• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    I've recently acquired a nice old Hickok tube tester that is calibrated and accurate.

It can test all common preamp, power and rectifier tubes used in guitar amps and hifi amps (except 12-pin Compactron tubes).

So if you're in the Columbia MD area during work hours and need a few tubes tested, hit me up! No charge for MDS members. I've tested all of my tubes so the tester is just sitting here in my office….

Just throwing this out in case we have any musicians or hifi heads with tubes of unknown condition that need testing.

madmantrapper

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    Carroll County
    I'm trying to remember the last thing I worked on that used tubes. I think it was a TV for a lady in English Council about 1972, maybe something later but can't remember.

Paul

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    I'm trying to remember the last thing I worked on that used tubes. I think it was a TV for a lady in English Council about 1972, maybe something later but can't remember.

Paul

haha - yeah. My local TV repair shops don't even have a tester anymore, which is why I jump on one when the opportunity crossed my path.

The better guitar amps are still all tube (Fender, Marshall, Mesa, etc.), which is the reason that I still use tubes and have a tube tester…

I think a lot of HAM radio guys still use tube gear also.

Drew1340

Nov 30, 2010
    AA county
    do you know anything about switching tubes, I think my amps tubes went bad and I need to change them, but not sure if it is just the tubes or if something else went wrong, pm with any helpful info or in the thread if you don't mind... could really use some help... thanks
    drew

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    do you know anything about switching tubes, I think my amps tubes went bad and I need to change them, but not sure if it is just the tubes or if something else went wrong, pm with any helpful info or in the thread if you don't mind... could really use some help... thanks
    drew

Guitar amp? What are the symptoms?

Typically preamp tubes die first, but will usually get noisy/weak/squeally before dying outright…

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    I just parted with my only vacuum tube gear: a Heathkit SB-200 HF linear amplifier. Otherwise, I would have had a pair of 572B tubes (spares) to test.

Have fun!

Drew1340

Nov 30, 2010
    AA county
    guitar amp, powers up but wont actually give an amplified sound, channels wont change from clean to distortion, and so on... I have left it alone for over a year or so now, due to just being lazy with guitar equipment and being more involved on the firearms interest

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Hey that's good to know. I had a Hickock Model 6000 I think, was red. Through it away because I figured I'd never need it again. Now I have 4 Amps full of 12at7's, 6L6's , etc.
    Lol.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    Man that brings back some memories. When I was a kid and a TV or radio started acting up, my dad would pull the tubes out and we'd take them down to a TV shop in town that had one of those testing machines. Haven't seen one in ages.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I take my tubes to Read's Drug Store. :shrug: ......No wait that was in the '60's.

I have a friend who had an electronic shop out west. He got a call from a guy who had a Fender (I'll make up a number) 9999 amp.
    My friend: That's not in their catalog, they didn't make one.
    Guy on the phone: I got one.
    My friend: Bring it in.

He had one and Fender did make a handful. My friend located the 80 year old Fender engineer who had schematics and parts.

He sent the case to an airplane restorer who refinished the case and labels for all the knobs and switches. He was able to fix the electronic problem.

In addition to what he charged, Willie Nelson's manager gave him a $500 tip, a lifetime pass to his shows, and two, TWO, weekend passes to a Nevada House of Adult Pleasures.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    let me get my radio out and see how she looks. This might be what I need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom