• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Has anyone ever ported the barrel of their short-barrel shotgun? Did it help with recoil at all? I'm thinking about porting the barrel of my 14" Shockwave Mossberg and wondering if it's worth the effort.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    And would porting cause any extra flash at night? Or it that over-thinking things?

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    I kind of feel like porting isn't a great idea. Wouldn't a lot of gas escape too? I feel like you'd deafen, blind, and maybe burn yourself. But I could be dead wrong.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I went from a non ported 18" barrel to a ported 14" SBS. No difference whatsoever in felt recoil. As a matter of fact, I'm not a fan of the porting. Makes cleaning the barrel a bit more tedious.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I went from a non ported 18" barrel to a ported 14" SBS. No difference whatsoever in felt recoil. As a matter of fact, I'm not a fan of the porting. Makes cleaning the barrel a bit more tedious.

"No difference...". Thank you. I thought that might be the case, but wanted to hear from someone who had done it. (As opposed to someone who offers the service.)

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    "No difference...". Thank you. I thought that might be the case, but wanted to hear from someone who had done it. (As opposed to someone who offers the service.)

Ahahah. Reread his post.

He went from an 18" non ported shortgun to a 14" ported shotgun with no change in recoil. Which meant that the porting was effective because a 14" barrel will recoil more. Less weight and control means more recoil. Now if recoil management is desired on a 14" barrel shotgun or firearm there are 4 options.

The first and most important is proper technique.
    The second is increase muscle mass
    The third is porting or various recoil reducing stocks and such. Also shooting reduced recoil loads.
    The fourth is adding weight to the gun.

What do you want help with?

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Ahahah. Reread his post.

He went from an 18" non ported shortgun to a 14" ported shotgun with no change in recoil. Which meant that the porting was effective because a 14" barrel will recoil more. Less weight and control means more recoil. Now if recoil management is desired on a 14" barrel shotgun or firearm there are 4 options.

The first and most important is proper technique.
    The second is increase muscle mass
    The third is porting or various recoil reducing stocks and such. Also shooting reduced recoil loads.
    The fourth is adding weight to the gun.

What do you want help with?

I doubt the weight reduction from 18" to 14" makes any difference.

I'm not sure it makes a difference either. I've also shot my friend/MDS member's 14" non ported and it felt the same as mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom