• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    We've had, what? Two or three consecutive days without rain here in Frederick? That's gotta be a record! The other amazing thing was that I was actually at-home, on staycation, when it happened. What are the odds?

I put 100 more thru the Commander and noted a major difference in sight alignment needed to successfully engage the pins on the bottom row, compared to the pins on the upper row. The pins on the upper row are easy to hit but, I have a tendency to aim too low at the ones on the bottom row. That was an easy fix, though. By the time I was finished this afternoon, I was getting them all in less than 8 seconds. That's still pretty lame, yet, it's something I'll continue to work-on and (hopefully) improve. The Commander is just a pleasure to shoot. It definitely has a preference for Geco 230gr FMJ.

No complaints about today! It was warm but I feel like I'm starting to get my mojo back again.

Last edited:

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    My staycation starts tomorrow! I already have plans to head to Peacemaker in WV to gets some good dope on some rifles out to 300 yards.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    My staycation starts tomorrow! I already have plans to head to Peacemaker in WV to gets some good dope on some rifles out to 300 yards.

That's how ya do a staycation! :cool:

I've got at least one or two more range trips planned for this week. Today was awesome. It felt productive and enlightening. That's about as good as it gets.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I shoot six days a week. My office is two blocks from an indoor range. Dry fire at night, live fire during the day. 600-700 rounds a week.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: I want your job!

I try to get out to a match every other week and live-fire practice in-between match Saturdays. I dry-fire every night I'm home which, unfortunately, hasn't been all that often lately.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Videos were great. Nice job filming on your own. Your delivery sounds a bit like Hickok45. Half expected the pins to explode like 2 liter soda bottles. Glorious day to be at the range.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Videos were great. Nice job filming on your own. Your delivery sounds a bit like Hickok45. Half expected the pins to explode like 2 liter soda bottles. Glorious day to be at the range.

I was asked to remove them but, thanks! LOL

Last edited:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I want your job!

I try to get out to a match every other week and live-fire practice in-between match Saturdays. I dry-fire every night I'm home which, unfortunately, hasn't been all that often lately.

I think I've spent at least one weekend day the last three months shooting a match of some kind. Saturday I'm shooting a 2-gun match at Quantico. You should try out the falling steel matches at Peacemaker.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    We've had, what? Two or three consecutive days without rain here in Frederick? That's gotta be a record! The other amazing thing was that I was actually at-home, on staycation, when it happened. What are the odds?

So today I had a chance to go out and practice shooting pins with my new Combat Commander. Shooting at paper bullseye targets is one thing but, shooting at pins...that's a whole 'nother thang. It's a lot more difficult than it looks and if you don't think so, I personally invite you to come out and give it a try. Seriously. Send me a PM.

I put 100 more thru the Commander and noted a major difference in sight alignment needed to successfully engage the pins on the bottom row, compared to the pins on the upper row. The pins on the upper row are easy to hit but, I have a tendency to aim too low at the ones on the bottom row. That was an easy fix, though. By the time I was finished this afternoon, I was getting them all in less than 8 seconds. That's still pretty lame, yet, it's something I'll continue to work-on and (hopefully) improve. The Commander is just a pleasure to shoot. It definitely has a preference for Geco 230gr FMJ.

No complaints about today! It was warm but I feel like I'm starting to get my mojo back again.

thanks for the offer. I might hit you up some time just to come watch a match and see what it's like.

Last edited by a moderator:

Techputz

MDS Supporter
    Mar 31, 2019
    Owings Mills, MD
    That CZ is beautiful! I pick up my CZ 75 BD & P01 this weekend. Can't wait to shoot them, hopefully one day I can pick up a Shadow like yours. Thanks for sharing

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I would be interested in meeting up one time, never shot pins before. Got plenty of 45 :)

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I would be interested in meeting up one time, never shot pins before. Got plenty of 45 :)

I started doing it back in the mid-80's as a way to stay sharp during the Winter months. We had an indoor range that hosted them and the rules were pretty simple: two classes, stock auto and stock revolver, no optics, no modifications (beyond a trigger job), mow-down 5 pins as fast as you can. That's it. Some clubs require a holster draw; other clubs want you to start from a tabletop. I've done it both ways and definitely prefer a holster draw. Some clubs use real wooden bowling pins; some use pin-shaped steel plates. Trust me, real pins increase the degree of difficulty by 50% or more.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom