• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    Well I guess if the Gov't/anyone takes on the responsibility for doing a task they should be held accountable for actually doing said task. Thats all I'm saying if you can't hold .gov accountable for doing the job they claim is their sole responsibility then maybe we need to have a different conversation.

So I think this may be a good thing to start that conversation.....sorry for using that term but.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    they should be required to get treatment, and take their prescribed meds if they're to be allowed to walk free in society.

And just how will that be accomplished? I have a family member that, when not medicated,has the tendency to become an unpredictable violent sociopath.For 50 years nobody has been able to force him to take his meds. Not the state, not his wife, nobody. The only saving grace is that he seems to be mellowing a bit in hos old age, just a bit.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Being a violent "hothead" should be treated as mental illness. I have had coworkers over the years with hair triggers who would get violent over minor disagreements, perceived insults, and traffic issues. Gun, fists, chair, doesn't matter what weapon they have access to, they're an unpredictable danger to others. Imprison them permanently as criminals? No, that wouldn't be fair; they just can't control themselves. But once they've proven they can't control themselves to the extent they commit acts of violence against others, they should be required to get treatment, and take their prescribed meds if they're to be allowed to walk free in society.

That is a very slippery slope. Some cases are a no-brainer, but think about how that could be abused....

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    :sarcasm: We should make it a crime to not take your medicine which will fix everything just like passing gun laws stops gun crime.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    That is a very slippery slope. Some cases are a no-brainer, but think about how that could be abused....

I'd limit it to people who have been convicted of violent crime against others first. It's more humane than locking people up and throwing away the key, while also being more effective at crime prevention than the current revolving door justice system that puts violent offenders right back out on the streets quickly to find new victims. And, of course, due process protections would be an absolute must.

Protecting society as a whole requires removing some rights from those who harm others. There's a sweet, liberty-preserving spot somewhere between anarchy and China-style total repression with its persistent, pervasive surveillance. I just don't think we've found that spot yet and are still experimenting as a society.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    VA was also shamed into fixing things by the mental health issues related to the Virginia Tech shooter. The General Assembly got it's act together and made changes to the laws that closed loopholes & fixed problems that allowed the Tech shooter to purchase his handguns
    That was not just Virginia, but also problems found to have been introduced in many states due to new federal HIPAA

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Being a violent "hothead" should be treated as mental illness. I have had coworkers over the years with hair triggers who would get violent over minor disagreements, perceived insults, and traffic issues. Gun, fists, chair, doesn't matter what weapon they have access to, they're an unpredictable danger to others. Imprison them permanently as criminals? No, that wouldn't be fair; they just can't control themselves. But once they've proven they can't control themselves to the extent they commit acts of violence against others, they should be required to get treatment, and take their prescribed meds if they're to be allowed to walk free in society.

And for anger disorders there usually isn’t a pill you can take...

Partly my point of sometime you do have to restrict the rights of some people to protect everyone else. To what extent and when is a good conversation. The least, to the fewest the least often IMHO, but none to no one ever also isn’t a solution.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    And for anger disorders there usually isn’t a pill you can take...

Partly my point of sometime you do have to restrict the rights of some people to protect everyone else. To what extent and when is a good conversation. The least, to the fewest the least often IMHO, but none to no one ever also isn’t a solution.

This boils down to "Due Process." If the State goes about it correctly and fairly it is possible and reasonable to restrict ones's rights but Due Process is a must.

Sirex