• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frostburg

Jan 1, 2015
    So I have been a lifelong MD resident, but then moved out of state after college. I've been living outside of Maryland for the past 3 years. I may or may not move back to Maryland in the next few months (lots of decisions to make).

I am planning on purchasing a Glock 45 in my current state prior to moving back to Maryland (if I do move back).

What would I need to do in order to bring a handgun back into Maryland when moving to Maryland? From what I understand, I need to register the handgun. Is that it? What else goes into it? I checked the Maryland govt. webpage, and it says that I would have 90 days to register the handgun once back in Maryland. But it says there is a 90 day approval period. What do they need to approve? Could they deny me from having the Glock?

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    You need to register it.

If you happen to have a Maryland disqualifying issue, MSP could deny the application and they will come for the gun (at that point, you can get it out of your possession via FFL). Maryland disqualifying reasons are much more draconian than other states'.

Yes, you could be ok in another state until you come to Maryland.

There have been a couple of people caught up in Maryland's web of gun laws and had to get rid of their guns while they sort out Maryland issues.

Not saying it's the case with you, but plan accordingly.

Bobcat '87 here

Frostburg

Jan 1, 2015
    You need to register it.

If you happen to have a Maryland disqualifying issue, MSP could deny the application and they will come for the gun (at that point, you can get it out of your possession via FFL). Maryland disqualifying reasons are much more draconian than other states'.

Yes, you could be ok in another state until you come to Maryland.

There have been a couple of people caught up in Maryland's web of gun laws and had to get rid of their guns while they sort out Maryland issues.

Not saying it's the case with you, but plan accordingly.

Bobcat '87 here

Wait, you're telling me that if I purchase my Glock legally in West Virginia, Maryland can confiscate it once I move there if I register it and they deem me to be a prohibited person??

That does not sound right at all. What about my other unregistered firearms? Can they confiscate them? This does not sound correct to me. I'm not a prohibited person, but this is still concerning to me given the draconian standards Maryland has.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Wait, you're telling me that if I purchase my Glock legally in West Virginia, Maryland can confiscate it once I move there if I register it and they deem me to be a prohibited person??

That does not sound right at all. What about my other unregistered firearms? Can they confiscate them? This does not sound correct to me. I'm not a prohibited person, but this is still concerning to me given the draconian standards Maryland has.

Maryland gun laws suck

Don't move here

Frostburg

Jan 1, 2015

Okay, so in this thread, the guy is saying that he moved to MD with a bunch of firearms, got his HQL, and then proceeded to obtain a 77R for all his previously owned firearms.

That's the problem. From what I understand, you are not legally obligated to do a 77R on previously legally owned firearms bought in other states. You just need to register them. Ofcourse if he willingly allows MD free reign to conduct 77R investigations, then they may deem him to be prohibited.

Legally, all I need to do is register the Glock within 90 days of moving to MD. No 77R background check is required. Unless as part of the 90 day approval, they do a background check such as that. Like I said, I don't have any prohibitions, but I do worry about some archaic rule coming back and saying I can't own a firearm I legally purchased while a resident of another state.

Frostburg

Jan 1, 2015
    Okay, I just called and spoke to a rep at Atlantic Guns, and he said that when you move to MD, you go online to register and click 77R and do the "voluntary registration," but that's it. Unlike when you are purchasing a handgun in-state, there is no additional background check. It's a 5 minute process just to tell MD that you own this handgun. But once you have already legally purchased it in a different state, they can't confiscate it.

Frostburg

Jan 1, 2015
    I just now called the Maryland State Police, pressed 1 for their handgun licensing division to ask them this question as well. I got a recording that said I called after hours, so I will call them tomorrow to ask them this question.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Okay, I just called and spoke to a rep at Atlantic Guns, and he said that when you move to MD, you go online to register and click 77R and do the "voluntary registration," but that's it. Unlike when you are purchasing a handgun in-state, there is no additional background check. It's a 5 minute process just to tell MD that you own this handgun. But once you have already legally purchased it in a different state, they can't confiscate it.

If you are a prohibited person by Maryland standards (or become one in the future), you can not be in possession of a firearm. Where you purchased it does not matter. So yes, it can be confiscated, or you may be able (ie, be required) to legally part with it in some other fashion.

Clearly you have a connection to Frostburg (I'm a talented observer of the obvious :)), if you plan to move back to that area why not live just a few minutes farther away in PA or WV? MD laws are likely to get worse in the coming years, not better.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    But once you have already legally purchased it in a different state, they can't confiscate it.

Not so sure about that.
    Back in 2013 they passed some more ******** that retroactively made law abiding productive citizens prohibited overnight for slight problems from 30+ years ago. Don't underestimate what Maryland will do to F** with gunowners.

Frostburg

Jan 1, 2015
    Not so sure about that.
    Back in 2013 they passed some more ******** that retroactively made law abiding productive citizens prohibited overnight for slight problems from 30+ years ago. Don't underestimate what Maryland will do to F** with gunowners.

Like I said, I don't have any reasons to be prohibited. But MD has questionable standards, and they are anti-gun. I'm leery of them performing any screening process where they can "deem" something as prohibitive, such as a history of seeing a therapist. Without having filled out a 77R, there is no way for them to even check a person. Biggest fear, once a state deems you as prohibited, your 2A rights go out of the window nation wide.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Like I said, I don't have any reasons to be prohibited. But MD has questionable standards, and they are anti-gun. I'm leery of them performing any screening process where they can "deem" something as prohibitive, such as a history of seeing a therapist. Without having filled out a 77R, there is no way for them to even check a person. Biggest fear, once a state deems you as prohibited, your 2A rights go out of the window nation wide.
    Look if you don't have any issues you'll be fine. Maryland checks about 17 databases so it is conceivable something could pop up there that another state doesn't have visibility to. That's what people are trying to tell you.

And yes if they investigate it further after you voluntarily register it on a 77r they can make you get rid of it.

If you don't have anything out there that could be in those databases, mental health issues, medical marijuana cards, things like that, you'll be fine.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom