• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Which one of these to buy for a collector and/or shooter? Romanian TTC or Yugo M57? Does collector vs shooter change the answer at all? Both are cheap for now.

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    M57 magazines are expensive and hard to find compared to TTC magazines. It's not worth it for the extra +1 capacity.

Jul 1, 2012
    Honestly neither one is a "collector" gun.
    Maybe if you found one with no import marks and no added safety it would have some collector value.
    The TTC is "true to the original design", easy to work on, parts are relatively plentiful.
    The M57 has several updates that IMHO make it more of a PITA to maintain and those related unique parts aren't always easy to find.
    My pet peeve is almost always the import markings are horrid billboards regardless of type.
    If you can find one with a small/discrete marking to me that makes it more desirable.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    M57 magazines are expensive and hard to find compared to TTC magazines. It's not worth it for the extra +1 capacity.

Huh? So many out there for $20 a pop for the M57. I’ve literally never had an issue finding them. The new Zasatava. Mags work as well as the old ones. Gunmagwarehouse carries the new ones. DK Firearms carries new and sometimes old ones.

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/zastava-m57-tokarev-7-62x25mm-9-round-factory-magazine.html There you go, $21.99 a piece. I think they also sell them through eBay for about $1 more, but with free shipping.

Tokarev magazines are only surplus to the best of my knowledge. No one is making new ones.

Jul 1, 2012
    TripleK makes aftermarket mags for the TT-30/33/TTC.
    They're $38 though so foolish to buy when the surplus, heavy-duty mags can be found for $15 or so.
    But even the surplus mags can be crap, I've had a couple that literally jammed the gun and had to be creative to get them out.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Heck, get 'em both. They're gonna multiply anyway...

:innocent0

Attachments

• Tok Family Four (02).jpg
      Tok Family Four (02).jpg
      46.2 KB · Views: 333

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I did not realize until I started shopping around that the newer imports had a safety added as an afterthought to appease import restrictions. The one on the M57 is not as awful as the one on the TTC. That puts me off a bit.

I will say this. I can remember when everyone said my Ortgies pistol was terrible compared to Brownings and Colts of the same time period and would never be collectible. The Ortgies will never be as hot as a Colt, Browning or Walther, but they are now much more appealing than they used to be. I think even these bogus safety Toks will become more collectible as all of these firearms are bought up. Just my thought.

Ok - I like the M57 better; probably will pick one up.

Jul 1, 2012
    I did not realize until I started shopping around that the newer imports had a safety added as an afterthought to appease import restrictions. The one on the M57 is not as awful as the one on the TTC. That puts me off a bit.

Not all M57 safeties are created equal :) Mine looks like a high school shop class reject. Based on the detent drilled through the finish, it probably was replaced with a "hand-crafted" one at some point. It's horrible, hard to operate and painful on the old mano. The M57 also has a magazine safety that can be problematic.

Some Toks were fitted with a trigger-based safety like the Glock. Those would be the best to have since they don't booger up the frame.

Attachments

• DSC_9670 - Copy.jpg
      DSC_9670 - Copy.jpg
      67.4 KB · Views: 191

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Look for an M-57 with a Glock style trigger safety. The two in my modest collection have had original triggers installed. New Zastava and surplus magazines all have worked perfectly and the grip is a little longer making it more comfortable to shoot than a TT.

Based on what I have seen, if you go with a TT, the Polish appear to be very nice.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Not all M57 safeties are created equal :) Mine looks like a high school shop class reject. Based on the detent drilled through the finish, it probably was replaced with a "hand-crafted" one at some point. It's horrible, hard to operate and painful on the old mano. The M57 also has a magazine safety that can be problematic.

Some Toks were fitted with a trigger-based safety like the Glock. Those would be the best to have since they don't booger up the frame.

Classic claims the frame safety on their Tok is better because these were installed by "the factory" in Romania and not by the importer. Wonder if that's true or just marketing talk?

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Calicojack, I sent you a PM.
    Me, I'm like somd_mustangs and prefer to stick to an original. But these are not cheap or plentiful. Watched three Chinese bring backs sell at auctions yesterday and prices went from $1600 (papered rig with 4 spare mags, nice example) to $700 each. If I was on a 03 budget then I'd probably search out the best Radom Polish WZ-48 I could find. I've seen some early imports that didn't have the huge billboard marks. Would kill for an original WZ48 with the FB marked grips. Very cool.
    At the top are some photos from the SKS Files of a WZ48 that someone got at auction 3 yrs ago with the less obtrusive CIA import marks. The two at the bottom are photos of an original and the grips.

Attachments

• left full.jpg
      left full.jpg
      123.9 KB · Views: 165
    • right full.jpg
      right full.jpg
      114 KB · Views: 167
    • hqdefault.jpg
      hqdefault.jpg
      14.9 KB · Views: 159
    • PolM48Pre50grips.jpg
      PolM48Pre50grips.jpg
      34.2 KB · Views: 160

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Man that is fugly. My M57 has a rear safety sort of like that. Except whomever did it, did a great job on it. Blends in and doesn’t look like an add on at all. Operates nicely and smoothly. Finish matches the gun. Import marks aren’t overly obtrusive.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I've seen photos of WZ48s where the owners removed the trigger safety but were left with the pin hole in the frame. Me, I'd be tempted to do the same but find a solid pin to install and fill that hole.

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    Huh? So many out there for $20 a pop for the M57. I’ve literally never had an issue finding them. The new Zasatava. Mags work as well as the old ones. Gunmagwarehouse carries the new ones. DK Firearms carries new and sometimes old ones.

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/zastava-m57-tokarev-7-62x25mm-9-round-factory-magazine.html There you go, $21.99 a piece. I think they also sell them through eBay for about $1 more, but with free shipping.

Tokarev magazines are only surplus to the best of my knowledge. No one is making new ones.

Your link is OOS. DK has new ones for $25 but in my experience they are hit or miss for quality; i bought 2 and the catch was cut at the wrong spot on one.

It seems that something shifted it the past year, surplus Tokarev magazines used to be everywhere, and new production magazines from Taiwan were $10 and readily available. I'm guessing the panic dried up the surplus.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Your link is OOS. DK has new ones for $25 but in my experience they are hit or miss for quality; i bought 2 and the catch was cut at the wrong spot on one.

It seems that something shifted it the past year, surplus Tokarev magazines used to be everywhere, and new production magazines from Taiwan were $10 and readily available. I'm guessing the panic dried up the surplus.

Hmm, maybe. I’ve got 6 mags for mine. Two surplus and four new. All work flawlessly. All four new ones came in a bag with a Zastava manufacturer paper/cardboard insert in it. One was new from DK (I ordered 1 new and 1 surplus with my M57 when I got it from them, plus the 1 included mag). Three were from gunmag warehouse. I got 1 from them through eBay and two direct from them.

I haven’t checked anything in maybe 18 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom