• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    This has been pretty much how things have rolled in the two circumstances that I've had professional interactions with an officer while carrying.

In both instances, the officers made no big deal out of it and appreciated the visibility of my hands and for my letting them know.

Let's not get hung up on the part where he says that the officer may elect to control the firearm, because in the next instant he does say that in most cases he would not do so.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Unfortunately here in the People's Republic of Maryland, it's more likely people would be exercising their right to keep and bear arms WITHOUT official permission from the state and in that case it would probably be best to not get pulled over in the first place.
    It's always helpful to know your rights and never allow a search of your vehicle(4th amendment).
    The 5th amendment can of course be very helpful as well.
    Just know that for their safety, officers may choose to search the driver and passengers but can only search inside the vehicle with permission from the driver/vehicle's owner or probable cause(like if they see or smell something illegal).

Eddie Van

Dude
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hollywood Star Lanes
    If Mr. Ayoob pulled ME over, I'd do precisely what he said!

In another life (long ago) the one time this happened to me, it went pretty much the way he explained (and this incident was in CA...)

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    If your legally carrying I'm not going to "control your firearm". With that being said the video was informative and a good interaction. Personally I'd like the occupant to state hey Jones I'm a CC permit holder and I'm armed it's on my right hip rather than hand me he CCW permit cuz then I gotta ask questions. Usually ccwers are good people and I'd rather not have to pry.

I will say though that just handing the permit is a good idea so the word gun doesn't make any less gun friendly Leo jumpy.

Best quote in the whole video "use common sense" something a lot of people seem to be lacking.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I've been thinking about this subject lately as I hope to get a MD permit soon. Utah is in process now. The times I've been pulled over in the past have been routine and I've never been asked to step out of my vehicle. I always have my license & registration in hand when the officer walks up mainly to avoid having to waste more time digging through my vehicle. Also if I were pulling someone over I'd rather see their hands the whole time rather than having them reach for pockets or glove box etc.

My thinking, today at least, is if my handgun is legal and concealed what is the point of mentioning it? I would certainly bring it up if asked to step out but don't see any point in complicating a routine stop if it doesn't come up.
    If volunteering that you have a CCW permit while handing over your license is the better choice that is fine too. I'm just curious why.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have been pulled over twice while carrying in MD in cooler months. I had no problems either time. When I carry in the cooler months, I carry a Glock 23 OWB under a light jacket. I usually take my jacket off when I get in the car, so there will be no missing it if I get out of the car. When I get pulled over, I turn off the car, put the keys on the dashboard. I get my license and registration out before the officer gets to the car, and have my hands on the wheel. I handed the officer my license, registration, and permit. I said "officer, I would like you to know that there is a firearm on my person, which I am legally permitted to carry. It is on my right hip at 3 O'Clock. How would you like me to proceed?" Neither officer batted an eyelash. Both said something to the effect of "just don't touch it and we'll be fine. I think it is the courteous thing to do. If the officer asks me to get out of the car for any reason, there is no surprise for him. I want to deal with a calm officer. I was surprised how well it went here in the People's Republic.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    IMHO: I would not get the license and registration out while the LEO is walking up to the car. That COULD be seen as trying to hide or gain access to something that the LEO would not be happy about.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I have been pulled over twice while carrying in MD in cooler months. I had no problems either time. When I carry in the cooler months, I carry a Glock 23 OWB under a light jacket. I usually take my jacket off when I get in the car, so there will be no missing it if I get out of the car. When I get pulled over, I turn off the car, put the keys on the dashboard. I get my license and registration out before the officer gets to the car, and have my hands on the wheel. I handed the officer my license, registration, and permit. I said "officer, I would like you to know that there is a firearm on my person, which I am legally permitted to carry. It is on my right hip at 3 O'Clock. How would you like me to proceed?" Neither officer batted an eyelash. Both said something to the effect of "just don't touch it and we'll be fine. I think it is the courteous thing to do. If the officer asks me to get out of the car for any reason, there is no surprise for him. I want to deal with a calm officer. I was surprised how well it went here in the People's Republic.

You made the officer aware and by doing so you made him feel safe. He now knows that this guy has a gun but he isn't going to harm me he is just a man exercising his rights. I applaud you for the way you handled that and think more people should respond like you did. I'd be glad to pull you over any day :lol2:

Seriously though it's people like you who are going to make officers in unfriendly gun states be way more comfortable with guns. Minor things like this that happen everyday are just as important as the big victories.

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere

A big :thumbsup: to you! Perfect, and not only thinking about your 2A but also looking out for Officer Safety. :)

300RUM

Custom Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    North East
    I have to say that I am rethinking my stance because of this thread.

My opinion has been, if it's concealed and only one officer is involved(on drivers side,because IWB right side), unless I an directed to step out of the vehicle or directly asked I will not offer this information.

But.. because of theses posts and
    "mpdc4511"'s statement "Seriously though it's people like you who are going to make officers in unfriendly gun states be way more comfortable with guns. Minor things like this that happen everyday are just as important as the big victories."

I think I'm changing my mind. Thanks for that, I've never looked at it like this:thumbsup:

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    IMHO: I would not get the license and registration out while the LEO is walking up to the car. That COULD be seen as trying to hide or gain access to something that the LEO would not be happy about.

This.

Furtive movements make people nervous. Wait until the officer walks up to the car and identifies himself. Tell him you have a permit and are carrying and ask him how he would like to proceed. Simple, safe and courteous.....for everyone involved.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

I don't keep a wallet in my back pocket. My license, registration and carry permit are in my sun visor when I am driving. I jut flip it down and pull them out.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I believe the last line of the video, "It's actually simple, if you use common sense." I always wait until the LEO is at my vehicle before I get my license and registration. Once I stop the vehicle I sit with my hands on the wheel until approached. I keep my license, mec card, and carry permit in one slot in my wallet. They are all pulled out and presented at the same time.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Sorry. MEC card is a medical examiners certificate. You are required to carry one of these if you have a CDL. Commercial drivers license, if you don't already know.

Eddie Van

Dude
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hollywood Star Lanes
    I believe the last line of the video, "It's actually simple, if you use common sense." I always wait until the LEO is at my vehicle before I get my license and registration. Once I stop the vehicle I sit with my hands on the wheel until approached. I keep my license, mec card, and carry permit in one slot in my wallet. They are all pulled out and presented at the same time.

This sounds reasonable. I had a LEO friend tell me he is more comfortable when traffic "stop-ees":

a. when at night (in addition to Moose's actions above) turn on dome light
    b. when practicable, roll down windows (for better view into vehicle) especially with tinted windows
    c. Slightly (and safely) cant my vehicle for safer approach
    d. ask if this is a safe/good spot for the LEO

For you LEO's here - Any general merit to this or is this just one guy's preferences

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Adding a little humor ... NSFW

Chris Rock would have probably had a different take ... :lol2:

You probably won't get your ass kicked if you just use common sense.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    You made the officer aware and by doing so you made him feel safe. He now knows that this guy has a gun but he isn't going to harm me he is just a man exercising his rights. I applaud you for the way you handled that and think more people should respond like you did. I'd be glad to pull you over every day :lol2:

Seriously though it's people like you who are going to make officers in unfriendly gun states be way more comfortable with guns. Minor things like this that happen everyday are just as important as the big victories.

FIFY.:innocent0

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Roll down your window (all the way), and your rear driver's side window too. This is especially appreciated on cars with tinted windows.

At night, do the above, but turn the interior light on and keep your hands on the wheel.

Of course, you don't have to do this, and can choose to shout, "Why the $%^ did you pull me over!? Why don't you go catch the real criminals!"

But the outcome may be very different. You takes your chances, you pays your money (or maybe not)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom