• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    A few weeks ago, I decided to hop on the Pocket 9 bandwagon. After handling several contenders that were available at my local shops (Keltec PF-9, Ruger LC-9, Walther PPS, etc.), I chose the Nano. I really liked the PPS also, but it really is a much larger gun. Had I been able to locate a Kahr CM-9 locally, or if the M&P Shield or Sig 938 were on the MD Roster, I may have made a different choice.

In reading Internet reviews and lurking other forums, the consensus on the Nano is pretty good, if not mixed. Some don't like the ergos ("boxy" and top heavy) - neither are an issue for me, I like the looks and it balances well with a loaded mag and a firm grip. Also, it seems that some people have had issues feeding cheap 115 grain FMJ. So of course, after I picked it up last Friday, I immediately headed to the range with a Walmart Party Mix, as well as some "good" 124g ammo.

I had no problems with any ammo. I ran about 120 rounds - no issues of any kind. It took a while to get a feel for the loooong DAO-type trigger pull. But once I did, I was able to hit Minute-of-Forehead at about 30 feet easy.

For me, the Nano is fairly easy to shoot despite it's small size and pinky dangle. It seems way easier to shoot than, say, a Ruger LCP, or even a Keltec PF-9, IMO. Follow-up shots are a pleasure as the Nano falls back on target nicely in my hand.

Construction seems very good. The slide fits very snug on the frame. There are no external controls on any kind, except for the mag release (which I reversed for lefty operation). Mine only came with one mag, which sucks. The mags are very nice, though - all metal. There is no slide release, the only way to release the slide is to slingshot it.

The ammo that I shot is listed below - most accurate listed first:
    Winchester 124g NATO
    S&B 115g FMJ
    Speer Lawman 124g FMJ
    Federal Champion 115g FMJ
    Tula 115g Steel FMJ
    WWB

Attachments

• nano3.jpg
      nano3.jpg
      83.7 KB · Views: 937
    • nano1.jpg
      nano1.jpg
      73.4 KB · Views: 947
    • nano2.jpg
      nano2.jpg
      61.7 KB · Views: 842
    • nano4.jpg
      nano4.jpg
      87.5 KB · Views: 879

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Glad to hear the report. I've been considering getting a Nano but, besides having to save up the money, I was concerned about the long threads in berettaforum complaining about FTF problems. I was wondering when the local reviews here on MDS would start showing up. Glad to hear you got a good one! I'm still considering one too - eventually...

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I really hate compact pistols but I have been wanting to FF this gun since its inception. I may have to coaxe you with promises of beer and ammo to try it out.

Where did you end up getting it from, just curious?

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    Glad to hear the report. I've been considering getting a Nano but, besides having to save up the money, I was concerned about the long threads in berettaforum complaining about FTF problems. I was wondering when the local reviews here on MDS would start showing up. Glad to hear you got a good one! I'm still considering one too - eventually...

Yeah, me too. I'm guessing they had early production issues? :shrug: Who knows.. I have learned to not take what I read in the Internetz too seriously.

I really hate compact pistols but I have been wanting to FF this gun since its inception. I may have to coaxe you with promises of beer and ammo to try it out.

Where did you end up getting it from, just curious?

Anytime! I'd love that. I work in Columbia, so we could meet at at range somewhere. :party29:

I bought it from Accurate Pawn and Tackle. Gus had it in stock. He may have another.

SimonDanger

Apr 11, 2012
    Annapolis
    It is my opinion that if you buy a Rolex you should get a sub-compact with it, kinda like when you would get a free lighter with a carton of cigs!

Heist

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2012
    MD/DC/NYC
    Nice.
    I've never been a pocket pistol guy (outside of the PPK), but this latest outcropping of pocket guns is beginning to make me take interest.
    Ruger Bodyguard, Kahr PM9, etc. I'll have to add this to the list.

Heist

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2012
    MD/DC/NYC
    That would be great marketing.

James Bond bundle: Buy an Omega, get a Walther PPK.

Bentley did it with Breitling.
    But you had to buy the Bentley. :)

Edit: Wait - that brings up something interesting. The new Bond movie, he's switching from Aston to a Bentley. Bentley has a relationship with Breitling. I wonder if Omega will have to be dumped?

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I love Beretta, but do not care for the looks of the Nano. Different strokes for different folks. I am not surprised that it is a good shooter.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    If you picked this up from 2A Sales&Supply I think I might have been in the shop when you decided to get it and Mark said he would hold it for you...

Anyhow, these tiny auto-loaders are the fastest selling pistols. I read somewhere that the LCP (I know it's a .380) was the #1 selling pistol 3 years in a row now.

I know several guys that have started CCW'ing more now than ever and are looking for something smaller/lighter to give them more carry options. The Nano looks to be a great competitor to the Solo, PM9, Shield, LC9, etc.

Thanks for the report!

Beretta-Nono-vs-Kel-Tec-PF9.jpg

http://www.homedefenseweapons.net/1069-beretta-nano-vs-kel-tec-pf9/

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    If you picked this up from 2A Sales&Supply I think I might have been in the shop when you decided to get it and Mark said he would hold it for you...

T'was not me... I visited 2A prior to buying my Nano down the street at Accurate Pawn. At the time, Mark didn't have any pocket 9's in stock. He did have a couple used Kahr K-9's, but they are a little larger than what I was looking for...

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback. I haven't been to Accurate pawn.

Any chance you can give us an update after you have a couple thousand rounds through it? My main issue with the LCP short life.

Absolutely!

That may take awhile though.. So far 250 rounds @ zero issues. :thumbsup:

It's ugly, but it's tiny, well made, and shoots surprisingly well...

Trogdor

Nov 13, 2011
    I have had a Nano for almost a year and have had zero malfuctions. I have also read about people having some issues but Beretta says the guns in designed to shoot minimum of 124 grain. I have shot quite a bit of 115 through it without trouble and my 124 and 147 grain HST run through it without any issue. I would say I have over 1000 rounds through it without issue, the majority of those being 115 grain and 147 grain ball.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom