• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rsj1231

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2013
    Harford County
    If OAL is a huge concern you could build or buy yourself an SBR or upper for cheaper than the Tavor. You'll have to wait awhile for your stamp but you'll have a platform that's been proven for a very long time.

This picture gives a pretty good illustration of the similarities. With that all being said, I still want a Tavor just to have. Is it next on my list? No. Not until after I collect a few more stamps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      93.1 KB · Views: 330

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    And some people hate 40's, so to each their own. There is a reason agencies use what they do. Not a fan of either but there must be a solid reason for their existence.
    I just know I'd like to have Hitchcock's resources and range.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Funny to hear the AR platform being called well proven, reliable, etc.

After all the stuff in the 60s when it was introduced. Even into the 80s, many people could not stand the Mickey Mouse toy rifle.

And history, the Israelis used the FAL and liked it, but it wasn't great in sand. AK was great in sand, but they had other issues with it. So the combined the features of both and developed the Galil.

The liked the AUG, but again, not great in sand. So they took what they knew of firearms that work in sandy environments and developed the Tavor.

Tavor works much better and more reliably than the AR did for the first 5 years of life.

zombie killer

Sep 11, 2013
    If OAL is a huge concern you could build or buy yourself an SBR or upper for cheaper than the Tavor. You'll have to wait awhile for your stamp but you'll have a platform that's been proven for a very long time.

This picture gives a pretty good illustration of the similarities. With that all being said, I still want a Tavor just to have. Is it next on my list? No. Not until after I collect a few more stamps.

Sure you can build an SBR for OAL but you lose velocity with the shorter barrel, as opposed to the 16-18" barrel on the tavor. That being said, I have both a tavor and a couple SBRs.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    The Tavor is better suited for CQB/ MOUT due to its shorter lenght. Its also easier to keep in the ready position for extended periods of time. it seems like the perfect gun for what the Israelis designed it for. The AR with its bizillion calibers and configurations is hard to beat. But it too had flaws. No gun is perfect anyways.

But since Maryland residents can only have a choice between a AR HBAR or a 29"+ Tavor and no new AKs... The Tavor isnt really a bad alternative. With production catching up and prices going down, it may be something to consider.

Initially, i hated the damn thing. I also hated Glocks when they first came out.

My 16" tavor did havd issues during the first 300 rounds.. Mostly FTF, since I can only use Russian steel cased ammo, it wasnt a fair assessment. It has to issues with brass cased 5.56.

After 300 rounds, I ran half a case of Wolf steel cased through it.... The FTF issues went away. Now, im running it suppressed with an eotech/3x magnifier. Its been flawless so far. In fact, the can increases reliability and it seems to function better with a can attached.

Ive let folks at the range shoot it. Everyone likes the Tavor. Especially when shot unsupported. This is where it shines

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Here's another picture...

Extend the stock on the SBR to get the same LOP. AR is then longer than the two bullpups. Also a big velocity difference. BPs are goofy looking (now) but are the future of warfare.

Apples and oranges.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    First one the shop got we broke in 10 mins. I don't have pictures. I have no vested interest in the success or failure of the Tavor. I stated a personal opinion as a Gunsmith.

Next, where are the suppliers for replacement parts? Machines break, even one I like. If there are suppliers I will concede this part of my dislike.

Would you buy a car that you cant get parts for?

Don't burst the bubble of those that think just because the Israelis use something, that automatically means it's the cat's ass.

rsj1231

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2013
    Harford County
    The Tavor is better suited for CQB/ MOUT due to its shorter lenght. Its also easier to keep in the ready position for extended periods of time. it seems like the perfect gun for what the Israelis designed it for. The AR with its bizillion calibers and configurations is hard to beat. But it too had flaws. No gun is perfect anyways.

But since Maryland residents can only have a choice between a AR HBAR or a 29"+ Tavor and no new AKs... The Tavor isnt really a bad alternative. With production catching up and prices going down, it may be something to consider.

Initially, i hated the damn thing. I also hated Glocks when they first came out.

My 16" tavor did havd issues during the first 300 rounds.. Mostly FTF, since I can only use Russian steel cased ammo, it wasnt a fair assessment. It has to issues with brass cased 5.56.

After 300 rounds, I ran half a case of Wolf steel cased through it.... The FTF issues went away. Now, im running it suppressed with an eotech/3x magnifier. Its been flawless so far. In fact, the can increases reliability and it seems to function better with a can attached.

Ive let folks at the range shoot it. Everyone likes the Tavor. Especially when shot unsupported. This is where it shines

What suppressor are you running? I plan to use my Surefire Socom whenever my stamp clears. Do the inner plastic parts gets excessively dirty and is it easy to take apart for cleaning?

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    To each their own but to me I look at the pictures posted by RSJ and the Aug and the Tavor next to the AR just look bloated. The AR just looks....I don't know.....right. Where the other two look like there something pumped out by the Nurf company. If I had to guess I'm also going to say the AR is the lighter rifle....

thai

May 8, 2013
    I was not interested in the Tavor until I found out knuckle head MOM will forbid me from owning one after 10/1 due to OAL. So I bought one and a shitload of other firearms. I figured it was the quickest way to get another SBR. And being 16 inches it will have more uses at longer ranges. It was promised that the Tavor will have the ability to change barrels and other components later.

I am still not at all excited about the Tavor but do not in any way regret my purchase. It is a versatile close to medium quarter/range rifle. I had the funds to purchase this rifle without sacrificing other desired firearms, I got all I wanted just before the deadline.

As long as the Tavor is reliable and can shoot better than an AK47, I am happy. Thus far, it has proven to be so. I am not a a fanboy of everything Isreali since this is my first Isreali made firearm, but I am a firm believer that they will certainly put outfirst class product, something I cannot say of many American firearms manufacturers.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    What suppressor are you running? I plan to use my Surefire Socom whenever my stamp clears. Do the inner plastic parts gets excessively dirty and is it easy to take apart for cleaning?

I'm running an AAC M42k. It's really not that dirty after firing suppressed. My Ar get dirtier

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      80.4 KB · Views: 212

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Inside after 200 rounds of wolf. Suppressed. It just takes a bit more time to clean as the internals are harder to get to compared to an Ar.

The piston was the only thing that got filthy. The surface was coated with caked up soot. It did clean off with just as paper towel. The amount of soot inside the receiver is less compared to an AR using the same can and round count. Surprisingly....has piston noise is also mitigated by the enclosed design, making the Tavor a good suppressor host

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      39.8 KB · Views: 209

50bmg

Sep 24, 2011
    Towson, MD
    The tavor is a pretty sweet setup. I prefer the AUG, but both have merits over an AR or other conventional rifle platform due to OAL without going the NFA route.

In MD the Tavor has real advantages since it's still accessible for purchase.

I enjoy mine quite a bit and have never had issues with it. Everyone that shoots it loves it, despite the trigger being a little stiff. Additionally, I like the way it looks, but since that's subjective, I find it funny that a platform is then judged based on its looks and not its function.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    What I do know: If Clandestine says something sucks - his views carry a lot of weight with me.

^ I was on fire to get a MD compliant Tavor until I read that. Maybe another 6721 would be a better choice (at half the cost to boot).

You have to make that call. Im just conveying my opinion.

I know some of the people who are involved in importing these things and they know my screen name. Im sure Ill hear about my comments, but they still stand.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Here are some stuff on my Tavor wishlist.

Raised rail like the AUG A3 for better cheekweld with AR type optics and irons
    Heavier barrel
    Better trigger
    Mag release similar to an Ar or the x95
    Adjustable gas system that is vented onto the handguard area for easy cleaning when suppressed.
    Slimmer contour of the stock , the Tavor is heavy compared to other MSRs
    Steel safety selector
    Better rear Buis with dual aperture peeps, large hole for faster acquisition.

rsj1231

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2013
    Harford County
    I'm running an AAC M42k. It's really not that dirty after firing suppressed. My Ar get dirtier

Inside after 200 rounds of wolf. Suppressed. It just takes a bit more time to clean as the internals are harder to get to compared to an Ar.

The piston was the only thing that got filthy. The surface was coated with caked up soot. It did clean off with just as paper towel. The amount of soot inside the receiver is less compared to an AR using the same can and round count. Surprisingly....has piston noise is also mitigated by the enclosed design, making the Tavor a good suppressor host

Very cool, thanks for the pics.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom