamp you said is missing, but that part is interchangable. https://www.gunvaluesboard.com/1937-s-42-luger-value-378122.html

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Do non-matching numbers decrease value or does all matching numbers increase value?. To be honest I have only seen matching numbers Lugers with very high asking prices compared to shooters.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Thanks guys. Since it's not mine, I thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone had any info on the oddity of the pistol. I've already told the owner that he needs to have a qualified gunsmith okay the pistol before shooting it.

It's going back to the owner this weekend.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member

Wooden Grips
    Wooden endcap for mag

Any help?

This sounds like a complete mutt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics