• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    I am considering getting a double-barrel 20gauge, both for my own enjoyment as well as to have for when my younger sisters come visiting. There is no great hurry, so I am requesting advice for what make/model I should consider in my shopping, best place for shopping, and prices to expect.

The primary use is skeet and trap, with the possibility of hunting. I am quite pleased with the older fixed choke (full/improved modified) browning citori I currently have, and want equal or better handling/quality. It helps that my younger sisters rather liked my 12gauge, but found the weight and recoil to be a bit more than they liked the further we progressed through a session of trap. Thus, the consideration of a 20gauge to make things easier on my sisters.

I got my 12gauge used, and thereby with the fixed chokes, because I was just getting into skeet. I want the 20gauge to have changeable chokes so that it can be configured for skeet, trap, or hunting. Preference is for a wood stock rather than synthetic, mainly for aesthetics, but also since any hunting would be in woods/fields and not in marsh or on the water.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I am considering getting a double-barrel 20gauge, both for my own enjoyment as well as to have for when my younger sisters come visiting. There is no great hurry, so I am requesting advice for what make/model I should consider in my shopping, best place for shopping, and prices to expect.

The primary use is skeet and trap, with the possibility of hunting. I am quite pleased with the older fixed choke (full/improved modified) browning citori I currently have, and want equal or better handling/quality. It helps that my younger sisters rather liked my 12gauge, but found the weight and recoil to be a bit more than they liked the further we progressed through a session of trap. Thus, the consideration of a 20gauge to make things easier on my sisters.

I got my 12gauge used, and thereby with the fixed chokes, because I was just getting into skeet. I want the 20gauge to have changeable chokes so that it can be configured for skeet, trap, or hunting. Preference is for a wood stock rather than synthetic, mainly for aesthetics, but also since any hunting would be in woods/fields and not in marsh or on the water.

What price range are you looking at? How much shooting do you do? I have a 20 gauge Beretta 391 semi-auto "youth" gun that my sisters use. Not saying that is what you should get, but what would work for your sisters fit wise might not work for you, and vice versa. Maybe when your sisters come to shoot trap rent a gun that will specifically fit them. Women usually have a shorter length of pull, so they might be reaching for a trigger on a gun set up for you.

Shooting a gun well and dealing with recoil well has a lot to do with fit.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Also, you might look at 12 ga gas guns. The gas system reduces recoil, and only one barrel reduces weight a bit. But remember, the lighter the gun, the higher the recoil.

Also, ammuntion choice. Fiocchi has the 12TL load, which is a low recoil 1 ounce 12ga round. Recoil is on par with a 20 ga.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I would look at the Ruger Red Label in 20, I really like it but don't care for their 12 much since I feel the 12 is clunky by comparison.

Another great 20 that I love is the Browning BPS Upland, it's a pump I know, but worth handling if you ever see one in a shop. Makes a great all around gun in my mind. Shorter than most, light, handy, with screw in chokes and a straight pistol grip. Just about the perfect small game gun for me, plus works for HD in a pinch since I shoot it often enough to stay good with it.

CZ and the Turks made some SxS's for different people. If you are trying to stay under $1k I would read up on those and see which ones people like. I have a Amarillo 20 SxS which IIRC was made by Huglu for CZ, short coach style gun but the quality and screw in chokes are there.

Price and purpose will drive suggestions a lot.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    You know, if the weight is not so much of an issue as recoil, there are some lower power 12 gauge loads available. Might be an option you could look into since it seems the 12 gauge guns are more common than the 20s.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    Well, I have a 12 gauge benelli sbeII for a gas gun, which certainly helps reduce the recoil from heavier loads. Still, for skeet especially, there are some functional preferences for not needing to go picking up shells. Also, my sisters and I grew up thinking shotguns were either double-barrel S/S or single-barrel bolt action, so while I have branched out some, they like to stick with what is familiar. My sisters tried the sbeII, but preferred the handling and appearance of my O/U. The youngest sister had a solid run of broken clays with the sbeII, but still preferred the feel/handling the citori.

I will probably want to talk with my sisters a bit more to find out what was more of an issue to them, recoil or weight. I suspect with the youngest sister that weight-forward, and weight-overall is the primary concern, and recoil a secondary concern. I took both sisters to camp perry for the small arms school's weekend M16 rifle course, and the youngest was miffed that she was initially out-shooting her older sister by a good margin, but then the 20" barrel tired out her forward arm and her 9's turned into 5's. When my sisters and I do some autumn trap at our grandfather's place, with a double-barrel 12 gauge and 20 gauge available, both sisters want to use the 20 gauge.

So, while a 20 gauge gas gun could offer benefits to weight or recoil, weight by moving from two barrels to one and downsizing from 12 gauge to 20 gauge, and recoil by running a gas system and downsizing from 12 gauge to 20 gauge, I think both sisters still want run with a a S/S or O/U. The one time a neighbor joined in at our autumn trap session and brought a pump shotgun, both my sisters and I had short-stroking issues from inexperience when trying for doubles. While that can be corrected with practice, I think my sisters are retaining their first impression that pumps aren't dependable.:o

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    A light 20 ga gun with standard shells will not be much less, if any, recoil than a light to mid weight 12 with low recoil shells.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Well, I have a 12 gauge benelli sbeII for a gas gun, which certainly helps reduce the recoil from heavier loads. Still, for skeet especially, there are some functional preferences for not needing to go picking up shells. Also, my sisters and I grew up thinking shotguns were either double-barrel S/S or single-barrel bolt action, so while I have branched out some, they like to stick with what is familiar. My sisters tried the sbeII, but preferred the handling and appearance of my O/U. The youngest sister had a solid run of broken clays with the sbeII, but still preferred the feel/handling the citori.

I will probably want to talk with my sisters a bit more to find out what was more of an issue to them, recoil or weight. I suspect with the youngest sister that weight-forward, and weight-overall is the primary concern, and recoil a secondary concern. I took both sisters to camp perry for the small arms school's weekend M16 rifle course, and the youngest was miffed that she was initially out-shooting her older sister by a good margin, but then the 20" barrel tired out her forward arm and her 9's turned into 5's. When my sisters and I do some autumn trap at our grandfather's place, with a double-barrel 12 gauge and 20 gauge available, both sisters want to use the 20 gauge.

So, while a 20 gauge gas gun could offer benefits to weight or recoil, weight by moving from two barrels to one and downsizing from 12 gauge to 20 gauge, and recoil by running a gas system and downsizing from 12 gauge to 20 gauge, I think both sisters still want run with a a S/S or O/U. The one time a neighbor joined in at our autumn trap session and brought a pump shotgun, both my sisters and I had short-stroking issues from inexperience when trying for doubles. While that can be corrected with practice, I think my sisters are retaining their first impression that pumps aren't dependable.:o

The Benelli SBE II is not a gas gun. It is recoil operated. I know, I have both the original SBE and the Beretta 391. The Beretta 391 is gas operated. Now, whether a semi-auto is recoil or gas operated does not make much difference in my opinion. The recoil is spread over a longer length of time, so the felt recoil is less.

Ultimately, it is going to come down to whether the weight of the gun, felt recoil, fit, or a combination of all of the above is what bothers the women. I know that my 12 gauge guns did not fit my petite sister, and the weight and recoil of the gun bothered both of them. Went to the 20 ga. youth model and it was a lot better.

A person you might want to talk to about this is ShallNotInfringe ("SNI"). She isn't usually on the Shotgun forum. She has shot both my 20 gauge Beretta 391 and NYTransplants 20 gauge youth pump (the brand and model escapes me, but I want to say Mossberg). I believe she has also tried some full size 12 gauge guns.

Now, I own a 391 in 12 gauge and a 391 in 20 gauge. The 20 gauge has noticeably less recoil.

Then, you can look into the 28 gauge. Benelli and Beretta both make autos in 28 gauge. I'm thinking about getting one, but my list of guns wanted just keeps growing exponentially. So, I am going to have to do some debating toward the end of the year.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Here is a close up pic of the CZ Mallard they had, I took the pic this am. I actually purchased one they had in 12 guage a few weeks ago

Attachments

• 20150717_113914_resized.jpg
      20150717_113914_resized.jpg
      44.6 KB · Views: 92

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads