• BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    Are those yours?
    Love Omega pie pans! Beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish:D

Building watches was one of my passion, before my eyes got so bad from wearing watch loupe. This watch picture was one of the watches I was planning to build 10 years ago.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I suspect that now and/or in the near future, it might be a great opportunity to get a steal on a second hand Rolex, Omega, etc etc. The Swiss watch market will def take a hit from this as people offload items for cash and as demand for new $6,000+ watches goes down.

On a waitlist for a Rolex Pepsi GMT or white dial Daytona? you may find yourself getting a call from your jeweler sooner than later. Those fortunate enough to be able to purchase something like that will have some great deals available.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I suspect that now and/or in the near future, it might be a great opportunity to get a steal on a second hand Rolex, Omega, etc etc. The Swiss watch market will def take a hit from this as people offload items for cash and as demand for new $6,000+ watches goes down.

On a waitlist for a Rolex Pepsi GMT or white dial Daytona? you may find yourself getting a call from your jeweler sooner than later. Those fortunate enough to be able to purchase something like that will have some great deals available.

Interestingly, even in the worst recessions, Ferrari sales are stable.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Interestingly, even in the worst recessions, Ferrari sales are stable.

I would argue that a Ferrari is in a higher category that isn't as in flux with the economy. Similarly, I would speculate that the ultra high end watches (25-50K,100K+) won't suffer as greatly as the "everymans'' high end watch.

Ferarri sales may remains table, but i'd bet BMW and Mercedes sales slump in comparison.

I know an 8K submariner can hardly be thought of as an everyman piece, but in the world of fine swiss watches, it absolutely is. The 5-15K pricepoint, in my opinion, may take quite a hit.

But this is all my opinion and based on my fairly good but limited understanding of the watch industry. I could very well be wrong.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Doubtful unless Rolex authorizes price reductions. They have pretty strict rules about what their distributors can/can’t do. Generally speaking people that can afford $8-10k for a Submariner or 20+K for a Daytona will still be able to do so because they aren’t drastically affected what’s going on right now.
    Now private sales in the used watch market may be a different story.

BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    Doubtful unless Rolex authorizes price reductions. They have pretty strict rules about what their distributors can/can’t do. Generally speaking people that can afford $8-10k for a Submariner or 20+K for a Daytona will still be able to do so because they aren’t drastically affected what’s going on right now.

If possible always buy these items through an authorized seller. Stay away from gray markets, especially from Asia which are usually much cheaper but are franken watches.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012

Sorry there will be no 'deals' on Rolex Sport watches. COVID-19 or not.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Sorry there will be no 'deals' on Rolex Sport watches. COVID-19 or not.

This is unfortunately true. The Rolex sport models are being made from unobtanium at this point. My Rolex and Omega are both dress watches. My sport watches are Seiko.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    If possible always buy these items through an authorized seller. Stay away from gray markets, especially from Asia which are usually much cheaper but are franken watches.

There is Absolutely zero reason to stay away from these trusted sellers, there are many in the US. DavidSW is one and operates a brick and mortar business and does a thriving Internet business to include his own Youtube channel. I've purchased ~7-8 Rolexs from him and every transaction has been perfect. My watch arrives the next morning via FedEx and is perfect to include everything it was born with, to include stickers in most cases.. I have many friends within the watch community with the same exact experience with David, OC Watches, etc., etc..

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

I was specifically referring to second hand market. Especially those that have inflated prices over MSRP. It's a well known fact that Rolex does not allow any discount to their MSRP, regardless of what's going on.

What I am saying is the market for second hand items like a Daytona or Pepsi GMT or Patek may come down. And even better deals may be found in the realm of Omega's, IWC, etc.

I disagree that most people who can afford an 8k watch will be unaffected. I cannot tell you how many people I know, myself included, that make albiet decent salaries that will save up and fork over a lot of coin for a 5-10k watch. The target buyer for a Submariner makes less money than you may think.

BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    There is Absolutely zero reason to stay away from these trusted sellers, there are many in the US. DavidSW is one and operates a brick and mortar business and does a thriving Internet business to include his own Youtube channel. I've purchased ~7-8 Rolexs from him and every transaction has been perfect. My watch arrives the next morning via FedEx and is perfect to include everything it was born with, to include stickers in most cases.. I have many friends within the watch community with the same exact experience with David, OC Watches, etc., etc..

In your case it is not a problem. You know your seller and you know the watch you are buying. But for folks who like to own one has to do a lot or research before you plunk 10K on a vintage Rolex. I know a guy(my brother) bought a 1988 16700 from Asia and it came with a Gilt dial.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Two everyday watches. Like them both. But when the Casio runs into a problem, its inexpensive to replace.

Attachments

• 0B5CF295-2E14-49C6-81EA-0582DD0B8E7D.jpg
      0B5CF295-2E14-49C6-81EA-0582DD0B8E7D.jpg
      68.3 KB · Views: 254

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Looks nice!

Thanks. I like Vostoks, and the Amphibias seem to made a lot better in recent years. Their windup watches always seemed pretty good in the past but the self-winders were always troublesome, at least for me.

The older Amphibias I collected years ago, I bought them pretty much with the thought in mind they were more collectibles than useful watches. Even bought new they were prone to die after a while of moderate use. I'm surprised they were certified by the Soviets for military use, but then again maybe I'm not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom