• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    If the .22LR shortage had lasted longer, or been more severe, then this might have sold better:

http://www.ssusa.org/articles/2015/...wsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=0815

"Kit price is $74.95. Die and shell holder are $59.95"
    "your overall cost will only be about 80 cents per box of 50/$8 per brick"

So, if a reloaded round is 1.6 cpr ($0.80 / box of 50), and remington golden bullets are about 6.0 cpr ($29.99 + tax / box of 525), then you can make back the initial investment of $134.90 at 4.4 cpr. It will only take 3,066 rounds of reloaded .22LR to break even... :rolleyes:

Just remember to pack the "primer mud" equally around the rim by manually scraping it into place with the toothpick like hand tool, and make sure that your firing pin does not strike the rim where the last ignition lit off. :D

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    If the .22LR shortage had lasted longer, or been more severe, then this might have sold better:

http://www.ssusa.org/articles/2015/...wsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=0815

"Kit price is $74.95. Die and shell holder are $59.95"
    "your overall cost will only be about 80 cents per box of 50/$8 per brick"

So, if a reloaded round is 1.6 cpr ($0.80 / box of 50), and remington golden bullets are about 6.0 cpr ($29.99 + tax / box of 525), then you can make back the initial investment of $134.90 at 4.4 cpr. It will only take 3,066 rounds of reloaded .22LR to break even... :rolleyes:

Just remember to pack the "primer mud" equally around the rim by manually scraping it into place with the toothpick like hand tool, and make sure that your firing pin does not strike the rim where the last ignition lit off. :D

I just read the article about it. I love you ROI analysis!

Dec 31, 2012
    could make some nice subsonic loads tuned to cycle a soft recoil spring gun as long as you don't restrike the used portion of the rim...

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    Splodey boo-boo?

Depends on how volatile the priming mud is while still wet with acetone.
    Remember to wear your safety googles while reloading. :D

"a small deviation in a 1-grain .22 LR powder charge has far more significance in performance than the same error in a 48-grain .30-06 powder charge."

So, not only must the measurement of the priming mud be precise, but the powder charge probably needs to be measured out with a powder trickler. Sounds like a lot of precision and time needed for saving less than a nickel per round. :tdown:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I predict I'd make lots of duds by doing this.

When I looked at this, I figured I'd rather melt my own cast boolits and make cheap low recoil 9mm.

besides, I think it may take me a few years to get through my inventory of 22LR at the rate my work is keeping me off the range.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Just imagine the lifetime supply of free reloadable .22LR range cases one could amass. ;)

I think I'll stick to reloading calibers where the round gets a brand new primer each time...:innocent0

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    This has been around a year or more. When you look at the cost, hassle, and potential misfires it just ain't worth it.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Uncle Duke
    I rather enjoy reloading. But I'm pretty sure that a few rounds of this would be all it would take to send me straight to the funny farm.
    You aren't already a permanent resident there yet? I have nobody on my floor and need a neighbor.

:D:D:D

So far, they say I'm not certifiable. But I do sometimes have these voices in my head singing "they're coming to take me away haha hehe".

Um....that's normal....right?

Well if not, I'll be sure to look you up in the DA wing! Tell em we build rockets!

They'll like that! ;)

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Uncle Duke
    I rather enjoy reloading. But I'm pretty sure that a few rounds of this would be all it would take to send me straight to the funny farm.
    You aren't already a permanent resident there yet? I have nobody on my floor and need a neighbor.

:D:D:D

So far, they say I'm not certifiable. But I do sometimes have these voices in my head singing "they're coming to take me away haha hehe".

Um....that's normal....right?

Well if not, I'll be sure to look you up in the DA wing! Tell em we build rockets!

They'll like that! ;)
    Sweet! We'll make them work for their salary! :lol2:

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    I might try it to reload my 25 Stevens ("25-10"). At $150 a box of 50. The ammo is worth more then the Remington Model 4. It has to be better then using nailgun blanks an buckshot.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Where is the "make your own primer" thread.
    I think i'd rather stamp out primers than reload 22LR.
    I hand it to the guy to come up with the kit.
    He's a ground breaker no doubt.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Where is the "make your own primer" thread.
    I think i'd rather stamp out primers than reload 22LR.
    I hand it to the guy to come up with the kit.
    He's a ground breaker no doubt.

This is for entertainment purposes only. If you end up being called "No Fingers" that is not my fault. Do not try anything you see here.

Here is a making primers thread on another forum:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?55149-Reloading-primers-test-results

And here is the making primer compound thread to go along with it:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?182089-can-you-make-priming-compound

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom