• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    My father in law has slowly been moving me towards reloading for the past couple years, giving me a product for reloading each year and this year, I think I'm finally about to start... I've been in bass pro three times this week gathering various items I think I am going to need. I've been saving my .223, 5.56 and .45 ACP cases for awhile and am getting closer by the day. Here's my list of owned items. What else do I need to have to get started with the .223?

Lee 4 hole turret press kit
    With auto disk powder measure
    Lee safety scale
    Extra turret
    Case trimmer, chamfer tool and lock stud
    Lee primer pocket cleaner
    Lee Autoprime XR
    Lee perfect powder measure
    Lee .223 rem dies
    Rcbs deburring tool
    Digital caliper that measures to .001"
    Lyman 49th edition manual
    Lyman funnel
    Lyman spray case lube
    1000 CCI 400 small rifle primers
    About 1000 .223 cases sorted by head stamp
    Some Hornady 55gr FMJ-BR w/ cannelure bullets
    Hogdon H335 powder
    Misc extras

What I think I need:

Tumbler
    Media
    Case length gauge and shell holder
    Bullet boxes
    Electronic scale
    More load data and reloading books
    More bullets
    Headspace gauge

So... what else....?

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I'd dump the Lee safety scale and get an RCBS 505 beam, I never could get my Lee scale to work right.
    You mentioned an electronic scale, I've got an RCBS 1500 chargemaster combo that I absolutely love for working up loads.
    Looks like your on the right track.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Check the sticky threads...

Unless you are planning on spending big bucks on an electronic, I'd stay away from an electronic scale. Get a beam scale instead, you'll be a lot happier with it. With that said, if you do go for an electronic scale, get the RCBS ChargeMaster combo.

Get books from the MFG's of the bullets you plan on using.

Get a Harbor Freight tumbler and get the media at a pet store to save some money.

I have had good luck with the RCBS all in one shell holder trays and I use them all the time.

You will need a bench!!!!

Have you ever reloaded before or has anybody taught you how to reload?

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    Check the sticky threads...

Unless you are planning on spending big bucks on an electronic, I'd stay away from an electronic scale. Get a beam scale instead, you'll be a lot happier with it. With that said, if you do go for an electronic scale, get the RCBS ChargeMaster combo.

Get books from the MFG's of the bullets you plan on using.

Get a Harbor Freight tumbler and get the media at a pet store to save some money.

I have had good luck with the RCBS all in one shell holder trays and I use them all the time.

You will need a bench!!!!

Have you ever reloaded before or has anybody taught you how to reload?

I'll check out Harbor Freight. I've assisted a friend And my father in law in loading few rounds but nothing serous. I have a bench that I use for everything. I'm thinking I might need a dedicated bench for loading though.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Caliber specific cartridge boxes with labels. Get in the habit of filling out your load data on your box labels, so you know what you are shooting.

Nothing worse then finding a pet load, without writing it down only to forget.

You may want to get yourself a notebook/3 ring binder, that you can keep your downloaded load data, and an ammo log of your pet loads (loads that work well for you) so that you can reference them when needed.

You can get some good free load data online via powder manufacters web site. Some are in PDF. Hodgdon has a nice printer friendly utility, that will print out their load data for you.

Most of the load data in Lee's "Modern Reloading" is free data that you can find online from Powder & Bullet Co's, since Lee does not do any of its own pressure testing.

Electronic scales are easy to use, but learn & understand how to use a balance beam scale. You wont ever need batteries for one, they are very accurate. The recommendation for the 505 scale is a good one. The Lee one is very flimsy, and in some cases dont work.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Depending on the powder you use, the Auto Disk may not throw quite enough of a charge for .223.

H335 (mentioned in your OP) will go up to 24.3 grains, which will work.

If you are reloading for an AR rifle, CCI recommends using the #450 Small Rifle Magnum primer or the #41 Military primer. They have thicker cups to reduce the risk of a slam fire. Many manuals recommend a Magnum primer with ball powders, such as H335.

And Lapua brass is not worth the money in an gas gun. Maybe in bolt rifle. Lake City, Remington, and Winchester work as well and are cheaper.

Kelson1066

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2012
    Frederick County
    There is a double disk conversion to use with the disk powder measure. Single throws of powder in 223/5.56 are possible using it.

I use the Lee adjustable charge bar you can get a pretty accurate throw by adjusting in .1cc intervals.

Though you may have to do some trial and error to come up with your exact cc for your pet load.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Looks good, next step is to make some rounds!

For a case length gauge, you can just use the chamber of the gun you are loading for (take the upper off and the BCG out).

I would look at a Lee Factory Crimp die and add that step to your loads, its a bit easier than trying to lock in both seating depth and crimp at the same time with your seat die.

For plinking rounds, I use the Frankford Arsenal electronic scale (20 bux on amazon) and it works great, just replace the batteries every couple months as it gets a little flaky when the batteries are low (accurate for any electronic scale I'd imagine). I have the RCBS 505 beam scale, and only use it to confirm the electronic once or twice a session.

I have a Lee Adjustable charge bar and yes you can use it for .223 rifle rounds, but two things stop me: first, H335 is a fine ball powder and sometimes leaks out of my Lee measure on the press, so I use an RCBS Uniflow for rifle rounds. A bit slower as you have to remove the round from the press to charge it, but I combine that step with measuring the length after resizing.

Second, my setup uses a 4-hole turret like yours, and its setup like this:

1st station - Lee Universal decapper
    2nd station - RCBS sizing die
    3rd station - RCBS seating die
    4th station - Lee Factory crimp die

With this setup I have no room for the Lee auto charge, so I just resize, measure and either toss it in the "needs trimming" box or charge it on the Uniflow and put it back on the press to finish it.

Works well for me, you get in a rythm and it goes pretty good. No where near the volume of a 650, but enough for me.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom