• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    My experience with service grade ammo (LC and PMC) in 30-06 out of my Garand 3" groups at 100 yards is a sure thing. On the last two times out using the DCM sourced PMC I shoot sub 2" groups. I was really seeing the sights well and I getting a good consistent hold on the rifle. I hear the Grrek stuff is comparable but have no personal experience with it.

Experience with the Russian steel case 223, about 3" group potential at 100 yards and about 3" off the POI of good reloads and Federal 223 55gr FMJBT.

Others' and your mileage may vary.

You didn't indicate in your initial post that you were already a reloader - I'm surprised that you asked the question if you are already well versed in the benefits, cost, performance and hand tailoring, that reloading provides. To me it's a no brainier - I don't currently shoot rifle at all, but if/when I start up, I will tool up for it regardless of whether or not it will save me any money - I'd rather shoot reloads than factory ammo any day.

Trickg, It was a matter of experience and knowledge in different areas, even if there are a number of similarities. Given my past history with reloading pistol rounds, for .45/.38/.357 I know exactly what I want in terms of bullet/primer/powder and what is an acceptable price. However, for .223 where I have not accumulated knowledge or experience, I would just assume the common 55gr. bullet is fine and would need to scope out prices at various internet sites, gun shows, etc. to get a feel for common price. Even then, the common price currently available might be X cents, but through discussion here on MDS I might get advised that certain sources are cheaper or have periodic sales, or that brand Y bullets are better than brand Z bullets.

Magnumite's input is rather valuable to me, since about 100 yards is likely where I will be taking my rifles in the meantime. 3" at 100 yards is quite acceptable to me at the moment, so that assists my decision whether to reload or buy currently for .223 and .30-06. I am stubborn about using iron sights, though this doesn't always work well with my nearsightedness. At the pistol range I put a red dot sticker (like at garage sales) in the middle of targets and then can at 25 yards tell where the center is. At the pistol range I want to stack my shots atop each other in the X ring. Currently for my rifles, at 100 yards with iron sights and less than perfect vision, going for a 3" group around the target center is acceptable. When and if I get more serious with the rifles (probably putting on a scope), then handloading for rifle will take more precedence.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I do use a scope on the HBAR to test my AR loads or for plinking pieces of broken clays at longer range. During matches, though, I use the iron sights only on the HBAR. On the carbine I use the red dot for close in and BUIS for the long shots. Sounds strange but its true.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Sorry if this was already mentioned, but another major benefit of reloading is the way it distances you from crazy panics and ammo shortages/price gouging.

Yea, components tend to skyrocket and be hard to find during these times as well, but if you are able to keep a decent stock on hand, you can buy during normal times and sit back & reload while most people are frantically searching for ammo and crying about CheaperThanDirt charging 50 bucks for a box of 9mm.

I am also someone who would reload even if the cost was the same as commercial ammo. I love it, it relaxes me. I'm a chemical lab tech t at my job so it is like a much more fun version of work, where the results are more rewarding and enjoyable.

I like finding components that will work in multiple calibers that I shoot, and experimenting with them to find accurate and economical loads in each. It keeps me sane! (Almost)

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    Toolness1, insulation from ammo shortages is a definite benefit. If it wasn't for the 5# limit on smokeless powder we reloaders could lay in a stock of components that would last us however long we needed. As it is I will have plenty of bullets, primers, and brass long after my current lot of powder runs out.

I reload the following calibers. I enjoy it and I save money. I regularly check for the two Arisaka calibers but can't hardly find commercial ammo for them. When I do they're expensive.

30-06 for my Garand
    .303 British
    8mm Mauser
    7.62x54r
    .30 Carbine
    7.7 Arisaka
    6.5 Arisaka
    7.62x25

I want to try loading/reloading for my Nagant revolvers.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There is one other factor on the cost side. How much do yo shoot?

If you shoot a few boxes a year, it will take a while to cover the cost of the equipment. If you shoot a lot, you will be saving money very quickly.

Also, things change over time. You have to keep on top of prices. Back in the 90s, there was a point where 7.62 was cheaper to buy than to reload. So I bought. But in general, I find that I save at least 10 cents per round on all the calibers I reload..

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    Nothing to say that hasn't been said but reiterating... cost savings is fine when compared to match grade ammo but like some have said, ACCURACY is the number one reason I reload. The first time you take a .45 and put five rounds through a ragged hole at 8 yards without trying, you'll make your money back in smiles.

(that might not sound impressive to most but I'm a rifle guy and hate pistols. my groupings are usually all over the place)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom