Spent Brass is Illegal in D.C.? Cops ordered to arrest. WTF?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Well, I did have a 9mm brass "cookie cutter" the bottom of some shoes at the range once.

It was uncomfortable on my poor little foot.

If this saves one sole....it's worth it.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Really... in a normal jurisdiction (i.e. not DC), would the presence of spent brass (let's say a .45 in the ashtray and not 200 rounds of 7.62 rolling around on the floor) be considered probably cause for a search?

Best way to find out... 1. find your least favorite politicians' car parked in DC somewhere with windows or sunroof cracked; 2. dump in mass quantity of used brass from the range; 3. call it in; 4. youtube the results. :D.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Ok ill just say this......we have NEVER been instructed to arrests tourist for this or citizens alike. In fact its the opposite we have been told to not arrest people for unregistered ammo ESPECIALLY non residents that have ammo but no gun.

As a reference point I am in a unit that comes across a lot of guns and tons of sources who give us info on illegal guns all the time.

The article is just trying to stir up emotions about the city's terrible gun laws. As a member of that department I can say I've only been told the opposite by my superiors and that's 5 years worth of dept knowledge.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Ok ill just say this......we have NEVER been instructed to arrests tourist for this or citizens alike. In fact its the opposite we have been told to not arrest people for unregistered ammo ESPECIALLY non residents that have ammo but no gun.

As a reference point I am in a unit that comes across a lot of guns and tons of sources who give us info on illegal guns all the time.

The article is just trying to stir up emotions about the city's terrible gun laws. As a member of that department I can say I've only been told the opposite by my superiors and that's 5 years worth of dept knowledge.

Makes those oppressive laws kinda pointless. Just alot of wasted ink to make libs feel better.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Makes those oppressive laws kinda pointless. Just alot of wasted ink to make libs feel better.

Ill agree to that but we both know my post will be dead in about 6 more responses and people will continue to bitch over information that this officer has a great knowledge of.

Again, we've never been told that, actually the opposite.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Ill agree to that but we both know my post will be dead in about 6 more responses and people will continue to bitch over information that this officer has a great knowledge of.

I believe what you're saying is true, and it's good to know, but that they would even have laws like this on the books is still ridiculous even if they're not being enforced.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

Is it possible not all your brethren are told the same thing?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Is it possible not all your brethren are told the same thing?

No, the "Don't arrest non residents for unregistered ammo especially hunting rounds was an in house teletype sent to EVERY member of MPD in an email and signed by the chief.

Teletypes are not public info though so she would never see it. I'm comfortable mentioning it currently because in this thread I feel that you all should know although the city does have some rough laws we are told to use "discretion" on specific petty things so that we can focus on robberies and domestic violence, which combined take up 75% of a patrol officers time and are more pressing.

Hopefully those who have common sense can understand why discretion is in quotes.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I believe what you're saying is true, and it's good to know, but that they would even have laws like this on the books is still ridiculous even if they're not being enforced.

For the same reason its illegal to tie a rhino to a telephone pole in Tn.

Same reason oral sex is illegal in some states.

Same reason its illegal to whistle in some counties

Same reason keeping a bawdy house in DC is a criminal offense (dirty house)

And the same reason expertiating in public (spitting) is actually still a on the book charge in dc.

Cuz someone did something stupid, then some more stupid people got together and made a stupid law after using 10k of stupid tax payers money, and now we follow it because we were stupid and elected stupid people to enact stupid laws :D

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    It would be worth it to pop a note to Emily Miller.

Should of used the multi quote function hahaha

But no I won't because even though in this instance I have personal knowledge of her being wrong.......I like what she is doing, and she's hot.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    For the same reason its illegal to tie a rhino to a telephone pole in Tn.

Same reason oral sex is illegal in some states.

Same reason its illegal to whistle in some counties

Same reason keeping a bawdy house in DC is a criminal offense (dirty house)

And the same reason expertiating in public (spitting) is actually still a on the book charge in dc.

Cuz someone did something stupid, then some more stupid people got together and made a stupid law after using 10k of stupid tax payers money, and now we follow it because we were stupid and elected stupid people to enact stupid laws :D

Well dammit... I want to be able to whistle when I drive by the bawdy house and I see someone giving oral sex to the tied-up rhino while I'm spitting and tossing spent casings out the window onto the sidewalk.

I was born and raised in DC. It's pretty pathetic to read this. If this law had been in effect or in force back in the 80's, I would have been busted over and over because I was in the rifle club at my HS. It was and is located in DC and back then, it had an indoor range under the gym. Not sure if its there any longer as they did a ton of work to the place. But I used to have .22 shell casings falling out of my jackets and book bags all the time.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I was born and raised in DC. It's pretty pathetic to read this. If this law had been in effect or in force back in the 80's, I would have been busted over and over because I was in the rifle club at my HS. It was and is located in DC and back then, it had an indoor range under the gym. Not sure if its there any longer as they did a ton of work to the place. But I used to have .22 shell casings falling out of my jackets and book bags all the time.

My wife keeps finding the in the drier or washer.. lol

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    For those that have any doubt...here is the actual law enacted that covers ammo "cases". DC defines ammunition as follows:

(2) “Ammunition”
    means cartridge cases, shells, projectiles (including shot),
    primers, bullets (including restricted pistol bullets), propellant powder, or
    other devices or materials designed, redesigned, or intended for use in a
    firearm or destructive device

Straight from -> DC Law: Title 6, Chapter 23: Firearms Control
    Subchapter I. General Provisions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads