• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    That was not the impression I got at all. I think he meant it for real.

I also think this falls under the category of acting like a well mannered, respectable person and not like an attention seeking jackass. It also falls under the category of give the police a little credit / they aren't all anti-gun jack-booted thugs.

I cant say I know OC is legal or not in Maryland, but why would you want to make a test case out of yourself?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    For a lot of people concealed won't be good enough. For now anyway. Some who think they are smarter than the system will test it for sure. Their egos will not keep them from trying. " It doesn't say not to" is their motto.

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

Agreed.

:thumbsup:

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I cant say I know OC is legal or not in Maryland, but why would you want to make a test case out of yourself?

I believe court cases to date have said the state can specify manner of carry. If they say you must carry concealed, then that's the law (at least once they write it up).

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Credit Due: As much as I appreciate the kind words, the fact is that the SAF, Alan Gura, Cary Hansel and Ray Woollard put out much more than anyone else. You all owe each of them a drink, at least.

MSI has had a lot of hands involved over the years. I don't even know them all, and much of the initial history occurred when I was still moving about the land and living elsewhere. MSI's involvement in the Woollard case was initially limited, largely because state-oriented groups did not regularly consider things like federal lawsuits. They do now.

You can credit Paul (Norton, around here) for a great deal of keeping the legislature off of your collective backs, and for recognizing that it was time for MSI to pivot and expand into more national issues. He expanded membership multi-fold and put MSI on some maps. Keep in mind MSI has been a stand-alone organization - we are not an NRA, SAF, GOA or whatever offshoot. Expanding the MSI envelope was all home-built.

Paul (and others) created a system that we were able to wield this last session to great effect. He also drove the initial fund drive for the SAF/Woollard case and opened that first dialogue.

As much as it's nice to see all the nice words about me, the simple fact is I cringe a bit (in a nice way) when I read the kind words. I want the credit to go the right way. My own personal role is just trying to think and walk and keep the talk alive. I hope that at the end of my tenure as part of MSI management, we have a wider organization that is self-managing to a large extent. I don't want my successors to burn out.

Much like Paul saw two years ago, I see a pivot coming soon. We have taken some steps in that direction, and you'll hear more about MSIs mission at an upcoming organizational meeting. Assuming we hold onto shall-issue, our organizational focus will naturally pivot. We've been planing for that. Again, more later.

Much of what MSI has done these past months is wait and watch, keeping certain lines open and playing the outcome game. For that matter, that's pretty much what all the other parties did, as well. There was more communication in the background than we talk about now, with many parties, state-attached and not, involved. It continues. So does the watching and waiting. There are still sensitivities and concerns.

To that end, we still have a chance this thing will be stayed in the 4th. I won't do what I did last time and talk down the expectations, because I think the state has a tough climb. A stay coming from the district court would not have been a big surprise, nor unusual. A reversal from the 4th of what is a well-considered opinion on denying that stay would be unusual. I will say outright: I would be disappointed in a stay from the 4th in ways that a stay from the district would not have caused.

If all goes well, we'll be having a conversation soon on renewed goals and plans. Stay tuned.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    For a lot of people concealed won't be good enough. For now anyway. Some who think they are smarter than the system will test it for sure. Their egos will not keep them from trying. " It doesn't say not to" is their motto.

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

Not sure what you mean by this? You mean people will show up to places like the courthouse CC and be pissed because they're not allowed in armed?

I'm sure that will happen. No sarcasm...I mean it.

miben

Sep 29, 2007
    NC formerly Eldersburg MD
    Very good information, the fact that they have provided you information is a credit to MSI.

I also think you should reconsider the language:
    Each must have on final background check done, just to be sure you did not kill someone since they last looked at you.

Comments like that can be counterproductive even if it was meant as a joke.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY

We didn't lose our rights in one step and we won't win them back in one step either. Let's get CC safe first, then we can worry about OC down the road. Other steps beyond that would be OC where no one hassles you, and then Constitutional Carry. But none of that is going to happen while we're still on thin ice - with a hostile GA and Gov, and with a public that has yet to see the benefits of where we're headed. Baby steps. We can still lose this thing; let's not lose it because we shot ourselves in the foot in our haste.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

We didn't lose our rights in one step and we won't win them back in one step either. Let's get CC safe first, then we can worry about OC down the road. Other steps beyond that would be OC where no one hassles you, and then Constitutional Carry. But none of that is going to happen while we're still on thin ice - with a hostile GA and Gov, and with a public that has yet to see the benefits of where we're headed. Baby steps. We can still lose this thing; let's not lose it because we shot ourselves in the foot in our haste.

Pssst,

(1) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:

(i) wear, carry, or transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, on or about the person;

(ii) wear, carry, or knowingly transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, in a vehicle traveling on a road or parking lot generally used by the public, highway, waterway, or airway of the State;
    (b) Exceptions.- This section does not prohibit:

(2) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person to whom a permit to wear, carry, or transport the handgun has been issued under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article;

If one receives a MD Carry permit, they may carry openly or concealed per 4-203

rglrguy

Dec 15, 2010
    Harford
    Not sure what you mean by this? You mean people will show up to places like the courthouse CC and be pissed because they're not allowed in armed?

I'm sure that will happen. No sarcasm...I mean it.

I think he means someone will show up in Walmart open carrying an 8" barrel hogleg revolver and then be beligerant with responding officers.

While it is legal there are ways to bring OC into the public eye that are less threatening to the masses.

Samuel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 12, 2012
    What exactly of the background check takes 8hrs? (For your most basic, clean history applicant.) That seems like a ridiculous amount of time to me.

They've got 3 references, and maybe a few employers to contact which would take, what, maybe an hour and a half tops? They've got the NICS system & fingerprints which are done by someone else. An interview which takes a couple hours tops, including travel time. What else is there, assuming no medical history to investigate?

Walter

May 23, 2010
    I am a supporter of OC, but doing so now is just plain old stupid.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't want to be arrested or have an Officer Dougherty-type cop aim a gun at my head.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom