Gunsmith John Carduner (Please - Actual Customer Feedback Only)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 28, 2013
    I'd hafta agree.

I picked my my 7" Longslide from him yesterday that he had to do quite a bit o' work to, includin' a new barrel 'cuz some retard overthroated the old one.

He had to get one for a carbine, cut it down, and recrown it.

Thanks agin' John. :thumbsup:

(Reposted here per John's request)

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    I recently took my Colt Commander to John Carduner to get the trigger repaired and, after some reflection, a few minor tweaks. The work he does is excellent. John has an extensive collect of 1911-specific tools and more knowledge on this platform than anyone I’ve ever met. I brought my gun in and showed him the problem, but it didn’t stop there. John disassembled my Commander, assessed it, and gave an in-depth analysis of the gun and its inner workings, clear all the way down to the process of forging individual components. John knows his stuff and freely shares his knowledge with professionalism, and patience. He’s also very responsive to both email and phone calls and, for the sorts of repairs and tweaks I wanted, carried them out very quickly. I had my gun back in hand in less than a week.

If you bring a 1911 to John Carduner, you’re not just going to get high quality gunsmithing work and equally excellent customer service – you’re going to get an education.

Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    I shoot in a bullseye league with John. He's a pretty good shot. I shoot a Kimber Custom Target 2 in .45 ACP and my rear sight needed replacement. John Carduner did a fantastic job at a fair price rather quickly. He's also one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Highly recommended.

tonerman

Jan 2, 2016
    Rumsey Island, MD
    John worked on my Colt 1911 in March of this year to eliminate the random jamming. He performed machining of the slide, and other modifications. Also changed the front sights. I finally was able to test it out over the last month. 500 rounds without even a hiccup. Thanks John, great work.

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    John worked on a second-hand Springfield TRP for me. I had a few failures to extract and one failure to feed so I wanted expert eyes and hands to go over the pistol and do a reliability job on it.

What a great experience I had from the get go. I called and left a message, and I got return call almost immediately. We talked a bit about what was going on and arranged for a time to meet.

The meeting was an education in itself. You can tell John has a long history with the platform and was passionate about his work. We talked for about 30 minutes, discussing options and what we should do. I never felt pressured about anything. When I handed over the pistol to him, I felt confident the TRP will be perfect.

He was done a week later, and boy was I surprised. It was even better then I expected. The gun was detailed cleaned it looks like. The feed ramp was mirror-like and the barrel throating was equally shiny. We went over somethings he did and some possible options going forward, but again, I never felted pressured.

The very next night, I took it to the range. The gun ran flawlessly.

I'd go back to him in an instant. Highly recommended!

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    More Magic From John

Once again John has made a good pistol, great. :D

This time it was a new Springfield TRP 1911 .45 with fewer than 100 rounds through it. No problems out of the box, but from past experience (John has worked his magic on three of my other Springers) I knew it could be better. Yep. :D
    I took it to AGC Monday morning and shot the TRP after getting it back from John, and WOW! Smooth and accurate are understatements.

Due to my carelessness in packing the car, I omitted some critical components of the target frame, so since I was already there I opted instead to just shoot at the dirt berm at 100 yards off a rest (at least I remembered to pack the rest). I was able to get approx. 8” groups (or maybe a little smaller), although it was hard to really get a good measurement. Still, it was very consistent. The trigger is terrific, the gun runs smoothly and very predictably, and there were no hiccups of any kind. I’m very happy with the result so far.

A not-so-brief list of items that John did:

• Install a new trigger (flat faced)
    • Adjust the finger safety spring
    • Install a slightly longer mag release button (huge improvement)
    • Reshape the original hammer's geometry and polish
    • Install match grade sear with a lighter trigger pull weight
    • Polish feed ramp
    • Lap bore and hone the chamber
    • And a host of other little nuances that all added up to a very smooth operating pistol.
    Bearing in mind that my measurements are best guesses since I was judging by a rock on the 100 yard berm on the Barnes Range, the bullets consistently impacted the berm about 8” low (to be expected at that distance) and about 12” to the right of my POA. This sight misalignment is from the factory, and our next upgrade will be for some adjustable sights. Although I don’t usually shoot at that distance, being off that much bothers me, so I want to upgrade the sights. That'll be the next project.

But for now, I've got a great gun with a terrific trigger that runs smooth as glass. Just like all the others that john has tuned for me. Many thanks to a great pistol smith and a great guy. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    John Carduner recently worked on my PARA 9mm 1911. John is very knowledgeable with the 1911 platform. I found his demeanor to be very professional. So far, I have 200rnds. down the tube and the pistol is functioning as it should. I would recommend John to my friends!!!

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    TRP Update

Just got back from putting two more boxes of ammo downrange. Since my last post John added an adjustable rear sight for me, and now everything is lined up, as it should have been from the factory.

I wish I were as good a shot as John is, but still, at 25 yards I managed to put some decent groups on paper. The pistol is super smooth, the trigger has no perceptible creep, and very minimal take up and over travel, and it's just a great gun now.

Many thanks to John for once again making a good gun, great. :thumbsup:

jumpinjonne

Feb 4, 2016
    3 Mile Island PA
    John has done it again....JUST OUTSTANDING WORK.
    RIA 10mm Commander has been my CC choice for quite sometime.....had some rough edges......after what John was able to do for my RIA 9mm 2011...I could not wait to see what kind of miracles he could do with the 10mm....John did not disappoint.

Flat trigger @3lbs
    Cammer hammer
    Competition thumb safety
    Extra large mag release
    Radius mainspring housing (bobtail)

+ I turned him loose on the internals...."as needed"

The thumb safety felt great…..while large…and to some intrusive…its extremely functional and definitive …no fumbling…no guessing..no hoping.
    Exactly what I was hoping for….same with the mag release…took me a few exercises…but it too is extremely functional…the tension is perfect, to avoid accidentals…..and really spits the mag
    While seeming bulbous or unconventional for some… these enhancement I feel, build a stronger foundation for me, and allow me to process more information quicker..and focus on what my trigger finger is doing rather than my thumb(s).
    I know most go the opposite direction and want to slim things down for CC…but I equate it to cutting your brake pedal in half so you can get in your car quicker. To each his own.

I don’t believe I could be more pleased with the work.
    John has always been generous with his opinions and recommendations ....when asked.....
    His interpretation of what my needs were....were perfect...again.

For the level of work you receive....his prices are more than fair. RIA 1911 are a fine value...John took a mediocre platform and returned it to me, a entry level custom.....made just for me.....

jumpinjonne

Feb 4, 2016
    3 Mile Island PA
    Johns work on RIA 9mm

Smooth is an understatement...flawless

Attachments

• IMAG3565.jpg
      IMAG3565.jpg
      79.6 KB · Views: 1,298

jumpinjonne

Feb 4, 2016
    3 Mile Island PA
    RIA 10mm

I couldnt be more pleased with Johns work.

There is a part of me that wants to buy another 1911 just to see what more he can do

Attachments

• IMAG3567.jpg
      IMAG3567.jpg
      85 KB · Views: 1,401
    • IMAG3568.jpg
      IMAG3568.jpg
      83.5 KB · Views: 1,264

Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Took my RIA 1911 to John because I was having some chambering issues on follow up shots. At our sit down, I got quite an education and we decided on the reliability package plus a trigger job. A couple repairs and replacement parts and John's magic touches later and It's like a different gun.

Put 3 mags through it tonight and am very happy with the results. Picked up a nice set of Cocobolo grips for it too.

craftsman_69

MDS Supporter
    Jul 26, 2015
    AA
    Out of panic I contacted John after totally failing at reassembly of my Kimber Ultra. I was actually on a time crunch to compound my dilemma. John was quick and met me the next day and had it back together and in my hands the day after that. All is well!

jlajr

Jul 25, 2017
    Gave John my Ruger 1911 Commander for some tuning and reliability work. Came back a Tack-driver. Very pleased with the fit and function. I always told my wife that someday I was going to buy a Wilson Combat 1911, so be prepared. Don't want one now, not with the way my plain-jane Ruger is shooting. Thanks John. I see work on my Colt Govt in the future.

acpershall

Mar 25, 2013
    Maryland
    I have a Sig TME 1911 in 45acp that I brought to John to have a new EGW wide ambi thumb safety installed and a trigger job. I met with John up at Freestate Gun Range, and we sat down in a side room and he field-stripped and checked out everything on my gun, including fit, function, quality, lubrication tips, and imparted all kinds of info about 1911 guns in general. We talked for over an hour (quite an education for me), and I ended up also having a new flat-faced Caspian Trik trigger installed as well after feeling what one felt like on a gun that John brought with him. John had everything done in 10 days and I met him up at Freestate yesterday to pick up the gun. Once again John spent about 15-20 minutes explaining all his work, and then we sighted-in the gun at the range (it was shooting a bit low and left so the rear sight needed a slight adjustment). The gun performed flawlessly. The thumb safety felt great and the trigger was awesome - about 3 1/2 lb smooth trigger pull, with a nice short pre-travel and reset. It felt great to shoot and am planning on using it at a USPSA match this coming weekend. All the work John did was top-notch. I highly recommend him for any 1911 work you might have, or any other handgun for that matter. He was a nice, soft-spoken, absolute pleasure to talk to, and incredibly knowledgeable on the 1911 internals.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Another outstanding experience

I've known John and have been using his services for several years now, and he has performed his magic on all of my pistols. No matter what the job is, the pistols come back better than new... smoother, more dependable, better triggers, etc. John has the ability to take pretty much any handgun and make it perform like one much more expensive.

This last experience wasn't an internal operation, but a replacement of the factory tritium sights on an XD/m. Over the years the sights had faded, mostly through my own carelessness with solvents and oils. John helped me choose replacements that were bigger and brighter, and now the only excuse I'll have for not hitting the bullseye is my own lack of skill... can't blame it on the sights anymore. Maybe that's a double edged sword. :rolleyes:

Thanks, John, for quality, dependable work!

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    And another one

Due to my aging eyes, fading OEM sights, plus me being a gadget freak, I asked John to upgrade the sights to something a little more fun (useful). Working with another Springfield, this one an XD/m 9mm Competition model, there wasn't enough thickness in the top of the slide to allow for drilling and tapping, so it had to be sent out for welding and machining. :eek:

It might have made more sense to start fresh with a pistol already equipped with an optic, but I really love this one, and over the years John had worked his magic on it, including the installation of quite a few upgraded parts from Powder River Precision.

After a short time (that felt like forever) I got the email from John to let me know it was ready. We got together at the usual place, and I got to see it with its new sight. The picture below sucks, but the gun doesn't. ;)

Due to a combination of lots of events conspiring to keep me away from the range, I didn't get a chance to really shoot it until yesterday, and the first words out of my mouth (which I hope were drowned out by the other shooters) were ___ Damn! Everything I had hoped for, and even better.

So now I have another great shooting' iron, smooth as silk, great sight, and the comforting knowledge that it's as good as it can possibly get, for a lot less than buying a true high end pistol. Thanks again, John!

Attachments

• IMG_0047.jpg
      IMG_0047.jpg
      44.8 KB · Views: 652

bobcat

Apr 2, 2018
    rem 1911

John Carduner worked on my rem 1911 and did a great job. John installed a ambi safety, WC flat trigger, front night sight and a few other things. I am very satisfied with his work and will use him again.

Last edited by a moderator:

DDD

Sep 24, 2018
    WWII 1911 Front Sight Replacement

Hello Everyone.

I just wanted to let you all know that I am extremely pleased with the work that John performed on my WWII 1911. My front sight needed replacement and John made it look original and I am extremely happy with his work. I have a few other pieces that I would like to have him work on also. John is great to talk to, I learned a good deal just chatting with him. He is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to firearms. I highly recommend him.

-------------DDD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom