SBR idea: Will Ruger sell you the barrel assembly from the Charger Takedown?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    So in another thread I mentioned how the 10/22 Takedown Marine is on sale at Palmetto for $250 right now. That's a really good price, and it got me thinking:

Will Ruger sell you just the barrel / forend assembly for a Charger Takedown pistol?

Because it would be pretty damn great to buy a 10/22 takedown rifle, register it as an SBR, and then have the Charger front end to attach to it when you wanted to go SBR. That with a suppressor on it would make a nice package.

Sure, you could SBR one and cut the rifle barrel, but it would be really cool to be able to configure it a bunch of ways depending on what and how you wanted to shoot that day.

So, does Ruger sell these? It doesn't look like it from a quick search, but can you maybe get them anywhere else?

Last edited:

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Have you called them? They're nice folks - sent me a few scope base screws for free when I needed them. Worth a shot.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Chargers are now available as take-downs.

I know. :)

What I'm asking is if Ruger will sell you JUST the barrel / forend assembly from a Charger Takedown, so you could mount that on a 10/22 Takedown that had been registered as an SBR.

Edit:
    Derp. I just realized that my original post was poorly written and didn't specifically mention the Charger Takedown and made it seem like I was talking about a regular Charger. I'll go fix it.

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    Can you just put a rifle stock on a takedown charger?

It will be a SBR, but yes, that's probably easier and less expensive.

I think he's more looking for ability to quick change between a short barrel and standard barrel. Kinda neat idea. Not sure what the point is though? :shrug:

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Can you just put a rifle stock on a takedown charger?

I could, sure. I don't have my HQL though, so there's that.

I think he's more looking for ability to quick change between a short barrel and standard barrel. Kinda neat idea. Not sure what the point is though? :shrug:

Yeah, I thought it would be neat to basically have two (or four, with a suppressor) guns in one. It'd make a neat toy.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Oh yeah the HQL; I get it. I was an HQL holdout prior to emancipation to another state. I can see the different barrels idea also.

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    Chargers are now available as take-downs.

I know. :)

What I'm asking is if Ruger will sell you JUST the barrel / forend assembly from a Charger Takedown, so you could mount that on a 10/22 Takedown that had been registered as an SBR.

Edit:
    Derp. I just realized that my original post was poorly written and didn't specifically mention the Charger Takedown and made it seem like I was talking about a regular Charger. I'll go fix it.

When these came out, I seem to recall my FFL telling me that they specifically designed the charger takedown different from the 10/22 takedown so that people could not do what you are wanting to do (without the tax stamp)

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Now, I have not read all the feedback here, so....hahahaha

Tactical Innovations sells a barrel with a built in suppressor, all in one piece that you just plop plop, drop in the barrel. After appropriate paper work of course :-). Plus, if you wanted a shorter barrel for it,m they sell that also, as does E.A.Brown and co ....JFYI :-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom