• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • notagolfr

Jun 21, 2020
    Millersville
    Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone could chime in with the legalities of having a "truck gun" alongside my CCW while in my vehicle? The second weapon would of course be an AR pistol.

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    There are a lot of threads on "truck guns." Try a search on the term. The bottom line, as I understand it, in Maryland a long gun in your vehicle, unloaded, is legal. There are constraints. However, there are some jurisdictions with grandfathered prohibitions, such as Rockville. IANAL and do your own research. I might be missing something.

notagolfr

Jun 21, 2020
    Millersville
    There are a lot of threads on "truck guns." Try a search on the term. The bottom line, as I understand it, in Maryland a long gun in your vehicle, unloaded, is legal. There are constraints. However, there are some jurisdictions with grandfathered prohibitions, such as Rockville. IANAL and do your own research. I might be missing something.

I'm more talking about a second handgun that would be also loaded. I found another thread about it but it was full of people talking about carrying unloaded rifles without a HGP. I'm talking about a second handgun WITH a HGP in a vehicle.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The AR pistol will count as a handgun.
    Is there a law against CCWing two pistols? I don't know the answer to that.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    The AR pistol will count as a handgun.
    Is there a law against CCWing two pistols? I don't know the answer to that.

Not that I am aware of, I know of several folks that carry/carried multiple wheel guns (one of them is no longer a member here, but donated a set of Bongos to a shoot), on their wear and carry permit.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    The MD carry permit does NOT limit you to just one gun. And it does cover you on transporting one or more off of your person (say, inside your vehicle).

Now, here’s the tricky part: it seems nearly impossible to get a straight answer about how the police will handle you leaving a loaded gun in your car as you (for example) run into the grocery store. I know how I interpret things, but there are folks who insist that’s naughty. So your issue isn’t whether you can drive along with a car full of loaded handguns: you definitely can. The issue is can you walk away from your (locked, obviously) car full of loaded handguns.

notagolfr

Jun 21, 2020
    Millersville
    The MD carry permit does NOT limit you to just one gun. And it does cover you on transporting one or more off of your person (say, inside your vehicle).

Now, here’s the tricky part: it seems nearly impossible to get a straight answer about how the police will handle you leaving a loaded gun in your car as you (for example) run into the grocery store. I know how I interpret things, but there are folks who insist that’s naughty. So your issue isn’t whether you can drive along with a car full of loaded handguns: you definitely can. The issue is can you walk away from you (locked, obviously) car full of loaded handguns.

This was definitely my next obstacle, leaving a loaded AR pistol on your back seat in plain view is just asking for legal and extralegal problems. Finding a way to keep it accessible but also concealed and/or locked away.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not that I am aware of, I know of several folks that carry/carried multiple wheel guns (one of them is no longer a member here, but donated a set of Bongos to a shoot), on their wear and carry permit.

Suicide by perma-ban, if memory serves...

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The loaded long gun regulation is a DNR hunting regulation. As far as MD W&C relating to that, its undefined territory just like "bona fide collector". If a DNR officer brought you to a prosecutor with evidence that you WERE hunting, you would probably be toast. Leave your hunting license, camo and blaze orange at home.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    This was definitely my next obstacle, leaving a loaded AR pistol on your back seat in plain view is just asking for legal and extralegal problems. Finding a way to keep it accessible but also concealed and/or locked away.
    Why would you leave it in plain view? Throw it on the floor and cover it with something.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    THIS...
    rifle-storage.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member