Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old March 16th, 2019, 12:01 AM #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1240 View Post
Did you by chance have any progress with the one gal or was she steadfast with her opinion?
There was certainly some progress although naturally not enough for her to abandon her base. That being said, we certainly agreed on some middleground and even she was open to many of the bare minimum exceptions that were part of what I was fighting for: HB96 not exempting immediate family/redefining "loan", HB740 going retroactive and banning 50 years worth of old firearms and not allowing new manufacture even if serialized, HB786 requiring licensing. Didn't get a chance to discuss HB612.

Her biggest issue was the fact that untraceable guns were being circulated in her neighborhood and she want accountability via serialization.

I think the key takeaways for me are witnessing that these folks were ultimately being influenced/directed by an outside organization, that most of these activists have no idea what is actually in these bills and that individually they are amicable to reasonable compromise regardless of what their handlers claim. In other words, they are the average, previously non-aligned MD citizen that the professional anti-gun groups got to first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelity View Post
Great to have this first hand insight.

(I got another CZ rimfire rifle, btw, thinking it's the last ... and trying to ignore the 457 line)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I'm still loving the CZ455, it's just been wonderful and pleasant to shoot. Added a TechSights rear peep but may switch to the CZ-branded Lyman rear sight at some point.
benton0311 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2019, 12:21 AM #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by benton0311 View Post
Her biggest issue was the fact that untraceable guns were being circulated in her neighborhood and she want accountability via serialization.
Please tell me more about the vast numbers of unserialized guns circulating all over the place.

Ugh.
Malleovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2019, 12:38 AM #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleovic View Post
Please tell me more about the vast numbers of unserialized guns circulating all over the place.

Ugh.
There isn’t, which was one of the points I was trying to make but the “untraceable guns” was her line.
benton0311 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2019, 07:09 AM #74
My hair is amazing

My hair is amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleovic View Post

Ugh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benton0311 View Post
There isn’t, which was one of the points I was trying to make but the “untraceable guns” was her line.
Even if the guns are serialzed/registered, how does that prevent them being stolen, like 90% of crime guns. How does that “track” a mass shooter. The only thing you get out of it is knowng who to return the gun to....
MSRPA BOD
I touched Heller.....
teratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2019, 12:19 PM #75

"Untraceable guns" are not the problem. Untraceable felons are the problem. Meaningful sentences, that are carried out, is what we need along with the means for common everyday schlubs to be able to defend themselves in public. It's really no more complicated than that.
Member-Mount Washington Rod & Gun Club
Member- Maryland Shall Issue
ROLL TIDE!!
rseymorejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2019, 12:25 PM #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by rseymorejr View Post
"Untraceable guns" are not the problem. Untraceable felons are the problem. Meaningful sentences, that are carried out, is what we need along with the means for common everyday schlubs to be able to defend themselves in public. It's really no more complicated than that.
I was speaking to someone about Baltimore City this morning. He brought up a point I hadn’t thought about before. Baltimore City arrests a known drug dealer, seizes drugs, cash and guns. Drops the gun charges so it doesn’t go Federal and have to give up all the evidence and the cash disappears. Slap the dealer on the wrist, release them and give them a few weeks to build up a nice stack of cash. Rinse and repeat.
Ammo Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2019, 12:36 PM #77

I'm more worried about untraceable crowbars.
GLEN ARM (BALT CO) MAN DRESSED AS A UNICORN ROBBED CONVENIENCE STORE THIS MORNING - 13522 LONG GREEN PIKE - AFTER A SHORT PURSUIT HE CRASHED HIS CAR AND WAS TAKEN INTO CUSTODY - HIS WEAPON WAS A CROWBAR

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
#250A
Spin Master
Straightshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2019, 01:39 PM #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammo Jon View Post
I was speaking to someone about Baltimore City this morning. He brought up a point I hadn’t thought about before. Baltimore City arrests a known drug dealer, seizes drugs, cash and guns. Drops the gun charges so it doesn’t go Federal and have to give up all the evidence and the cash disappears. Slap the dealer on the wrist, release them and give them a few weeks to build up a nice stack of cash. Rinse and repeat.
Gun charges don't go "Federal" unless the state asks the Federal AAG to get involved. The premise that was brought up is incorrect.

If the case goes to court and the drug dealer is found guilty, the money is not automatically forfeited to the city. The police department must file a request for civil forfeiture, which the court must approve. Further, under federal and state law (I believe), the amount of money forfeited cannot be more than the value of any drugs and illicit property recovered. If their is a plea deal on the charges, and the drug dealers is not made to agree to forfeit all of the money, then it all goes back to him on his request for returning of his property.

So, it really isn't all that cut and dry on what happens and at what level.
Old March 16th, 2019, 01:46 PM #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblas View Post
Gun charges don't go "Federal" unless the state asks the Federal AAG to get involved. The premise that was brought up is incorrect.

If the case goes to court and the drug dealer is found guilty, the money is not automatically forfeited to the city. The police department must file a request for civil forfeiture, which the court must approve. Further, under federal and state law (I believe), the amount of money forfeited cannot be more than the value of any drugs and illicit property recovered. If their is a plea deal on the charges, and the drug dealers is not made to agree to forfeit all of the money, then it all goes back to him on his request for returning of his property.

So, it really isn't all that cut and dry on what happens and at what level.
Thank you. Just did not feel like writing all of it. It is best that we sound intelligent and well informed when discussing all issues, not just 2A issues.

Also, remember that there was a recent SCOTUS case regarding civil forfeiture. A unanimous decision written by Ginsburg that severely limits government agencies from using civil forfeiture to fund the agency.

https://www.theroot.com/does-a-new-s...ong-1832790192

Granted, the 7 corrupt Baltimore City officers that are going to prison did nothing to help the Baltimore City police department's reputation.

Without a written agreement between you and me, there is no attorney/client relationship. Do NOT rely on what is posted by me or others on this chatboard as sound legal advice. Hire an attorney of your choosing, pay for the advice/research, and rely on that. I discuss topics of interest on this board, I do not provide legal advice for you to rely on.
fabsroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2019, 01:51 PM #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabsroman View Post
Thank you. Just did not feel like writing all of it. It is best that we sound intelligent and well informed when discussing all issues, not just 2A issues.

Also, remember that there was a recent SCOTUS case regarding civil forfeiture. A unanimous decision written by Ginsburg that severely limits government agencies from using civil forfeiture to fund the agency.

https://www.theroot.com/does-a-new-s...ong-1832790192

Granted, the 7 corrupt Baltimore City officers that are going to prison did nothing to help the Baltimore City police department's reputation.
I try to keep up on anything and everything that even remotely might affect firearms laws as well as violent crime. I guess I paid attention in this case, at some point.

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues