• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I had to pick up a couple of prescriptions for my wife and daughter tonight at Target in Columbia. This was the cold medicine isle. Nothing left. The children’s pain relief section was on the other side of this same isle and was completely empty.

We are doomed as a country if this is how people are going to react.
    People need to think calmly and rationally and stop being f’ing morons.

Sheesh.

Fair to say most of us have never seen anything like this. There was a lot of uncertainty after 9/11, but people rushed to blood banks to donate that very day and the next. Flights were canceled for weeks, but there was no panic. More of a slow building of resolve. Picking ourselves up. People rushing to NYC to help with the clean-up.

I think the virus is real cause for concern and social distancing measures are important as we get a handle on spread, and try to slow it, to flatten the hospitalization curve ... but groceries and pharmacies stay open in quarantine areas. it's as if people are hunkering down for an alien invasion and think that they have to hide in their homes and there is no resupply.

The media, which inculcates fear of firearms, has driven a lot of the panic. While on the one had we know how they can affect the narrative, to witness the effects is still startling.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul

Attachments

• mask.jpg
      mask.jpg
      49.8 KB · Views: 282

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I am so glad I went Wednesday. It was picked clean today, though going at 10pm the lines were manageable.

I have to say, with shelves emptied, and distribution centers dumping their inventory to refill, there has to be some money to be made there in the stock market.

How is there any money to be made if the items cannot be replenished? That is one issue. Not only that, but if people went out and bought all this food, toilet paper, or whatever else, why would they be going back to the store anytime soon. People are still going to consume the exact same amount of food. Albeit, it might be cheaper food. What is not going to be consumed is salon days, driving to the countryside to stay in a bed and breakfast, eating at restaurants, going for a haircut, going to the shooting range, gasoline for driving to work, diesel for school buses, etc. However, all those places still need to pay the rent. Then, if people start missing time from work, they will have less free cash to spend on non-essential items once they actually get out of the house.

My wife just dumped $1,000+ on groceries. Pretty sure that is so we can avoid the super market for the next month. So, the super markets are not getting any more cash from us for a month or more.

All of this BS is depressing, but we have to keep our heads up and keep chugging along. My 7 year old woke up in the middle of the night an hour ago screaming that she did not want her and her brother and sisters to die. Just depressing.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    A description of COVID-19 illness from a 37-year old in Seattle ...

'Don't panic' says US woman who recovered from coronavirus

Schneider first began experiencing flu-like symptoms on February 25, three days after going to a party that was later identified as the place where at least five other people also got infected.

"I woke up and I was feeling tired, but it was nothing more than what you normally feel when you have to get up and go to work, and I had been very busy the previous weekend," she told AFP in an interview Wednesday.

By midday, however, she felt a headache coming on, along with a fever and body aches. She decided to leave the office of the biotechnology company where she works as a marketing manager, and went home.

After waking up from a nap, Schneider found she had a high temperature, which peaked at 103 degrees Fahrenheit that night (39.4 Celsius).

"And at that point, I started to shiver uncontrollably, and I was getting the chills and getting tingling in my extremities, so that was a little concerning," she said.

She turned to over-the-counter flu medications to treat the symptoms and called a friend to be on standby in case she needed to be taken to an emergency room -- but the fever began to recede in the coming days.

Schneider had been following news reports about the novel coronavirus. The first US case was detected in Washington in late January.

The state has since gone on to become the epicenter of the disease in the country, with more than 260 cases and at least two dozen deaths. Nationwide, there have been more than 1,100 cases and 30 deaths.

Because she didn't have the most common symptoms like a cough or shortness of breath, "I thought, okay, well that's definitely why I don't have coronavirus," said Schneider.

She had gotten a flu shot but assumed her illness was a different strain. A visit to the doctor would only result in her being asked to go home, rest and drink plenty of fluids.

A few days later, however, she discovered through a friend's Facebook post that several people from the party had all developed similar symptoms, and she began to get more suspicious.

Several of these people went to their doctors, where they were found to be negative for the flu, but they were not offered coronavirus tests because they too were not coughing or having breathing trouble.

Knowing that she would also likely be turned down for the test, she decided to enroll in a research program called the Seattle Flu Study, hoping it might provide an answer. The team behind the study sent her a nasal swab kit, which she mailed back and waited several more days.

"I finally got a phone call from one of the research coordinators on Saturday (March 7), telling me that 'You have tested positive for COVID-19,'" she said.

"I was a little bit pleasantly surprised, because I thought it was a little bit cool," Schneider admitted, laughing, though her mother cried when she told her.

"Granted, I probably would not have felt that way if I was severely ill," she said. "But from a scientific curiosity perspective, I thought it was very interesting. And also the fact that I finally got confirmation that that's what I had."

By this time, her symptoms had already subsided, and she was told by local health authorities to remain at home for at least seven days after the onset of symptoms or 72 hours after they subsided.

It's now been a week since she's felt better. She has started going out for errands but is still avoiding large gatherings and continuing to work from home.

"The message is don't panic," said Schneider. "If you think that you have it, you probably do; you should probably get tested."

"If your symptoms aren't life-threatening, simply stay at home, medicate with over-the-counter medicines, drink lots of water, get a lot of rest and check out the shows you want to binge-watch," she said.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Funny thing this testing.

Teratos talks about having patients who fit the profile and are turned down for testing. He notes 77 tests by CDC...period of time not recollected by me.

OTOH, Justin Trudeau, Tom Hanks, his wife, etc. all tested positive for the virus... Them and many others who are rich, famous and connected. Anybody else see a pattern here?

Why is this important? Well, for me, this is a clear indication that what we’ve suspected all along is spot on. Us peons ain’t gonna get squat from the system in any kind of true emergency. Not unlike the more tactical carrying a gun to defend yourself, if you think the government will protect, defend and or save you when that “rainy day” sees you drenched to the skin and miserable, well then...you gonna be damned disappointed.

God helps those who help themselves. We are getting a firsthand lessson in personal sovereignty and responsibility. All the programming that “they” have our best interests at heart is laid bare. They don’t give a rosey red shit about us. Forget that at your personal and absolute peril.

Drama not artificial here. We need to look around, then look in the mirror and know “we” must take care of ourselves and our loved ones. Figure out your plan and work it. Less contact. More better. Having food and consumables on hand better than an empty pantry. Stop worrying and start acting constructively.

Is it better to curse the darkness or get up off your ass and turn on the lights...and stop by the fridge for a cold one on your way to your next project?

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Just out of curiosity... where does the Governor derive power to regulate gatherings on private property? I understand that his executive order to cancel gatherings of 250 on State property flow from his role as chief executive... but how does he get private venues and church owned schools to close? I just don't understand what authority is conveyed through the declaration of a state of emergency. Anyone know the particulars?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Nnztg8r, the Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau hasn't been tested. His wife that was showing symptoms was tested. I do think key government officials should get tested.

As per Tom Hanks, he was tested overseas. Maybe they prioritized him, or maybe they don't have a backlog in Australia and have been buying the diagnostics from Qiagen or another entity (that hasn't yet received approval in the US).

Agree with less contact and acting constructively.

Funny thing this testing.

Teratos talks about having patients who fit the profile and are turned down for testing. He notes 77 tests by CDC...period of time not recollected by me.

OTOH, Justin Trudeau, Tom Hanks, his wife, etc. all tested positive for the virus... Them and many others who are rich, famous and connected. Anybody else see a pattern here?

Why is this important? Well, for me, this is a clear indication that what we’ve suspected all along is spot on. Us peons ain’t gonna get squat from the system in any kind of true emergency. Not unlike the more tactical carrying a gun to defend yourself, if you think the government will protect, defend and or save you when that “rainy day” sees you drenched to the skin and miserable, well then...you gonna be damned disappointed.

God helps those who help themselves. We are getting a firsthand lessson in personal sovereignty and responsibility. All the programming that “they” have our best interests at heart is laid bare. They don’t give a rosey red shit about us. Forget that at your personal and absolute peril.

Drama not artificial here. We need to look around, then look in the mirror and know “we” must take care of ourselves and our loved ones. Figure out your plan and work it. Less contact. More better. Having food and consumables on hand better than an empty pantry. Stop worrying and start acting constructively.

Is it better to curse the darkness or get up off your ass and turn on the lights...and stop by the fridge for a cold one on your way to your next project?

:thumbsup:

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Nnztg8r, the Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau hasn't been tested. His wife that was showing symptoms was tested. I do think key government officials should get tested.

As per Tom Hanks, he was tested overseas. Maybe they prioritized him, or maybe they don't have a backlog in Australia and have been buying the diagnostics from Qiagen or another entity (that hasn't yet received approval in the US).

Agree with less contact and acting constructively.
    Thanks Fidelity. I stand corrected.

My point is that well positioned folks are much more likely to be tested and properly cared for than the average Joe or Jane. That in a system with limited capacity.

My second point is not to ignore the medical system but to have a rational, self based plan and work the plan.

Disasters (of all sorts) continue to point out that some survive and some don’t. Those who are prepared and those who take matters into their own hands (self responsibility) tend to be “luckier” that those who mimic our friend the sheep.

Our MDS threads are replete with examples of our government failing to be ahead of the power curve despite much warning. Clearly, folks like you have ideas how our response could have been much more efficacious. What I am promoting is awareness, rational reaction and preparedness as the basis for survival. YOU put yourself in a position to be lucky.

Not to be disagreeable but I stand by my notion (despite technical inaccuracies) that folks at the top of the economic, social and political pyramid will get better and faster treatment than us pogues. Convince me I’m wrong. (Acknowledgement to Doc T.)

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Just out of curiosity... where does the Governor derive power to regulate gatherings on private property? I understand that his executive order to cancel gatherings of 250 on State property flow from his role as chief executive... but how does he get private venues and church owned schools to close? I just don't understand what authority is conveyed through the declaration of a state of emergency. Anyone know the particulars?

I think the only authority to prohibit what you described above; would be martial law. We're not there yet.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I had to pick up a couple of prescriptions for my wife and daughter tonight at Target in Columbia. This was the cold medicine isle. Nothing left. The children’s pain relief section was on the other side of this same isle and was completely empty.

We are doomed as a country if this is how people are going to react.
    People need to think calmly and rationally and stop being f’ing morons.

653d44f2cf2321ea5327ceb328d9364f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tbh that may not even be a hoarding situation. There are plenty of people that dont keep that stuff on hand. All of the sudden everyone decides they need a bottle and poof it's all gone.

This along with the observation up thread about people buying groceries one meal prep at a time is what's driving a lot of this hysteria. When you need something run to the store, now everybody and their brother needs something and they are cleaning the stores out.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Anyone else observing the propagation of the talking points targeted at those that took the time to see this coming weeks ago and up the ante on their preps?

The spin now is that you are selfish, that you are causing others to go without, etc, etc.

Collectivists feel the need to collect.

Just curious, have you seen that on social media and/or MSM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Giant Crofton 7:15 this morn, no milk, eggs, meat etc., no lines, plenty of bare spots on shelves but I got what i went for ... another Nougat Egg!

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I went to Weis on security this morning around 0730, it was busier than usual that time of the morning. Toilet paper was limited to 1 pack per customer, and they were down to about a half dozen 4 roll packs. Meat was a little thin, but they had the corned beef that I went for. Everything else seemed pretty well stocked, I didn't check the cleaning goods section.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    That's amazing. Really value seeing updates here from not only all over Maryland and Virginia, but MDSers in Colorado (like yourself), Texas, South Korea, etc. Gives real perspective to the breadth of what's happening.

I thought you would find this interesting. Here is a breakdown of Colorado's 48 confirmed cases by age:

Attachments

• Untitled.png
      Untitled.png
      9.9 KB · Views: 261

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads