• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kennyc01

Apr 30, 2008
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Ok.. I searched and read and my brain is now properly fried.

I am filling out form 1 right now as an individual since we no longer needs CLEO sign-off. I think I know what I need to fill out for form 1 that I downloaded from ATF, which has duplicate parts. Now comes the questions.

1. Do I need to fill out ATF 5020.23 responsible person questionnaire if I file as an individual? (I don't think I need to.. I think form 1 covers that)

2. Do I keep ATF Copy 2? "To Be Returned to Registrant" (I think I should send the first 2 to ATF, and send the CLEO copy to MSP)

3. How many passport photo/finger print card do I need? (I am guessing 2 of each - one set to ATF, the other to MSP)

That's all the questions from what's left of my brain. Any assistance is really appreciate it!

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Ok.. I searched and read and my brain is now properly fried.

Don't feel bad. It was a crazy process to begin with, and last year's changes disrupted a system that people had generally finally figured out.

1. Do I need to fill out ATF 5020.23 responsible person questionnaire if I file as an individual? (I don't think I need to.. I think form 1 covers that)

No. If you're doing it as an individual, just use the Form 1.

2. Do I keep ATF Copy 2? "To Be Returned to Registrant" (I think I should send the first 2 to ATF, and send the CLEO copy to MSP)

Absolutely do not keep that. Send it to the ATF. That's what they eventually send back to you with your stamp on it.

3. How many passport photo/finger print card do I need? (I am guessing 2 of each - one set to ATF, the other to MSP)

That part I'm honestly not sure of off the top of my head. I *think* that you have to submit two sets, but I don't know for sure.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Send two sets of prints to the ATF. Attach one photo to each copy of your completed form 1. (Do not staple)
    Only attach picture to the forms being sent to the ATF.

No photo or prints to MSP, they are not doing a background check, you are just notifying them.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Thanks guys! I really appreciate it!

Attach a photo to each copy you send to the ATF. Sorry, I don't think I worded that,well. Here are the instructions for photo and prints.

e. f. g. h. i. j. k. Photographs and Fingerprints. An individual maker (including any Federally licensed collector who is an individual but not any other type of Federal firearms licensee) must (1) attach to each copy in item 12 of the ATF Form 1, a 2 inch x 2 inch photograph of his/her frontal view taken within one year prior to the date of the application and (2) submit two properly completed FBI Forms FD-258 (Fingerprint Card with blue lines) with application. The fingerprints must be clear for accurate classification and taken by someone properly equipped to take them

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Send two sets of prints to the ATF. Attach one photo to each copy of your completed form 1. (Do not staple)
    Only attach picture to the forms being sent to the ATF.

No photo or prints to MSP, they are not doing a background check, you are just notifying them.

I updated this post to make it more clear.

quattroginger

Feb 22, 2013
    side question to this after reading initial post. is notifying MSP something new for form 1s? i had not come across that. is this for both individual and trust? just curious. i have 2 stamps i have been trying to finish up and did it under my trust last year.

kennyc01

Apr 30, 2008
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Yep. There is a new form 1 that has 3 parts and the last part goes to MSP but only to notify them. If you file as individual now you do not require CLEO sign off anymore. You would only need to let them know you are filing a form 1.

I don't think this affect you if you have filed prior. only for new submissions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom