Why police shouldn't use Glocks (LA Times article)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Glocks were first and highest profile, but the same principles apply to most striker fired pistols.

AD's happen. They have and will happen with everything that is, was, or will be used. Happened with revolvers, happened with flintlocks, will happen in the future with 40 watt plasma rifles.

Specific Glock factors : The black plastic container the pistol comes in from the factory is implied by Glock, and generally considered to be a suitable container in which to store said pistol. The plastic prong intended to go thru the trigger gaurd requires the trigger to be pulled first. By shear odds of numbers, there will be pistols with a round still in the chamber having the trigger pulled in order to put it away. Likewise needing to pull the trigger to disassemble ( not unique to Glock ) . These types of "administrative AD's" will be recorded in the stastics of large LE agencies.

The "on the street" AD's caused by startle, sympathetic hand tightening, wrong pressure points being impacted, etc are probably not signifigently differnt from striker fired semis generally. The same factors occur with the use of DA revolvers, and have also resulted in ADs with them. Could hairs be split and say that X% of instances resulted in having an unintended finger movement of .xy of an inch with 9lb of force , that would not have fired with a DA revolver which would have needed (.xy times 2) movement with 11lb of force ? You could probably cherry pick a couple, but generally a sympathetic movement, or one triggered by nerve impact would have the whole hand clench with considerable force.

You could say by strickly percentages, that ADs increased both with MPD locally, and nationwide generally after the transition from DA revolvers to Glocks ( and striker guns generally) , but the numbers still round to *very few* with either.

Howard County PD has had two AD's from going to takedown the gun for cleaning. Personally I don't care for that design but the solution is simple. Check it. EVERYTIME.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Howard County PD has had two AD's from going to takedown the gun for cleaning. Personally I don't care for that design but the solution is simple. Check it. EVERYTIME.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know Baltimore Co has had a few since switching to the FN. Guess what? The gun won't discharge if you properly unload it first!

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I know Baltimore Co has had a few since switching to the FN. Guess what? The gun won't discharge if you properly unload it first!

They had what I would consider to be a bunch with the Sig P226 and the Sig Pro. I haven't heard of any with the FN but it wouldn't surprise me to find out there was a few.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    The writer needs to pull his head from his @ss. External safeties have issues too, wether it's training, getting deactivated from movement, or just mechanically failing. Some people get shot because they can't, under stress turn off the safety.

If you haven't seen a gun fire from a busted part failing then you have not shot enough. All machines break and sometimes it can be fatal.

Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and accidents will just poke holes in non living things and make your ears ring. Nothing more.

Bing, bang, boom.

I had my G Lock on every day last week and I still have the tip of my off-hand index finger.

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    The more units in service the higher the probability of anything. (Glocks have shot more...than Hi Points. That's because no PD uses Hi Points.)

The reflex grasp is the Enoka response (Dr. Enoka). As was pointed out, keep your finger off the trigger & out of the trigger guard.

When clearing a house or responding to a threat that requires deadly force, one better be ready to use your firearm, e.g. safeties off. If not, you could wind up dead.

NRA & SAF Life Member

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Anyone who relies on a safety switch to do the job that their brain and finger is SUPPOSED to be doing is an IDIOT.

Your primary safety on ALL firearms is the gray matter between your ears. If safety does not start there... NEVER touch a firearm and you will never need to worry about an ND. If safety DOES start there... The chance of you ever having to say mea culpa is reduced by an infinite multiplier.

The "Glock Bash" is just that... So much for the stupidity of blaming the inanimate object for the human failure.

Booger hook off of bang switch + brain engaged = Safety :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom