• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    I am gathering pieces towards building my first AR-15. I saw that PSA has the following upper on sale, and was wondering if it is a good deal, performance specs and price.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...1-7-mid-length-no-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

I decided I wanted to get a 16" mid-length upper, but am a bit fuzzy on what details beyond that to focus on. What aspects of an upper should I pay attention to, and how does this one stack up?

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I AM FAMILIAR WITH ( damn caps lock) the Dissipator concept in using the rifle length gas system on a shorter barrel. They look a little funny to me with the long hand guard and all, but I like the concept. Just not sure if it works well and consistently as I do not know anyone who has one.

Check out ar15.com if not one here is up on the knowledge about them. The price is very hard to beat for what you get. That is a good ....very good deal though :-)

anderson76

Feb 16, 2013
    I AM FAMILIAR WITH ( damn caps lock) the Dissipator concept in using the rifle length gas system on a shorter barrel. They look a little funny to me with the long hand guard and all, but I like the concept. Just not sure if it works well and consistently as I do not know anyone who has one.

Check out ar15.com if not one here is up on the knowledge about them. The price is very hard to beat for what you get. That is a good ....very good deal though :-)

It actually uses a mid-length gas system. There is a low pro gas block under the guard. The barrel is hammer forged and of good quality. I believe all of PSAs HF barrels are made by FN.

I bought a 14.5 HF middy with the moe guard from them a few weeks ago when they had the on sale for $350. It looked like they used a blemished upper for my build, but at that price I am not complaining.

The question is do you want the rifle length hand guard and the longer sight radius?

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    The question is do you want the rifle length hand guard and the longer sight radius?

By my limited experience, the longer sight radius sounds good. It would help with accuracy when using iron sights. As for the rifle length hand guard, wouldn't that mean that there is less exposed barrel to accidentally burn one's fingers on, more options for gripping the firearm?

Comparing the upper I was looking at with the one suggested by eruby, the price comes out the same, but the dissipator has no BCG or charging handle, but does have the front sight and the write-up seems to indicate a better barrel perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom