• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    What is good news, is that MDpetitions got 10,000 signatures more than they needed.

However, that is the smallest margin so far...

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    Let's hope that enough of those signatures are "validated" by July 23. From the WBAL article that Inigoes kindly linked:

"The signatures have to be verified by the Maryland State Board of Elections which must complete the process by July 23."

If we indeed have enough valid signatures, I'm considering making a nice donation to whatever group(s) will run the PR campaign to support the referendum.

There is not doubt in my mind that the opposing powers that be (Dem incumbents) will dump big money into their campaign - of course, it will somehow be spun as being "for the children, education, and public safely, etc." like usual....

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I'm glad it got enough signatures.

To me; this and the dream act were the big issues.

Unfortunately, redistricting is boring

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    SunPapers editorial

Government by referendum?
    Our view: Redistricting effort will determine whether a recent flurry of petitions is a fad

Typical of the Sun.

A back-handed slap to every one of Neil Parrot's referendums, and I take issue with their assessment. It's NOT a fad, it's the people finally saying that they have had enough of Owe'Malley, his cronies, and the direction the state has taken. If a referendum is the ONLY way we can make our voice heard in state government, then so be it. Even our 2A efforts were heard loud and clear this year. We may not have gotten CCW (yet), but we stopped Frosh and his cohorts dead in their tracks.

Let's show them at the polls in November. We have 13,534 members on MDShooters. If each of us are against the proposed redistricting plan, spread the word and get out the VOTE. :party29:

Show Owe'Malley, Miller, and Busch (and Frosh) that we're mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore. :mad54:

3/2ACR Vet

Jul 6, 2012
    Baltimore City
    Why would anyone sign that petition?

It doesn't explain at all any reason why this redistricting is bad other than splitting up minority districts to weaken their voting power.

Shouldn't republicans be happy for that, since minorities historically overwhelmingly support the democratic party since about the 50's?

If I were to sign a petition like that, I'd prefer that it have a before and after picture, and a DETAILED description of exactly why I should be concerned, not vague references that basically boil down to "it's bad cuz we says so".

The only thing negative to republicans I can see from the vague implications of the petition page is that some of the traditionally Republican districts in maryland, where the republican representatives have run unopposed for years, will actually have to face a challenger for their seats.

Now, if those representatives are truly the best choice for the people, they shouldn't have problems keeping their seats, right?

And how is this any different from what is being done in republican controlled states, like Utah, among others? or is it okay when republicans do it, just not when democrats do?

Now, I've noticed a tendency for people who go against the herd get flamed to ashes in threads like these..... but please, before you do, a little information.

I'm not a democrat, nor am I a republican.

I'm an honest moderate who is asking these questions because I wish to gain information. Flaming me won't help the cause...

I want to know why I should sign this petition, or should vote against this redistricting, if a vote is taken.

And the tinfoil hat "Democrat conspiracy" stuff doesn't wash.....

EDIT---I retract some of the things I've said about the petition lacking in detail. apparently, the tabs at the top did not render for me the first time I viewed the site, so I missed the detailed maps of the new districting. However, the snarky sarcastic commentary provided along with those maps failed to answer my basic question that still stands "Why is this a bad redistricting? "

Honestly, someone please tell me why I should think this redistricting is a bad idea, other than disrespectful jabs at the Governor.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010

I'm an honest moderate who is asking these questions because I wish to gain information. Flaming me won't help the cause...

I want to know why I should sign this petition, or should vote against this redistricting, if a vote is taken.

EDIT---I retract some of the things I've said about the petition lacking in detail. apparently, the tabs at the top did not render for me the first time I viewed the site, so I missed the detailed maps of the new districting. However, the snarky sarcastic commentary provided along with those maps failed to answer my basic question that still stands "Why is this a bad redistricting? "

Honestly, someone please tell me why I should think this redistricting is a bad idea, other than disrespectful jabs at the Governor.

<FLAME ON>

First ... Maybe you should make sure that your computer is in good working order BEFORE you flame. It's a poor carpenter who blames his tools.

Second ... If you REALLY are the HONEST moderate you claim to be, do your OWN damn research. It's easy ... GOOGLE it. And, BEFORE posting such an inane ramble in the Water Cooler section of a gun forum, use the "New Posts (No WC)" button to avoid the flames that seem to bother you a LOT.

Third ... The 'good governor' doesn't care a fig about the people of Maryland as shown by his whirlwind media tours in his ascendency to the throne of POTUS. And just like the national media caters to Obama, Owe'Malley gets a pass from the Baltimore Sun. Try reading more than what's left in your paper box every afternoon or 'disrespectful jobs' on MDShooters, if you want a 'fair and balanced' view.

Fourth ... Minorities aren't being 'served' by the proposed redistricting plan. They are being further enslaved by the MD Democratic machine that has historically pandered for their vote, has remained in power by gerrymandering, and continues to manipulate demographic statistics to that end. And speaking of GOOGLE ... Black group charges racial gerrymandering in new congressional districts and may file suit It's easy, TRY IT.

<FLAME OFF>

P.S. Welcome to MDShooters ...

3/2ACR Vet

Jul 6, 2012
    Baltimore City
    Yeah, sorry.

It's obvious I don't have the ability to articulate the point I was trying to get help on without causing friction, so I'm just going to keep away from anything political here and stick to guns and shooting.

Sorry for rocking the boat

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Ask yourself one question:

A politician is supposed to represent the people who elect him.

How can a politician represent the interests of suburban MoCo residents who live 20 minutes from DC and the interests of rual Marylanders who may still farm, do agriculture, live in small towns, etc?

That is my issue with three of the districts.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    The problem with that map is that it is so blatantly disgusting, it doesn't fairly represent the constituents of the state.

My district is one block away from a district that shares Northern and Eastern Baltimore County, Anne Arundel, Harford and Cecil county (The 2nd district). Yet my district shares parts of Baltimore Co., Baltimore City, and AA counties and a smattering of god knows where...after all, it's like someone filled up some water balloons with paint of different colors and told the kiddies have fun painting the map.

The point is, that these lines are barely contiguous and do not fairly represent the particular interests of the people. Is it Gerrymandered? Absolutely. Is that a bad thing? Not entirely. However, it should at least fairly represent the geographical & population densities of the state, and to that end, it doesn't.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    The problem with that map is that it is so blatantly disgusting, it doesn't fairly represent the constituents of the state.

The point is, that these lines are barely contiguous and do not fairly represent the particular interests of the people. Is it Gerrymandered? Absolutely. Is that a bad thing? Not entirely. However, it should at least fairly represent the geographical & population densities of the state, and to that end, it doesn't.

Gerrymandering IS a bad thing. Instead of representing the population, it divides a geography by voting block thus guaranteeing seats for the ruling party.

Even if people move from a bad neighborhood, schools, or high taxes, they still could end up lumped in with the same area they were trying to escape from. Imagine if gerrymandering were allowed on a national level and you had to pay the same income tax in VA as we do in the PRofMD ? See my point ? It's wealth redistribution at a geo-political level and there is no easy way to escape it.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Gerrymandering IS a bad thing. Instead of representing the population, it divides a geography by voting block thus guaranteeing seats for the ruling party.

Even if people move from a bad neighborhood, schools, or high taxes, they still could end up lumped in with the same area they were trying to escape from. Imagine if gerrymandering were allowed on a national level and you had to pay the same income tax in VA as we do in the PRofMD ? See my point ? It's wealth redistribution at a geo-political level and there is no easy way to escape it.
    On a political/social/philosophical/moral judgement, yes, Gerrymandering is disgusting; unfortunately, there is that whole jurisprudence thing that says "yeah it's ok."

I'm starting to see a theme about jurisprudence, Constitutionality, and how it really does impact "We the People."

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    2 biggest problems with the new map, IMO:

1) Gov. O’Malley’s Congressional redistricting map, plainly gerrymandered to increase the number of Democratic delegates Maryland sends to the U.S. House of Representatives from six to seven (decreasing the number of Republicans from two to one). This is as much a national issue as it is a Maryland issue.

2) I live in a very conservative area (formerly District 1), previously represented by Andy Harris (R). Under this new map, I am now in District 4 and represented by Donna Edwards (D). This new map literally splits my neighborhood in half. Why? See number 1 above.

Last edited:

cad68m_m

Member MSI, SAF, NRA
    Nov 26, 2011
    Calvert
    2 biggest problems with the new map, IMO:

1) Gov. O’Malley’s Congressional redistricting map, plainly gerrymandered to increase the number of Democratic delegates Maryland sends to the U.S. House of Representatives from six to seven (decreasing the number of Republicans from two to one). This is as much a national issue as it is a Maryland issue.

2) I live in a very conservative area (formerly District 1), previously represented by Andy Harris (R). Under this new map, I am now in District 4 and represented by Donna Edwards (D). This new map literally splits my neighborhood in half. Why? See number 1 above.

:thumbsup:

Different District similar result Gerrymandering is bad

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon

It doesn't explain at all any reason why this redistricting is bad other than splitting up minority districts to weaken their voting power.

Shouldn't republicans be happy for that, since minorities historically overwhelmingly support the democratic party since about the 50's?

If I were to sign a petition like that, I'd prefer that it have a before and after picture, and a DETAILED description of exactly why I should be concerned, not vague references that basically boil down to "it's bad cuz we says so".

The only thing negative to republicans I can see from the vague implications of the petition page is that some of the traditionally Republican districts in maryland, where the republican representatives have run unopposed for years, will actually have to face a challenger for their seats.

Now, if those representatives are truly the best choice for the people, they shouldn't have problems keeping their seats, right?

And how is this any different from what is being done in republican controlled states, like Utah, among others? or is it okay when republicans do it, just not when democrats do?

Now, I've noticed a tendency for people who go against the herd get flamed to ashes in threads like these..... but please, before you do, a little information.

Are you serious or are you just a libtard with blinders? No such thing as moderate. Take a look at the districts in the so called republican controlled states. They don't look like the viens in your body. Most are blocks that cut up the state. I was lucky enough to watch a power point on this about a year ago. This state is as crocked as the distric map is.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    GOOOOAAAAALLLLLL !!!

Foes of congressional map meet target
    Referendum likely after state board says group has enough signatures

BaltimoreSun.com -
    A Republican-led group trying to repeal Maryland's new congressional map has gathered enough valid signatures to trigger a referendum, the State Board of Elections said Wednesday.

The map — which one federal judge called a "blatant political gerrymander" — was the result of the once-a-decade redistricting that must take into account population changes found by the census. But Democrats have acknowledged it was designed to give their party a strong chance of picking up a seventh seat in Maryland's eight-member delegation to the U.S. House of Representatives.

That makes at least three referendums for November. If there just some way to add CCW as a ballot issue.

Last edited:

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    :goodpost:

HOLY CRAP!!!!!

WE DID IT!!!!!!!!

High fives all around! :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

As the OP of this thread, I would like to thank each and every one of you for signing and spreading the word. No doubt it was close.

EDIT: also, a special thanks to edleary1227 for all he does on so many issues.

I didn't find out 'till just now when I cracked open the Crapital (ahem, the Annapolis Capital newspaper that I always run over in my driveway when I get home late...). They did a terrible piece on the story. Here's the online version is you have brain cells to waste: http://www.capitalgazette.com/news/government/congressional-boundaries-headed-for-referendum/article_6a065b5a-e345-5b62-90a9-6d26f21feea2.html

Now, we still have to tell our friends and neighbors to vote the correct way in November. There is no doubt that the MD estabishment will pull any stunt that they can to make it go their way. Because to them, it's "...for the children" right?

:party29::bowdown::clap::bannana::mdpatriot

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    Thank you fellow citizens. Mr. Delaney, while you are a nice guy- please keep your sushi, Acuras and Starbucks the hell out of fredneck. We'll take our pickups, bud light sheetz sandwiches and Roscoe, k thanks.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom